Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Secret Service SA hiring process

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by fedxfit View Post
    In my experience getting everything turned in and getting me in to go over and sign them were two different things, so getting it in in two weeks vs. them getting you in after two weeks shouldn't be an issue. But sounds like it's FO specific, so check with them if you're concerned.
    I'm not sure I understand this as I was under the impression I should bring the packet with me when I came in to sign it.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by AGENT-X View Post
      I'm not sure I understand this as I was under the impression I should bring the packet with me when I came in to sign it.
      Again, each FO may be different in this respect. I was told to mail mine in. Do whatever your FO told you.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by AGENT-X View Post
        I'm not sure I understand this as I was under the impression I should bring the packet with me when I came in to sign it.
        That's how it went for me. I received the COE and called my FO. An agent called me back and asked me to complete the packet and bring it with me a few days later to complete the SI. They went over the packet with me during the SI and then had me sign it when we were completed. I'm sure some people had it done like this or maybe a different way depending on the FO. Just do as your FO requests.


        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

        Comment


        • Originally posted by fedxfit View Post
          Again, each FO may be different in this respect. I was told to mail mine in. Do whatever your FO told you.
          Ok, thanks. I talked to them and they are good with me brining it in when they call me to come in.

          Comment


          • Another Friday with no calls...

            Comment


            • Originally posted by bbowser1515 View Post
              Another Friday with no calls...
              Yep. At least not for people on this forum.
              OUT!!

              Comment


              • Didn't expect it on a Saturday but just received my COE!

                Comment


                • For those still early in the process, I just spoke with a number of different USSS agents during a special assignment that took up most of my morning. Multiple agents told me that there's still going to be a big push even with the election going on. My local agent told me he's trying to get ready to knock out interviews.

                  In other USSS news, one of the guys said I'd be coming in at a good time. He said a couple years ago it was really very rough, but he said things are getting better, and they are working hard to make them so. Pretty much all the agents I was working with were former cops (all I think). Two were former troopers (encouraging for me). They said that they've had some bad policies that are being re-examined now that new blood is coming in. For example, I asked one guy how he liked the Sig 229 in .357 (he was envious of my Glock 21). He said that there are only rumors that maybe the sidearms will be looked at again. He said they are never allowed to have picatinny rails (or any light rails) on their pistols. I guess because the Sig P229 DAK comes with a rail on it, USSS requires them to modify it and remove it because their agents aren't allowed to have it. Anyway, one of the guys said the guy in charge of that decision just retired, and that was his example of a stupid policy that hopefully will get changed. The guys attributed their lack of agency OIS with their lack of policy review.

                  Also: one of the guys driving today was a Special Officer (not 1811). He said he gets the best gig, that he gets to do all the fun stuff the agents do with less paperwork: kick in doors, work undercover, drive vehicles for protectees, etc. However, he said it is really hit and miss, based on your ASAC. Other Special Officers get put in charge of firearms qualification, maintaining vehicles, inspecting vehicles, and more logistical boredom.

                  All emphasized they liked the job and that it was a good gig. Some said that if you are a cop, you'll miss a lot of the cop stuff you enjoy (like arresting bad guys).

                  I told one I was moving to another agency (more career options there plus closer to family). I told him that was my longterm plan in case FEEBS don't pick me up because, I said, "You guys are so competitive." He kind of shrugged off my comment and told me he didn't see it as a long shot. He said most of what eliminates people is stupid stuff in their background (drug use, "stuff" with animals), and he specifically told me he didn't think I would be a long shot by any means. Whether that was his bias in my favor due to his being a former state trooper, who can say? Anyway, that was his spiel.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Lassiter 45 View Post
                    For those still early in the process, I just spoke with a number of different USSS agents during a special assignment that took up most of my morning. Multiple agents told me that there's still going to be a big push even with the election going on. My local agent told me he's trying to get ready to knock out interviews.

