Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi everyone. I'm obviously new to the forum here, but I've been lurking for some time and so I thought I'd finally reach out and say hello. A little background on me: I'm 36 (turning 37 in Sept 2017), I currently work in finance, no prior military or LE experience. I've wanted to serve my country for as long as I can remember, but a history of persistent asthma prevented me from the privilege of joining the military. I decided to try and focus on my private-sector career but something kept nagging at me all these years. I finally decided to listen and throw my hat into the ring for some of the federal positions I've seen open up. Currently, I'm in process with Border Patrol and USSS (Special Agent).

My timeline:
    31 Aug 2016 - applied to NYC announcement
    3 Dec 2016 - attended Washington, D.C. ELAC (SAEE, Panel Interview, Background Interview)
    22 Dec 2016 - polygraph
    10 Jan 2017 - medical
    11 Jan 2017 - home interview
    17 Jan 2017 - background investigator confirmed that he submitted my paperwork

Since then, I've just been waiting. I expect that I will have some medical follow-ups (in addition to asthma, there's a couple other things for which Border Patrol wanted my full history, so I'm thinking USSS might too), but I expect my next contact will either be for the medical follow-up or "the Call."

Originally posted by ShockTroopDevilDog View Post
    53 days post poly and not a peep. NYC expedited announcement... Anyone get back word from that announcement after taking the poly?
    ShockTroop, not sure if any of that helps, but that's where I stand as of this moment. Best of luck to everyone on here.

Comment

• Originally posted by FuriousPedant View Post
      Hi everyone. I'm obviously new to the forum here, but I've been lurking for some time and so I thought I'd finally reach out and say hello. A little background on me: I'm 36 (turning 37 in Sept 2017), I currently work in finance, no prior military or LE experience. I've wanted to serve my country for as long as I can remember, but a history of persistent asthma prevented me from the privilege of joining the military. I decided to try and focus on my private-sector career but something kept nagging at me all these years. I finally decided to listen and throw my hat into the ring for some of the federal positions I've seen open up. Currently, I'm in process with Border Patrol and USSS (Special Agent).

My timeline:
      31 Aug 2016 - applied to NYC announcement
      3 Dec 2016 - attended Washington, D.C. ELAC (SAEE, Panel Interview, Background Interview)
      22 Dec 2016 - polygraph
      10 Jan 2017 - medical
      11 Jan 2017 - home interview
      17 Jan 2017 - background investigator confirmed that he submitted my paperwork

Since then, I've just been waiting. I expect that I will have some medical follow-ups (in addition to asthma, there's a couple other things for which Border Patrol wanted my full history, so I'm thinking USSS might too), but I expect my next contact will either be for the medical follow-up or "the Call."

ShockTroop, not sure if any of that helps, but that's where I stand as of this moment. Best of luck to everyone on here.
      From what you learned during this process, do you know if they value prior LEO experience or do they like the experience you had in the private sector in finance? Im 22 and supposed to start a local academy with the hope of working for USSS or any other federal law enforcement. The only thing that worries me is I dont know if a general patrol officer will help or hurt my chances. It seems like the government like skills that can translate directly with the work they do.

Comment

• Are there any local/ state police on this post that have been interviewed by the USSS? This was the route I wanted to take. However, im beginning to think relevant work experience in the private sector in accounting/finance might be the better way to go. any opinions? thanks

Comment

• Does anyone know if this "hiring freeze" will affect us that are waiting for a call?? Any federal employee input would be great... The answer maybe common knowledge however I know the budget was passed just recently therefore I am unsure.

Comment

• Hey cfuller 19, I have a buddy that applied to a USSS announcement in April 2016, who is a state investigator/highway patrolman. He's advanced through and is waiting for the call. He's a bit older than you, so he has a few years of experience, but it seems like his experience didn't help/hurt him, it just is his own experience.

