300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FLETC Tips

Hello and thank you in advance! I recently received a TO for IRS Speical Agent Position and now I am thinking about FLETC. I am 29, female, 130lbs, and not partically active although I have tried insanity in the past. While IRS is participation based when it comes to PEB I don't want to be THAT person.

I am not sure when I'll be going to FLETC but chances are it's going to be between Feb 2017 and Sept 2017. I am trying to get a sense of the exercise regimen so I can get on an exercise plan. Does any one have advice for getting through FLETC. I'll be there for 25 weeks with the add-on portion.

Have a drink every night
    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

May want to start working out NOW, or you might transition to "currentlylosing". Firing up the insanity again would be a good starting point, maybe pound the pavement a few times a week. Be in shape WHEN YOU GET THERE, don't rely on FLETC to get you in shape.

Comment

I hate to shill for Crossfit but I would just join a crossfit gym and tell them what you are training for. if you don't have a history with training for something or athletics, it might be hard to find the motivation to push yourself. Go 3 times a week and do one 3-5 mile run a week.

I'm always surprised to see people on this forum go through the lengthy and rigorous application process but not prepare themselves physically. At least you've go time to prepare, so I would do as much as possible.

Comment

Since your already not very active I would not suggest you do anything too intense that may cause you an injury (i.e. Crossfit). You have worked hard to get the job, don't ruin it because of a training injury for a physical fitness standard that doesn't exist for you. Just run, do push-ups/sit ups and some mild strength training. Most everything at FLETC is cardio based stuff anyways. I hate to say it but since you are in a participation only program, physical fitness really doesn't matter to your agency. And you will not be alone because there are other agencies like that at FLETC.

Comment

Though participation for PEB is all that is required, I can tell you that for ORT in CITP you will likely get worked pretty hard. Several instructors have you do a heavy cardio based (20 min) workout prior to that day's defensive tactics techniques . Workouts included burpees, bear crawls (that was our instructor's favorite and even tougher with medicine ball) pushups, pullups, box jumps, jump rope etc. Start working now. You don't want to be suffering or get injured because you didn't prepare.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about hiring a personal trainer at my gym but it's just way too expense. $500 for 1 month consisting of 2 sessions a week. I do however think I need someone to help train me. Those classes as the gym I can do but they aren't really geared towards training for FLETC. With that being said, 8 will be getting in shape before FLETC no matter what.

Comment

My application process was over 2 years. So while in the beginning I would workout, hence finishing insanity, I kind of gave up and regular workouts due to the delays. The offer I got was pretty much out of the blue lol

Comment

typos courtesy of my long nails and small cell phone

Comment

start running definitely..my class wasnt very physical (BOP)but a lot of the others there were running everywhere in formation to their next class the chow hall etc..cut your nails. get some bug spray because they gnats will becoming out again around feb-march and its gonna start warming up.

Comment

Do cardio and body weight excersises, like pushups, situps and pullups. Crossfit style workouts are great. Don't focus too much on heavy lifting. We saw a lot of guys struggle in my class because they were used to bodybuilding. The cardio killed them. Yes the FLETC PEB has a bench press, so doing some benching will help. Just don't overdue it with weightliftiing. You want to make sure your cardio is good for the mat room. Pushups until your arms fall off

Comment

One more question. Since CITP is used for multiple agencies do many different agencies make up one class or do they separate by agency? Also, how large do CITP classes typically run? The IRS sends classes of 24 down to FLETC.

Comment

Originally posted by Currentwinner View Post
                        One more question. Since CITP is used for multiple agencies do many different agencies make up one class or do they separate by agency? Also, how large do CITP classes typically run? The IRS sends classes of 24 down to FLETC.
                        It depends. I can only speak for my agency and what I have seen, but they usually want to keep everyone in the same agency together. My CITP class consisted of all of my agency and one OIG agent. My CITP class had about 40 students in it, I want to say they cap in at 50, but don't quote me on that.

Comment

All varies. We were half my folks (DS) and half another agency.

PT is a joke at CITP and if you can't handle it then you should have chosen a different profession. That said, you will have more than enough time to exercise at FLETC.

Comment

I appreciate the responss everyone. I'm sure I will be fine in CITP but one can never be under prepared. Also good to know we will be training with another agency.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8328 users online. 367 members and 7961 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X