300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Marshal Duties

Hey there, just curious about the USMS and wanting some current info. When applying for an 1811 position, do all new marshals start working within the court system or are you able to go straight into fugitive work ? Any word on USMS getting auto GS-13 ? I know this has been on the table for some time.

Thanks

You won't be going to Fugitive out of the gate.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

All depends on where they need you. Some start in the courts, others start elsewhere. Realize that the USMS is an extremely versatile agency. Fugitive , witness protection and drug gigs (the more glamours stuff) usually go to those who have been on for a while.
      Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

I'm not with USMS, but an 1811 with another agency. I had a co-worker who was with USMS for 8 years, solid dude, never got to fugitives. He said if he did he would have never left. From what I understand a lot of folks think USMS is all about fugitive type work, when in reality it's a lot of courthouse work and prisoner stuff.

But I guess it also depends on where you get assigned and the "needs of the agency"....

Comment

All will depend on where you work. No, you will not be doing full time fugitive work right out of the gate. Depending on the office, they may have rotations set up or in smaller offices you work your cases around court and other prisoner related duties. Remember court operations are the primary responsibilty of the USMS. We have to work our cases (unless you get promoted/rotated to full time warrants) around court. Yes, we do dignitary protection, civil forfeiture and other work, but court comes first when you are in general operations.

As for GS-13, I'd like to be optimisitc, but the reality is I highly doubt it will happen. To get a GS-13 in the USMS, you must promote to it

Comment

Originally posted by m.p.c View Post
            All will depend on where you work. No, you will not be doing full time fugitive work right out of the gate. Depending on the office, they may have rotations set up or in smaller offices you work your cases around court and other prisoner related duties. Remember court operations are the primary responsibilty of the USMS. We have to work our cases (unless you get promoted/rotated to full time warrants) around court. Yes, we do dignitary protection, civil forfeiture and other work, but court comes first when you are in general operations.

As for GS-13, I'd like to be optimisitc, but the reality is I highly doubt it will happen. To get a GS-13 in the USMS, you must promote to it
            Thanks for the reply. How realistic is it to end up in full time warrants/fugitive, and what kind of timeline are you looking at ? The USMS interests me but I'd be lying if I said I had a big interest in working the courts or transport for any longer than necessary to move into the above role. Is GS-13 promotion a supervisory position or are you able to remain in fugitive/warrants ?

Thanks

Comment

From the Marshals I know, WIT-SEC is a
              much better spot than Being a Manhunter.

Comment

Originally posted by Esco View Post
                From the Marshals I know, WIT-SEC is a
                much better spot than Being a Manhunter.
                Whys that ?

Comment

Look at five years as a general planning period until you move up in LE.

Comment

It also depends on which office you get assisnged to. You have more chance on gettting the border office and DC... which is a grinder off the bat. I've had classmates who went to a small office (office with less than 5 deputies) who will have a chance to out and about day 1. From then, it's up to you...

Comment

• AZdeputy84
                      AZdeputy84 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Does working in DC suck? I’m from there and want to move back. I put only region 2 on my dream sheet hoping to get DC. If I get picked up...

• CamTwin2017
                      CamTwin2017 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sir, is there any insight you can give me what a new Deputy would be doing in Phoenix? Thanks in advance.

Given that the OP actually spelled Marshal correctly, he may jump the line.

Comment

Like any other fed agency and PD, your experience with then will depend on which agency it is, your bosses and what you make of it. Personally, with the USMS, I think a small to medium size district is best because you get a chance to do a bit of everything.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7540 users online. 245 members and 7295 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X