Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most exercise on their own time as CITP can vary from instructor to instructor. Some like to lift. Some like to run. Some like to drink on the weekdays. Most guys I know didn't to a whole lot of anything during CITP.

Comment

CITP classes are built around 48 students. Some may have a few less than that, but the program is designed for 48 students with the class broken into two groups. Within those two groups will be three teams each. Those teams will be your working group. Those 8 people will do everything together in class for 12 weeks. Your practical exercises, your labs, your driving etc etc. My first time through in 98 was all one agency of 48 students. The second time through (new agency required me to go again since it was so long ago) last winter was a mix of 13 different agencys... my team was 2 HSI, 4 Fish & Wildlife, 1 CBP Air & Marine and 1 FPS.

FLETC is all dependant on how you take it. You can have a good time and make some life long friends, enjoy the weekends and do some sight seeing, or you can complain and bitch about the food and the dorms and be that person no one wants to hang out with after hours. The first way, time will fly by, but the second way will have those 25 weeks drag on like alife sentence

For the PT, start jogging now. Work up to a8 or 9 minute mile pace that you can hold for 3 miles and you will be way ahead of the curve. Do push ups and sit ups in 2 minute blocks. Work up to a level where you run out of time before you reach muscle failure. Work on pull ups, if you can do 5 good chin ups you are fine.

The PEB is pretty easy, its the mat room sessions that can injure you if you arent in decent shape. Some type of aerobic class at your gym twice a week combined with the other body weight exercises will have you more than ready for FLETC by february.

Comment

Sorry to thread jack. I know the bench press test at FLETC is on a machine. Would a chest press machine be comparable to that? My gym (it's small) doesn't have a bench press machine but does have a chest press machine.

Comment

That should work. You can also do dumbbell presses, pushups, as well as tricep and shoulder accessory work.

Comment

Is the PEB at CITP pass/fail ? I'm looking at the 75% scores needed to 'pass' and an 11:09 run is pretty fast. I'm no slouch but I'm worried if thats the case. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by VETTE277 View Post
              Is the PEB at CITP pass/fail ? I'm looking at the 75% scores needed to 'pass' and an 11:09 run is pretty fast. I'm no slouch but I'm worried if thats the case. Thanks
              The PEB is a gauge. You will take it a few times when you're there. Just TRY to improve each time.

Comment

Any suggestions on Fletc in New Mexico?

Comment

• NJdevilsFingersCrossed
                  Editing a comment
                  Get a vehicle if you can. Not much in Artesia. Some decent Mexican and the Wellhead in town is a nice brewpub with good food. If you have a vehicle you could get out of town and check out Roswell just to get away or Carlsbad. Best of luck.

Originally posted by Mason86 View Post
                Any suggestions on Fletc in New Mexico?
                Drink heavily
                I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

• battlewagon
                  battlewagon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  yup. drank more there than i ever did in college or anywhere else. i wouldnt really recommend going out of your way to buy a vehicle while at artesia. the only place in a decent drive time is roswell, and FLETC has shuttle buses that run out there on the weekends. i assure you one trip to roswell is all you need to see what it has to offer.

Glynco on the other end, definitely bring or buy a vehicle. I will have one for sale shortly before I leave, budget car, $2800. Point is, you can find some decent cars for cheap around here.

Any other tips for FLETC? Are you permitted to leave on weekends? I just got out of the academy and am now a sworn L.E. in FL so I am curious how FLETC might compare to a municipal academy. Sucks that I may have to do back to back academies, but it will be worth it in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by rhody401 View Post
                  Any other tips for FLETC? Are you permitted to leave on weekends? I just got out of the academy and am now a sworn L.E. in FL so I am curious how FLETC might compare to a municipal academy. Sucks that I may have to do back to back academies, but it will be worth it in the end.
                  It depends on the department that sends you. Basically weekends are your own time
                  I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

You'll most likely find it 'dialed down' a notch. My local academy experience was the typical "tear-down-then-build-up" model. The first weeks involved daily mind games, like the time everyone showed up for PT in gym clothes and the instructors started hollering that today's PT would be in Class A uniforms and they told us that the night before (they didn't, of course). Everyone then rushed to the locker room and because we supposedly didn't listen, everyone had to wear their shiny leather dress shoes on a five mile run instead of Nikes so let those blisters be a lesson to listen better from now on. Or they would accuse someone of not properly signing out the night before (even though the person did), doctor the sign out sheet with Whiteout, and berate the person in front of the class for not paying attention to the rules (everyone got to be 'that guy' at some point). About halfway through, they quit with the orchestrated torments and then the 'build up' phase kicked in. This won't be your experience. It's a much more civil atmosphere there.

