300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearing Loss in Policework

My apologies if this post is in the wrong section.

I am currently a high school senior and very involved in band, and I suspect I have acquired moderate hearing loss (I sometimes have to ask people to repeat what they said if they speak quickly and/or quietly). I am hoping to join a police department in Texas after college. Will police departments hire me if I have moderate hearing loss thanks to band? I do plan on doing band in college as well.

First, the usual disclaimer - Standards will vary from department to department, so there is no one size fits all answer.

Second, read this: http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/Hearing.pdf

While these are California's standards, the principles behind them are fairly universal among most agencies.

Third, print these standards out, take them to your audiologist and ask him to review them. Then ask him to pretend he is not your doctor but instead, is being paid by the police department to screen applicants and to look out for the department's best interests rather than yours. Then ask him if he would approve you for hiring based on these standards, knowing what he does about your personal condition. That will give you a ballpark idea as to where you stand.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6430 users online. 284 members and 6146 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X