Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATF, DEA, DSS, or HSI

Hello All,

I am currently midway through the application process (post written) with these four agencies (Listed in alphabetical order).

I have interest in each agency for the following broad reasons in addition to other specifics:

1. ATF - Investigations that target violent crime and a reputation for having good morale and management support.

2. DEA - The complexity and depth of investigations (at least what I have been told)

3. DSS - The extensive training, high level of responsibility early on along with being a SA and a diplomat overseas.

4. HSI - The broad mission and it seems from the outside HSI is rapidly becoming the premiere domestic agency.

Would be great to hear everyone's thoughts in general but also:

1. What is your ranking and why?

2. Is there one agency you would decline an offer from all others for?

3. The negative aspect of any of the agencies?

Thanks.

The first one that offers you a job...
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

True, but be ready for a ride, Nowadays It's pretty much luck to land any Leo gig
      Last edited by HMCN; 10-23-2016, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Money wise DSS is at the top, they get cool TDYs, if you've already been the real police and just want to make some good coin and see the world choose them. This is mostly protection oriented.

DEA/HSI/ATF you'll work great investigations with other agencies such as FBI/USPIS and all the other alphabet boys. They aren't nearly as lucrative as DSS.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee23 View Post
          Hello All,

I am currently midway through the application process (post written) with these four agencies (Listed in alphabetical order).

I have interest in each agency for the following broad reasons in addition to other specifics:

1. ATF - Investigations that target violent crime and a reputation for having good morale and management support.

2. DEA - The complexity and depth of investigations (at least what I have been told)

3. DSS - The extensive training, high level of responsibility early on along with being a SA and a diplomat overseas.

4. HSI - The broad mission and it seems from the outside HSI is rapidly becoming the premiere domestic agency.

Thanks.
          Howdy. I would love to hear your reasoning why ICE is becoming the "premiere domestic agency".

I am not trying to give you a hard time. I am genuinely curious.

Comment

Originally posted by espantoon View Post

Howdy. I would love to hear your reasoning why ICE is becoming the "premiere domestic agency".

I am not trying to give you a hard time. I am genuinely curious.
            No offense taken.

The term "premiere" may be too strong of a word. However, in conversation with recruiters, SA's, and general research it seems HSI is growing, getting a better budget, and working various cases that were only being worked by ATF, DEA, or FBI previously. (If true, this may not necessarily be a good thing as far as playing nice in the sand box).

This is just what I have heard and certainly don't know if it is true. Would love to hear more about HSI relative to other major agencies.

Comment

Originally posted by Esco View Post
              Money wise DSS is at the top, they get cool TDYs, if you've already been the real police and just want to make some good coin and see the world choose them. This is mostly protection oriented.

DEA/HSI/ATF you'll work great investigations with other agencies such as FBI/USPIS and all the other alphabet boys. They aren't nearly as lucrative as DSS.
              Could you please elaborate as to how or why DSS folks make more money. I was under the impression all fed Leo's would make about the same...

Comment

Could you please elaborate as to how or why DSS folks make more money. I was under the impression all fed Leo's would make about the same...
                They get LEAP and overtime. Then they get Per Diem on their protection trips. Everyone else you named only gets LEAP no matter how much they work.

Comment

No offense taken.

The term "premiere" may be too strong of a word. However, in conversation with recruiters, SA's, and general research it seems HSI is growing, getting a better budget, and working various cases that were only being worked by ATF, DEA, or FBI previously. (If true, this may not necessarily be a good thing as far as playing nice in the sand box).

This is just what I have heard and certainly don't know if it is true. Would love to hear more about HSI relative to other major agencies.
                  May I ask if you've worked alongside any of these agencies before? Do you have a background in law enforcement?

Comment

Apply to the FBI. The best hands down.

TDF

Comment

start a USAjobs profile and apply to any 1811 job that pops up. Keep in mind however with DSS there are 2 types of agents. Those who work stateside, primarily the criminal investigation portion and there's the ones who work overseas, the protection portion. If working as an overseas agent, you will be moving around a lot. Fun when you are young, but can be tough on a family

Comment

Hello All,

Thanks.
                        Not to completely hijack your thread, but I'd also like to add the USMS to the list of agencies to choose from. Right now, HSI and the USMS seem to be making the biggest push to hire. Also, if HSI is really becoming the "premier agency" how come they seem to consistently have poor morale issues? I realize everybody has different reasons for choosing any one particular agency, but i'd like to read why or why not to join any one of these particular agencies. Most of us in here only want to attend one or two law enforcement academies, hopefully this thread will produce some good info.

http://bestplacestowork.org/BPTW/ran...aw-enforcement

Comment

I wouldn't say HSI is becoming the premier agency. Yes a great gig to land, but remember they are dealing with the huge conglomerate that is Homeland Security and they are always competing with the FBI. That's a lot of politics to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDamonFactor View Post
                            Apply to the FBI. The best hands down.

TDF
                            According to whom?

Comment

Many reasons but I would say the most telling is the fact that other agencies lose agents to the FBI not the other way around.

TDF

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8696 users online. 434 members and 8262 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X