People complain about the food but there are many options- usually half a dozen entrée choices, and a salad bar that compares with Sizzler. Chow at my local academy was one salty entrée and a salad bar with brown lettuce and some sliced tomatoes and cucumbers.

My local academy was PT at 6am, inspection at 7:30am (where everyone would stand at attention and have to answer a dog-breath instructor in your face demanding the precise legal definition of probable cause, demanding why your shoes weren't spit polish shiny, asking if you are prepared to give 110%, etc). Then class all day with a 30 minute lunch break, then more class or practical exercises in the evening. Most days were 12 hours long, the exception being Fridays. Your schedule will more resemble banker's hours (with more frequent down time).

The local academy also seemed to pride itself on sending people home (7 out of 24 didn't graduate). Now people do get sent home from there, but the focus is more on 'training' than 'weeding out'.

The facilities is an apple and oranges comparison. The local academy was one building, containing classrooms, one mat room, one weight room, chow hall, and instructor offices. Vehicle stops were practiced in the student parking lot. The firearms range was a single grassy field with a dirt berm. Definitely not the size of a small city.

The instruction was apples and oranges as well. The local academy staff was entirely comprised of local officers- even the legal classes were taught by officers who had law degrees. Some were assigned full-time to the academy but many were part-timers making a few extra bucks teaching a class or two a week. You will have more experts in their fields that come from very diverse backgrounds.

Having to do back to back academies is no fun, but you won't be the first (I've been through five academies, a testament to my love of pain and misery). Many of your classmates will have at least one under their belt. It will be worth it in the end- just keep saying that to yourself as the days tick by....

One last note, a piece of advice: classmate romances are prevalent (at least that's been my experience). I've said this before, but it bears repeating: don't do it. And don't think you can hide it, because that's not possible. Your classmates will resent and not respect you. You will be a constant target of chow hall gossip. Things will get really weird in the last couple of weeks as graduation day approaches and you will be returning to regular life. (I say 'you' in the plural sense, btw).
                    One day, lad, this will all be yours.

Comment

Ratatatat 10-4 I appreciate your comprehensive insight. I am excited for my future either fed or local. I am in FTO now and loving it. One last question, FL has a state exam at the end of the academy that you must pass to become "certified". I am from up north and this was foreign to me. It was easy if you studied, but still stressful. Do federal academies do something similar. I know there are exams throughout the time at FLETC, but is there one "big one" at the end?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Ratatatat
                        Ratatatat commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The final big written exam or final big day of skill evaluations is a local academy thing.

FLETC is a very underwhelming academy in general. I went into it thinking it was going to be mind games and paramilitary in style and I was completely wrong.

Comment

• Ratatatat
                        Ratatatat commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Silly mind games, marching from nowhere to nowhere, inspections, Sgt. Hilka always in your face.... you wanted that BS??

• OCN_1
                        OCN_1 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I was in Artesia, so it was all BP personnel. We marched everywhere and had inspections, but nobody really complained about it. Could’ve been a lot worse so a march from the class to the chow hall 20 yards (while completely pointless) was the least of our concerns

I seen someone mention a run has to be done by 11:09. Wow thats fast it thats 1.5 mile or is that a mile. Or what is the current pt final test consist of. I will be going for cbpo

Comment

• Schwook
                        Schwook commented
                        Editing a comment
                        An 11:00 1.5 mile isn't blazing fast, but, you're chugging pretty good. I don't think that would make sense considering there are guys that are retired military going to some of these academies. Maybe for the FBI HRT recruits or something.

When i was in the navy it was 1.5 miles in 12m 15sec. Cbpo cant be faster than that. Hell ice 14min 25sec for 1.5 miles to qualify so 1.5miles for 11 mins dont sound right especially for cbpo. Homeland security need toooo many ppl for that 1.5 miles to be at 11mins. I could be wrong tho

Comment

• Schwook
                        Schwook commented
                        Editing a comment
                        11 minutes might be the minimum for some kind of "tactical" team recruits. That's a pretty solid pace for just a minimum. The MAXIMUM allowable time to be considered for BUD/s is 11:30. I can't see 11:09 being a minimum.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10440 users online. 414 members and 10026 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X