Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Secret Service SA hiring process

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ***Delete***
    Last edited by Bronc_smith; 01-27-2017, 06:54 PM.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by jdtrooper View Post
      If your question wasn't rhetorical... I presume one could pass each step individually but not everything collectively. Or they think one wouldn't be a good fit or for some other subjective reason. Who knows.
      It wasn't rhetorical. I really thought once you made it ti hiring panel it was just a matter of time until you got the call, and not that there was still a chance you'd get the boot. This is good knowledge to have as it will help manage my expectations

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Bronc_smith View Post
        Like jdtrooper said, assuming your question wasn't rhetorical, making it to the hiring panel, as you can obviously see, doesn't mean you are a shoe-in for hire. (As in you are going to get hire if you complete all of the steps.)

        It needs to be looked at as "you have met all of the qualifications to have your application package reviewed for the boards."

        I don't know everything about how the panel works and what I do know won't be discussed but it is like the same principle for an military officer program or academy in which there is a long process, and background investigations that take place for all of the potential officer candidates. For ease, we will say that 100 officer candidates out of 1500 highly qualified applicants are to be reviewed by the board based off of application scores.

        Those 100 candidates are now briefed at the board (hiring panel) and the 24 top rated are selected to attend the academy. The remaining 76 non-selects will feel/say they are qualified and speak about there experience and why they should have been selected, why they should be a shoe-in for the job.

        And they are right... all 100 that got picked for the hiring panel could essentially do the job. However, out of all 100 these 24 were rated higher, (BQA) therefore picked.

        Then there will be another process and instead of looking at the 76 that were just passed over, I will go fishing again (new vacancy) and pick out the next top 100, and if one of the applicants from my past 76 is higher rated than the applicants from the new pool of applicants, then they will make up part of the top 100 and they may find themselves on the board again.

        That's how that works. Same as if you reapply. I know, I know, someone is going to quote me and say it's stupid but it is what it is. I sat on panels for military officer programs, and while it may not be convenient for me and make me happy if I were in that situation, or my friend didn't get selected, being on the inside, I understand the logic/process and it makes sense and if I were in charge to change it, I wouldnt.

        If your question was rhetorical, forget everything I just said be happy a saved you from reading my bowl grape analogy.
        Thanks bronc for providing the info even though u kicked a bunch of people in the junk and ruined the rest of their weekend.

        Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Clint2069 View Post
          Thanks bronc for providing the info even though u kicked a bunch of people in the junk and ruined the rest of their weekend.

          Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk
          Yeah I give brutal truth. It's not to bring anyone down but like "soutoxs" said, he actually thought it meant you would get hired but now he knows how to manage expectations.

          Nonetheless, you just have to remain optimistic. It's a lot of competition out there and but these classes are being filled regularly. Keep your fingers crossed

          Comment


          • I'm just giving u a hard time Bronc. I'm a realist it has been five months since my packet was heading to the hiring panel. It is what it is either they will call me or they won't. Never put all your eggs in one basket.

            Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

            Comment


            • Currently in CITP. Anybody need some assistance?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by DSS-SA_Applicant View Post
                I think that is what I heard. 10 points for your time at FLETC, then 12 points for JJRTC.
                Last edited by JuRam8; 05-22-2016, 11:53 PM.

                Comment


                • Secret Service SA hiring process

                  Originally posted by Bronc_smith View Post
                  Yeah I give brutal truth. It's not to bring anyone down but like "soutoxs" said, he actually thought it meant you would get hired but now he knows how to manage expectations.

                  Nonetheless, you just have to remain optimistic. It's a lot of competition out there and but these classes are being filled regularly. Keep your fingers crossed
                  The one question I have after your explanation is:

                  Why are people - who we both agree are highly qualified - still being passed over after completing all steps of the process when USSS is so understaffed?

                  Thanks!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by aspiring_fed View Post
                    The one question I have after your explanation is:

                    Why are people - who we both agree are highly qualified - still being passed over after completing all steps of the process when USSS is so understaffed?

                    Thanks!
                    Because...reasons.

                    That about sums it up with the federal government in all seriousness.
                    OUT!!

                    Comment


                    • To sum up what Bronc said... they want the best of the best. If you make it to the hiring panel you are part of the best which doesn't necessarily mean you are the best of the group. Words of encouragement though... Just because you are not selected for USSS doesn't mean you won't be a great CI at another agency. The USSS may just think you are not the best candidate for protection. Keep trying different agencies until one finds you best for the job.


                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                      Comment


                      • SA in training.jpg

                        Special Agents in training
                        Last edited by UtahAlumnus; 05-23-2016, 12:39 PM.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by UtahAlumnus View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]15155[/ATTACH]

                          Special Agents in training
                          Looks like what I do everyday. Good to see.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by aspiring_fed View Post
                            The one question I have after your explanation is:

                            Why are people - who we both agree are highly qualified - still being passed over after completing all steps of the process when USSS is so understaffed?

