Ad JS

Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BIA Corrections Officers

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BIA Corrections Officers

    Does anyone know anything about these guys. The internet is a barren wasteland when it comes to information about them.(reddit, Prison Officer.org, Google) There hiring process training PAT cant find much of anything about them at all. Anyone here Current/Former BIA CO or seen and heard things about the process. I have an application moving along with them but i honestly don't know anything about them. Hell even the BIA website seems to be down right now.

    If anyone has any light they can shed on this job it would be greatly appreciated

  • #2
    What location are you looking at? The COs work in a jail setting rather than prison setting and a lot of places require you to work five 12 hour shifts.

    The training isn't too difficult and is six weeks long in Artesia, NM.

    It is difficult bit not impossible to get promoted if you are non-native but some Chiefs will select non-native COs for police officer positions.

    The Key is location though. A lot of the reservations are very rural and housing can be an issue. Most of the time BIA housing is quiet and though old, decent. Schools can be a huge issue if you have kids. If you are married it can sometime be difficult for your spouse to find a job because of the location.

    Most of the COs seem to like the job and it is a good paying covered position to hold you over until something better comes along.

    Good luck.

    Comment


    • #3
      Don't go for that agency. They are not known for the good

      If you are looking to work in corrections I would recommend the BOP. They have over 100 prisons nationwide and tons of spots are always hiring. If you have the ability to move you will get hired quickly. They are a good step into the feds. Plenty of dudes start in BOP and move onto the USMS, ICE, BP, etc...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Too far from home View Post
        What location are you looking at? The COs work in a jail setting rather than prison setting and a lot of places require you to work five 12 hour shifts.

        The training isn't too difficult and is six weeks long in Artesia, NM.

        It is difficult bit not impossible to get promoted if you are non-native but some Chiefs will select non-native COs for police officer positions.

        The Key is location though. A lot of the reservations are very rural and housing can be an issue. Most of the time BIA housing is quiet and though old, decent. Schools can be a huge issue if you have kids. If you are married it can sometime be difficult for your spouse to find a job because of the location.

        Most of the COs seem to like the job and it is a good paying covered position to hold you over until something better comes along.

        Good luck.
        The email i received was for Yankton Agency. Is there an OJT before training like BOP or is it straight to training.
        Last edited by GldnPmtr; 01-24-2017, 05:37 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by fathitman View Post
          Don't go for that agency. They are not known for the good

          If you are looking to work in corrections I would recommend the BOP. They have over 100 prisons nationwide and tons of spots are always hiring. If you have the ability to move you will get hired quickly. They are a good step into the feds. Plenty of dudes start in BOP and move onto the USMS, ICE, BP, etc...
          I have an application in with BOP at my two closest FCCs i haven't heard anything yet. At this point i am willing to take anything because with the new political climate it doesn't look like my current job with TSA will be around next year

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by GldnPmtr View Post

            The email i received was for Yankton Agency. Is there an OJT before training like BOP or is it straight to training.
            You will start OJT pretty quickly after you start. You will probably have a few days to do some paperwork and then start. They have a corrections class a few times a year and it will probably take a few months to get into a class.

            I don't know a lot about that agency. I think they have BIA Corrections and a Tribal Police Department. Depending on your goals it should be fairly easy for you to get picked up as a police officer in Standing Rock since that agency is in the same district.

            Yankton doesn't seem to be too big of a town but it looks like it is close enough to live in if you don't mind the drive to work.

            Good luck. ..

            Comment


            • #7
              Why wouldn't your TSA job be there and what does it have to do with politics?
              Now go home and get your shine box!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                Why wouldn't your TSA job be there and what does it have to do with politics?
                With the climate of contracting government work and reducing the federal work force. In addition to the head of OMB being famous for wanting the privatize TSA. I have had more then one manager say we should start looking for greener pastures

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by GldnPmtr View Post

                  I have an application in with BOP at my two closest FCCs i haven't heard anything yet. At this point i am willing to take anything because with the new political climate it doesn't look like my current job with TSA will be around next year
                  You got to be willing to move, even if that means across the country. You can always transfer back after a few years.

                  Comment

                  MR300x250 Tablet

                  Collapse

                  What's Going On

                  Collapse

                  There are currently 6534 users online. 196 members and 6338 guests.

                  Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                  Welcome Ad

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X