                    In other USSS news, one of the guys said I'd be coming in at a good time. He said a couple years ago it was really very rough, but he said things are getting better, and they are working hard to make them so. Pretty much all the agents I was working with were former cops (all I think). Two were former troopers (encouraging for me). They said that they've had some bad policies that are being re-examined now that new blood is coming in. For example, I asked one guy how he liked the Sig 229 in .357 (he was envious of my Glock 21). He said that there are only rumors that maybe the sidearms will be looked at again. He said they are never allowed to have picatinny rails (or any light rails) on their pistols. I guess because the Sig P229 DAK comes with a rail on it, USSS requires them to modify it and remove it because their agents aren't allowed to have it. Anyway, one of the guys said the guy in charge of that decision just retired, and that was his example of a stupid policy that hopefully will get changed. The guys attributed their lack of agency OIS with their lack of policy review.

                    Also: one of the guys driving today was a Special Officer (not 1811). He said he gets the best gig, that he gets to do all the fun stuff the agents do with less paperwork: kick in doors, work undercover, drive vehicles for protectees, etc. However, he said it is really hit and miss, based on your ASAC. Other Special Officers get put in charge of firearms qualification, maintaining vehicles, inspecting vehicles, and more logistical boredom.

                    All emphasized they liked the job and that it was a good gig. Some said that if you are a cop, you'll miss a lot of the cop stuff you enjoy (like arresting bad guys).

                    I told one I was moving to another agency (more career options there plus closer to family). I told him that was my longterm plan in case FEEBS don't pick me up because, I said, "You guys are so competitive." He kind of shrugged off my comment and told me he didn't see it as a long shot. He said most of what eliminates people is stupid stuff in their background (drug use, "stuff" with animals), and he specifically told me he didn't think I would be a long shot by any means. Whether that was his bias in my favor due to his being a former state trooper, who can say? Anyway, that was his spiel.
                    Sounds like great news. Local LEO here, will be applying to the next open announcement and going for my second try at the SAEE after April 21st. Id love to work for USSS, the protection and investigative side.
                    Last edited by ifaynshteyn; 03-06-2016, 02:45 AM.

                    Comment


                    • Hello everyone, I've applied to the most recent announcement and im still waiting to see if I get invited to test. Currently, a Cbp officer, and processing for the FAMS. I know there is no magic formula to get the usss SA job, but in your guys opinion, which do you think will help me increase my chances of getting selected during the qualifications review??? I'm not that naive to just accept a job with hopes to get another one because you will be miserable. I'm just curious to what you guys have to say. Thank you!!!

                      Comment


                      • Oh, and I wanted to mention something ladies and gentlemen. I still have reserves on whether USSS would be compatible with my family life, and the fact they don't do a lot of (and are moving away from) investigations is a huge downer. But I will say this:

                        Working with the USSS was one of the most fun and fulfilling assignments I've had in my 3 years of LE so far. Frankly, I had more fun than a human oughta have. Granted it was pretty simple: show up at the hotel, get presidential candidate from A to B and after speeches, get him from B to C so he can fly to the next location. Driving a follow vehicle, riding with an agent, running hot past protesters, it all was a blast. And the fact that it was only a candidate and thus, a small operation, made it up close and personal and that much more cool.

                        I still wonder if I would want to do protection for an entire career (obviously this was very routine for these guys despite their high alertness), and I wonder if it would get old. But I do know that it was a ton of fun, and I've got an itch to do more.
                        Last edited by Lassiter 45; 03-07-2016, 11:40 PM.

                        Comment


                        • Calls seem to have come to a halt. Still waiting and remaining hopeful, but as I patiently wait, I am 75% complete with the DEA process in only 3 months.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by JuRam8 View Post
                            Calls seem to have come to a halt. Still waiting and remaining hopeful, but as I patiently wait, I am 75% complete with the DEA process in only 3 months.
                            I know. It is discouraging to say the least. I'm still keeping hope alive.
                            OUT!!

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by JuRam8 View Post
                              Calls seem to have come to a halt. Still waiting and remaining hopeful, but as I patiently wait, I am 75% complete with the DEA process in only 3 months.
                              I got A call, but it was to schedule my Security Interview next week. So there's definitely still movement, but maybe not at the hiring level (or at least no one here is getting THOSE calls yet)

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by JuRam8 View Post
                                Calls seem to have come to a halt. Still waiting and remaining hopeful, but as I patiently wait, I am 75% complete with the DEA process in only 3 months.
                                Which is your first choice? USSS?


                                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 12431 users online. 456 members and 11975 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X