300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying at a department when getting DQed at another one

Hello, I was recently DQed from one of the departments in California, I want to apply in a different state and don't want to mention that department. Will it show up in my background that I applied at that department and went thru the hiring process?

It will show up during the process. You will have to disclose it.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by denis9834 View Post
      I was recently DQed from one of the departments in California, I want to apply in a different state and don't want to mention that department.
      This is the statement of an inherently dishonest person who shouldn't be the police. It's all about integrity and people plan out the intentional omission of information do not demonstrate personal integrity.
      Originally posted by denis9834 View Post
      Will it show up in my background that I applied at that department and went thru the hiring process?
      It will, in all likelihood, show up.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

Even if you don't want to disclose it, you have to. It's an integrity thing.

Your failure to disclose will reflect poorly on your integrity when other agencies see you omitted that you were DQ'd.

Comment

There is a lot of nonsense being spouted here. First off, I would be extremely surprised if it "showed up" in another state's background investigation. I don't know of any database that shares that kind of information. Secondly, if the other agency doesn't ask there is no reason to bring it up. Frankly, I haven't seen many applications that ask such a question. I have seen Federal applications ask if you've been denied a security clearance, but rarely do they ask if you've been disqualified from a job. Lots of people fail a polygraph from one agency and then go on to get hired in another one. Besides, different agencies have different qualifications for hire. My best advice is to answer the questionnaire truthfully and don't offer up information that isn't asked. There isn't anything dishonest about doing it this way.

Comment

Originally posted by o2force10 View Post
            There is a lot of nonsense being spouted here. First off, I would be extremely surprised if it "showed up" in another state's background investigation. I don't know of any database that shares that kind of information. Secondly, if the other agency doesn't ask there is no reason to bring it up. Frankly, I haven't seen many applications that ask such a question. I have seen Federal applications ask if you've been denied a security clearance, but rarely do they ask if you've been disqualified from a job. Lots of people fail a polygraph from one agency and then go on to get hired in another one. Besides, different agencies have different qualifications for hire. My best advice is to answer the questionnaire truthfully and don't offer up information that isn't asked. There isn't anything dishonest about doing it this way.
            Multiple personal history statements that I have completed have asked me to list each law enforcement agency to which I have applied. Under each agency, I had to list the position, what stage of the process I had made it to, and my background investigator's contact info. It's not unheard of.

But yes, OP should fill out the PHS honestly, but s/he shouldn't volunteer information that is not asked. People being DQ'd from one agency and getting hired at another is not all too rare, but honesty is very necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by aspiring_fed View Post

Multiple personal history statements that I have completed have asked me to list each law enforcement agency to which I have applied. Under each agency, I had to list the position, what stage of the process I had made it to, and my background investigator's contact info. It's not unheard of.

But yes, OP should fill out the PHS honestly, but s/he shouldn't volunteer information that is not asked. People being DQ'd from one agency and getting hired at another is not all too rare, but honesty is very necessary.
              I concur, every law enforcement agency I applied to coming out of college asked about previous places I applied to and the result of that hiring process. So its not nonsense.

Comment

The only way they know if you applied elsewhere is if you were fingerprinted for an FBI check at any agency, it would show up as for employment purposes, from what I've been told. Even if you didn't mention it, it depends on the background investigator but a good thorough one would contact local agencies where you lived to find out if you applied. Even then the information is limited to what they provide. I suggest you list it if they ask, if not then don't list it.
                “Dedication is not what others expect of you, it is what you can give to others.”

"Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see."

Comment

There is a lot of nonsense being spouted here.
                  The nonsense begins in the next sentence.
                  First off, I would be extremely surprised if it "showed up" in another state's background investigation.
                  I would be surprised if you have ever conducted any type of background investigation for any law enforcement agency. Any decent investigator could and would EASILY find this information.
                  I don't know of any database that shares that kind of information.
                  I don't either, but if I found one I would use it. A database like this would have saved me many phone calls and visits to merit commission offices in the past.
                  Secondly, if the other agency doesn't ask there is no reason to bring it up.
                  Nobody here told him to volunteer information that wasn't requested / required. If you read the OP, he states that he didn't want to mention it and asks if it will "show up".
                  Frankly, I haven't seen many applications that ask such a question.
                  There are a lot of things in life that I haven't seen either.
                  I have seen Federal applications ask if you've been denied a security clearance, but rarely do they ask if you've been disqualified from a job.
                  Rarely? As percentages go, how many out of a hundred ask if the candidate has been disqualified from a job?
                  Lots of people fail a polygraph from one agency and then go on to get hired in another one. Besides, different agencies have different qualifications for hire.
                  Correct.
                  My best advice is to answer the questionnaire truthfully and don't offer up information that isn't asked. There isn't anything dishonest about doing it this way.
                  This was all you really had to say in order to offer good advice, but you felt the need to drive in the fast lane.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

I applied to the Department of Public Safety to become a State Trooper. When I did the polygraph, the examiner asked what agencies I've applied to. Nothing more than that.

Comment

I wouldn't do anything to conceal or be deceptive in your application process. Background investigations and polygraphs can reveal many things about you that maybe you didn't even remember, so I believe I would disclose it upfront rather than take the chance of it being discovered during a background or the polygraph and leave your potential employer wondering if you were trying to hide it from them. It would reflect badly on your future employer's opinion of your integrity, and that could lead to yet another DQ.
                      My comments are my personal opinion and are based on my life experiences and training. They are not to be construed as legal advice in any form as I am not an attorney. Should you act on any of the information I provide in my comments, you do so at your own risk!!

Comment

Originally posted by DeskPoP View Post
                        The only way they know if you applied elsewhere is if you were fingerprinted for an FBI check at any agency, it would show up as for employment purposes, from what I've been told. Even if you didn't mention it, it depends on the background investigator but a good thorough one would contact local agencies where you lived to find out if you applied. Even then the information is limited to what they provide. I suggest you list it if they ask, if not then don't list it.
                        Is this true? The FBI checks shows if a person was fingerprinted for employment at a local LE agency...

I believe the check only shows fingerprints part of a criminal record....

If anyone knows otherwise?

Comment

Originally posted by Lee23 View Post

Is this true? The FBI checks shows if a person was fingerprinted for employment at a local LE agency...

I believe the check only shows fingerprints part of a criminal record....

If anyone knows otherwise?
                          Been that way since the 80's from what I was told..
                          “Dedication is not what others expect of you, it is what you can give to others.”

"Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see."

Comment

Don't mention it if not asked...it's your personal business, not theirs. Lots of good applicants get dq'd for reasons out of their control (nepotism, affirmative action policies or the voodoo box). You don't have to carry a box of negatives to every dept/agency you apply too, if your background is otherwise clean and your education/experience qualify you.

Last edited by Brightshape; 01-25-2017, 05:45 PM.

Comment

I got DQed for integrity, i did not put down my sealed record that i had 17 years ago when i was a teen. If other departments see that, do i have a chance of getting hired with them?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3856 users online. 190 members and 3666 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X