                            Thanks!
                            To play DA...who's to say that those applicants are highly qualified? ( I didn't say that...I was giving an example)

                            My personal opinion. Is that you could take someone who isn't highly qualified and teach them how to be an investigator.

                            Anyway, the short explanation is, if everyone is in fact highly qualified, someone has to get denied. It's like the NFL, everyone can't make the team. Maybe not this year, or maybe another team will grab you. +1 to recruit_1 comments as well. Additionally, you can have all the experience in the world, if it isn't articulated well in your resume, it will reflect in your scores. All of your interviews with panel members, factor v, structured interview...etc, are scored. Once again, this will determine where you fall in the crowd vs what experience you claim to have (that may not have been articulated)

                            *short story* I was looking at a friend's resume, whom I know has a lot of investigative experience. After looking for about 5 mins, I told him he may not even get invited to the saee, much less be favorable at the Panel.
                            His particular issue was that he bulletized (sp)
                            His duties but after reading the 7 pgs of his resume, you still wouldn't know what HE actually brought to the table, you just knew what was expected of him.

                            I can tell you for a fact, we see a lot of sh*itty resumes and they are ridiculed often. These are little things that will affect you come game time. People often ask what else they can study outside of the SAEE studyguide to help them prepare for the SAEE. The answer is...all you need to study is what was given to you. If you want to study something outside of the SAEE guide, you should study how to write a FEDERAL resume.

                            As far as understaffed issues...I keep repeating this over and over. It 's not like the service is sitting around hoping to fill classes like "oh I wish we could get some qualified applicants so we can have an academy, we need help"

                            Classes are being filled regularly, THEY ARE NOT having a hard time filling these seats. Just a week ago a class was filled, so the understaffed thing that is often referred to is old.

                            Not saying the service isn't understaffed but classes are consistently filled.

                            GL!
                            Last edited by Bronc_smith; 05-23-2016, 06:01 PM.

                            Comment


                            • I've been an applicant for 2 years now. Currently, I am 1 month post polygraph after waiting 18 months (from the security interview). Is it possible for me to send an updated resume to be included to my packet so I look more favorable when it comes to hiring panel decisions?

                              Originally posted by Bronc_smith View Post
                              To play DA...who's to say that those applicants are highly qualified? ( I didn't say that...I was giving an example)

                              My personal opinion. Is that you could take someone who isn't highly qualified and teach them how to be an investigator.

                              Anyway, the short explanation is, if everyone is in fact highly qualified, someone has to get denied. It's like the NFL, everyone can't make the team. Maybe not this year, or maybe another team will grab you. +1 to recruit_1 comments as well. Additionally, you can have all the experience in the world, if it isn't articulated well in your resume, it will reflect in your scores. All of your interviews with panel members, factor v, structured interview...etc, are scored. Once again, this will determine where you fall in the crowd vs what experience you claim to have (that may not have been articulated)

                              *short story* I was looking at a friend's resume, whom I know has a lot of investigative experience. After looking for about 5 mins, I told him he may not even get invited to the saee, much less be favorable at the Panel.
                              His particular issue was that he bulletized (sp)
                              His duties but after reading the 7 pgs of his resume, you still wouldn't know what HE actually brought to the table, you just knew what was expected of him.

                              I can tell you for a fact, we see a lot of sh*itty resumes and they are ridiculed often. These are little things that will affect you come game time. People often ask what else they can study outside of the SAEE studyguide to help them prepare for the SAEE. The answer is...all you need to study is what was given to you. If you want to study something outside of the SAEE guide, you should study how to write a FEDERAL resume.

                              As far as understaffed issues...I keep repeating this over and over. It 's not like the service is sitting around hoping to fill classes like "oh I wish we could get some qualified applicants so we can have an academy, we need help"

                              Classes are being filled regularly, THEY ARE NOT having a hard time filling these seats. Just a week ago a class was filled, so the understaffed thing that is often referred to is old.

                              Not saying the service isn't understaffed but classes are consistently filled.

                              GL!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by GettingFED View Post
                                I've been an applicant for 2 years now. Currently, I am 1 month post polygraph after waiting 18 months (from the security interview). Is it possible for me to send an updated resume to be included to my packet so I look more favorable when it comes to hiring panel decisions?
                                Yes, this can be done but it will need to be coordinated w your FO. If possible contact the recruiter that you have been working with and tell them that you would like to submit a new resume to your package as you have had significant changes. This should work.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 7247 users online. 215 members and 7032 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X