300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLM and Forest Service LEO 2016

Just put my applications in for both of these jobs.

Anyone worked for these guys? Seems like it would be a good gig to get

I rarely see BLM hiring for their LEO spots

Figured I would throw them up on here.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/457889400/

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/459561100/

Also Forest Service LEO spots

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/459353000/

I've worked for both. Positives and negatives for both agencies. The FS is structurally broke and upper management is horrid. The FS has amazing land to work, but garbage management. The BLM has less amazing land, but better management. Both DOA and DOI also manage things differently as far as policies, etc. It really comes down to working at a location where you are happy.

Comment

There will be a USFWS LEO announcement out in the next couple weeks, however they're not planning on hiring the numbers they did the last two or three go arounds.

I have a feeling Alaska BLM already knows who they want since they announced as a Recent Graduate announcement. With land management agencies those jobs typically go to someone they know.

The USFS LEO jobs are going to be very competitive since they haven't had any hiring in about 4 or more years. Like Wildstar said, management sucks. There was just another morale killer in the past few weeks. Officers are on maxi-flex schedules (good thing) but are now required to work Fri/Sat/Sun as part of their core days, previously that decision was made by the officer/local Captain. As far as I know this is nationwide, my local USFS LEOs just told me about it last week.

Comment

When it comes down to it Park Ranger LEO is my dream job. A mix of being out in the wilderness with law enforcement seems like it would be a blast to do even if management is not the best. As long as my paychecks keep coming I don't mind working for a ok agency.

I am hoping that people miss the job posting to increase my chances of getting picked up. But with my military, disability rating and expierence I should be at the top of the list.

I have to ask whats with the NPS needing you to get their commision before they will even hire you.

Comment

Originally posted by fathitman View Post
          As long as my paychecks keep coming I don't mind working for a ok agency.
          It's easy to say that until you actually work for terrible upper management and a terrible supervisor who makes your life pure hell by dictating every move you make. Trust me, your happiness is not worth it.

Comment

Just put my applications in for both of these jobs.

Anyone worked for these guys? Seems like it would be a good gig to get

I rarely see BLM hiring for their LEO spots

Figured I would throw them up on here.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/457889400/

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/459561100/

Also Forest Service LEO spots

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/459353000/
            I hope you have experience because now that you announced to everyone that the annoucement is open you slimmed the chances for everyone.
            Last edited by C/ONWA1; 12-19-2016, 10:22 PM.

Comment

I am hoping that people miss the job posting to increase my chances of getting picked up. But with my military, disability rating and expierence I should be at the top of the list.

I have to ask whats with the NPS needing you to get their commision before they will even hire you.
              Veterans preference doesn't apply on Status Candidates announcements like these, so the list will most likely be rated by experience & education alone. And it seems like NPS wants you to do seasonal work with them before allowing you to apply full-time, which requires the self-sponsored academy first. Probably a good way for them to make sure they get qualified candidates.

Comment

No offense, but that comes across as very pretentious and assuming. I hope by experience you mean you're already a LMPT/SLETP graduate with ranger experience, because that military/disability rating alone isn't even going to get you looked at much less put you "at the top of the list". Announcements like these can be incredibly competitive.

I can pretty much guarantee prior military service, degrees, and prior natural resource experience are going to be a dime a dozen for these announcements. With many applicants having all three.

Not saying you shouldn't have put in for it, the only guarantee to not getting hired is not applying. Best of luck.

Comment

Their application site was absolute garbage, I am not sure my application was even complete and had all documents correctly attached. Tried from multiple computers.
                  UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
                  "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

Originally posted by battlewagon View Post
                    Their application site was absolute garbage, I am not sure my application was even complete and had all documents correctly attached. Tried from multiple computers.
                    Use USAJOBs to upload everything and the site is pretty standard for most agencies. Maybe your browser was the issue?

Anyways they are referring apps now. As of today all of my apps I put in are referred now.

Also Land Management Law Enforcement Officer

just opened

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/460202300/

Comment

Hey everyone. I'm new to the site. I just applied for the last BLM posting in Idaho.

Comment

Anyways they are referring apps now. As of today all of my apps I put in are referred now.
                        "They" as in USFS or BLM?

Comment

Originally posted by SteelCustodian View Post

No offense, but that comes across as very pretentious and assuming. I hope by experience you mean you're already a LMPT/SLETP graduate with ranger experience, because that military/disability rating alone isn't even going to get you looked at much less put you "at the top of the list". Announcements like these can be incredibly competitive.

I can pretty much guarantee prior military service, degrees, and prior natural resource experience are going to be a dime a dozen for these announcements. With many applicants having all three.

Not saying you shouldn't have put in for it, the only guarantee to not getting hired is not applying. Best of luck.
                          Ya.

Those who are new to federal land management agencies probably never heard of this but in 2015 Congress passed the Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act which says if you've worked in temporary positions for USFS/BLM/BOR/NPS/USFWS/BIA for over 24 months cumulative then you can apply as a status candidate for job announcements for those agencies.

OPM implemented the law about this time last year. So what this means is all of those seasonal workers who have been floating around for years but weren't making permanent certs because they lacked vet status are now making the status candidate certs. The NPS is filling most of their permanent jobs now (within the past year) not with vets but with those longterm seasonal employees who they can now hire off of status only certs.

Comment

Originally posted by wildlife97 View Post

"They" as in USFS or BLM?
                            The USFS referred my apps. The other agencies are taking their time.

Only reason they are moving it so fast is "We expect to make a final job offer approximately 40 days after the deadline for applications."

They are trying to hire quickly

Comment

I received the following email today...

"Due to the fact that a sufficient number of qualified Veteran and Compensable Veteran candidate applications were received, no further determination as to your qualifications or eligibility was made and your application was not referred to the selecting official.

We appreciate your interest in employment with Bureau of Land Management and the time taken to apply for this position."

Back to square one for me.
                              Last edited by wheresthebeef; 01-10-2017, 12:54 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8396 users online. 340 members and 8056 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X