In interviewing with them (and with Border Patrol, for what that's worth), I think they value candidates who are smart and articulate and can kind of think on their feet. Certainly some LE experiences will help with that, but so will some private sector experiences, so I think as long as you do something that you're passionate about and can do well in, when they evaluate your experience you should be fine.

That's my take on things, for what it's worth. Good luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by FuriousPedant View Post
              Hey cfuller 19, I have a buddy that applied to a USSS announcement in April 2016, who is a state investigator/highway patrolman. He's advanced through and is waiting for the call. He's a bit older than you, so he has a few years of experience, but it seems like his experience didn't help/hurt him, it just is his own experience.

In interviewing with them (and with Border Patrol, for what that's worth), I think they value candidates who are smart and articulate and can kind of think on their feet. Certainly some LE experiences will help with that, but so will some private sector experiences, so I think as long as you do something that you're passionate about and can do well in, when they evaluate your experience you should be fine.

That's my take on things, for what it's worth. Good luck.
              thank you for the response!

Comment

• Originally posted by Usingcarmex View Post
                Does anyone know if this "hiring freeze" will affect us that are waiting for a call?? Any federal employee input would be great... The answer maybe common knowledge however I know the budget was passed just recently therefore I am unsure.
                Not a federal employee, but it seems that the hiring freeze will exempt military, public safety, and public health, so I would think we'd be in the clear.

Comment

• I applied to the USSS ud position that closed 3 days ago. I am a recent college grad so I am new to the USA Jobs site. It is my understanding that when I make my resume for these types of positions I should only include relevant experiences? I do not have any professional work experience but i included and internship with a local police agency. I have had some retail related jobs during school. Did i do the right thing by keeping those jobs out?

Comment

• Originally posted by cfuller19 View Post
                    I applied to the USSS ud position that closed 3 days ago. I am a recent college grad so I am new to the USA Jobs site. It is my understanding that when I make my resume for these types of positions I should only include relevant experiences? I do not have any professional work experience but i included and internship with a local police agency. I have had some retail related jobs during school. Did i do the right thing by keeping those jobs out?
                    I applied the first time straight out of grad school and tailored my resume for the position just like the private sector. I made it through the initial steps just fine. You'll have the opportunity to outline your prior work history in detail at a later time.

Disregard. Didn't realize you were requesting details for UD.
                    Last edited by Tony D1811; 01-23-2017, 02:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by cfuller19 View Post
                      I applied to the USSS ud position that closed 3 days ago. I am a recent college grad so I am new to the USA Jobs site. It is my understanding that when I make my resume for these types of positions I should only include relevant experiences? I do not have any professional work experience but i included and internship with a local police agency. I have had some retail related jobs during school. Did i do the right thing by keeping those jobs out?
                      does this thread say UD??? no it says SA! go to the UD thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by n1xem View Post

Not a federal employee, but it seems that the hiring freeze will exempt military, public safety, and public health, so I would think we'd be in the clear.
                        Thank you sir! Got the same answer from fed employee not too long ago.

Comment

• "The head of any executive department or agency may exempt from the hiring freeze any positions that it deems necessary to meet national security or public safety responsibilities."

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...-hiring-freeze

Comment

• Originally posted by n1xem View Post
                            "The head of any executive department or agency may exempt from the hiring freeze any positions that it deems necessary to meet national security or public safety responsibilities."

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...-hiring-freeze

Thank GOD

Comment

• I was called today to schedule my "Factor V" panel/interview. I haven't seen this term used on here yet and it's not used in other posts as they describe their timeline. I just submitted my SF86 and I'm assuming it's the BI interview? Any insight on what this is?

Comment

• Originally posted by ls1_oklahoma View Post
                                I was called today to schedule my "Factor V" panel/interview. I haven't seen this term used on here yet and it's not used in other posts as they describe their timeline. I just submitted my SF86 and I'm assuming it's the BI interview? Any insight on what this is?
                                Factor V interview is your security interview.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11712 users online. 400 members and 11312 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X