300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hiltonheadgolf View Post
    Congrats ! Some FO's take longer than others. A friend of mine took his at an FO in the south and had to wait almost a month for his results...it took about 10 days for ours. Its good to get that burden off your shoulders.
    Yes, I took it on April 1st and still have received results in the mail. She said I am just waiting to be scheduled for panel.

Comment

• Originally posted by hiltonheadgolf View Post
      What I'm saying is that if you get a 72 and I get an 84, and we have the same style background, they would be more inclined to take the person with the higher score. Its a hiring panel in DC that hires you, not the FO. All they see is the paperwork.
      Well, that seems kind of odd since nobody's ever told me what my score was, just that it was passing. The ASAC who did my initial said, "You only need to get a 70." That's usually what you say when it's a pass/fail, like the bar exam; it's scored, but it doesn't matter if you passed by half a point or 20 points. Surely if the score counted for anything, they'd tell you well you only have to get a 70 to pass, but the higher the better.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1811Chick View Post
        Well, that seems kind of odd since nobody's ever told me what my score was, just that it was passing. The ASAC who did my initial said, "You only need to get a 70." That's usually what you say when it's a pass/fail, like the bar exam; it's scored, but it doesn't matter if you passed by half a point or 20 points. Surely if the score counted for anything, they'd tell you well you only have to get a 70 to pass, but the higher the better.
        As was told to me. Pass/fail, actual score doesn't matter. TEA is part of the weeding process, just like the panel, poly, med, and drug test - pass/fail. Experience/GPA/degree are the weighted factors. Not an SA but personally know a few who currently serve and that is the info they gave me. One SA that is a close friend since childhood passed the TEA by 1 point after the 2nd try. Pass/Fail people, don't get stressed about the score, there is enough to be stressed about in this process with out worrying about a score that doesn't matter. I was never even told my score, just that I passed.
        Last edited by CJSSA2B; 05-07-2009, 07:05 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CJSSA2B View Post
          As was told to me. Pass/fail, actual score doesn't matter. TEA is part of the weeding process, just like the panel, poly, med, and drug test - pass/fail. Experience/GPA/degree are the weighted factors. Not an SA but personally know a few who currently serve and that is the info they gave me. One SA that is a close friend since childhood passed the TEA by 1 point after the 2nd try. Pass/Fail people, don't get stressed about the score, there is enough to be stressed about in this process with out worrying about a score that doesn't matter. I was never even told my score, just that I passed.
          I concur and was told the same thing by a few agents I know. A 70 is as good as a 100. Remember this test is "non-competitive". The lady that administered the test to us yesterday said that the USSS is only worried about pass/fail, but to get a pass you have to get a 70. The way the "new" process is, you don't even get your initial interview until you make that 70, but when you pass the TEA she said you are guaranteed an initial. The way she explained it is that once you start the interview process your score doesn't mean a hill of beans, it is just to get your "foot in the door." Having said all of that.......Congrats Flyer on passing the test. I hope to be posting the same thing in about a week. I was told at the test yesterday that I won't receive a letter for around a month, but that I could call her next week and she would probably have my score.

Comment

• So when and how are you notified about the panel results? I am under this new streamlined process and everything has cruised by thus far, now I'm going crazy with this radio silence.

Comment

• USSS Application Packet Question

In search of an opinion/thoughts on a question in the app. packet.

I'm currently in the process of completing the application prior to submision.

The question below is what I need your thoughts on;

19. HAVE YOU EVER ILLEGALLY USED SUCH ITEMS AS HASHISH, COCAINE, LSD, AMPHETAMINES, HEROIN, OR DRUGS OF A SIMILAR NATURE (DO NOT
              INCLUDE MARIJUANA)? [CIRCLE OR MARK WHICH DRUG(S)] YES OR NO

I'm currently a police detective, been on the job for over 8 years in Washington DC, presently, I'm a detective in the Violent Street Crimes Unit and have prior experience as a Federal officer...Years ago, while playing football in college in 1998, I made a foolish descision and tried steroids for a month, I was a Sophomore. I did not experience any gains, nor did I experience anytype of indifference in my mood. It was a stupid decision, and I have never tried it again, or any other drugs. During my police process with various agencies, I've disclosed my usage, and fortunately I have never been DQ'd. In regards to the above question, THE SIMILAR IN NATURE, does anyone know if that is referring to the equivalency of Schedule I/II mentioned drugs, such as the HASHISH, COCAINE, LSD, AMPHETAMINES, HEROIN,...or all drugs, please know that if given the opportunity to proceed in the process, I will be mentioning it of course, but as for the question...The SIMILAR IN NATURE is the vague point since steroids is a Schedule III....just not sure what they are asking...if you were in my shoes, would you leave the answer as NO, then explain later, or put down Yes, and explain later....thanks and good luck to all of you...

Comment

• Originally posted by 703 View Post

19. HAVE YOU EVER ILLEGALLY USED SUCH ITEMS AS HASHISH, COCAINE, LSD, AMPHETAMINES, HEROIN, OR DRUGS OF A SIMILAR NATURE (DO NOT

I'm currently a police detective, been on the job for over 8 years in Washington DC, presently, I'm a detective in the Violent Street Crimes Unit and have prior experience as a Federal officer...Years ago, while playing football in college in 1998, I made a foolish descision and tried steroids for a month, I was a Sophomore. I did not experience any gains, nor did I experience anytype of indifference in my mood. It was a stupid decision, and I have never tried it again, or any other drugs. During my police process with various agencies, I've disclosed my usage, and fortunately I have never been DQ'd. In regards to the above question, THE SIMILAR IN NATURE, does anyone know if that is referring to the equivalency of Schedule I/II mentioned drugs, such as the HASHISH, COCAINE, LSD, AMPHETAMINES, HEROIN,...or all drugs, please know that if given the opportunity to proceed in the process, I will be mentioning it of course, but as for the question...The SIMILAR IN NATURE is the vague point since steroids is a Schedule III....just not sure what they are asking...if you were in my shoes, would you leave the answer as NO, then explain later, or put down Yes, and explain later....thanks and good luck to all of you...
                Don't read into the question. Answer yes and explain your answer in the space provided. I have experience with personal security questionnaires and non-compliance with full disclosure will end your chances for the position.

Comment

• Originally posted by CJSSA2B View Post
                  Don't read into the question. Answer yes and explain your answer in the space provided. I have experience with personal security questionnaires and non-compliance with full disclosure will end your chances for the position.
                  I agree with you, the more I think about, I'm going to definately mention it...do you know off hand, and based on what I mentioned, if my usage is an automatic DQ...thanks..stay safe

Comment

I agree with you, the more I think about, I'm going to definately mention it...do you know off hand, and based on what I mentioned, if my usage is an automatic DQ...thanks..stay safe
                    I don't have a definitive answer for you as to whether or not you should put it on your application under that question, however I am pretty certain that there was a question that specifically asked about steroids (among many others) in the medical questionnaire form that I just filled out, which comes after you've passed the TEA but before the Panel. There was a lot of stuff that ended up getting disclosed in those forms that obviously weren't on the application. That said, my gut instinct is that this use falls under the 'or similar' category, in that it's something you probably purchased and used illegally. Similar to if you'd bought and used somebody else's prescribed adderall. And since you've disclosed it before, it's going to be pretty easy to find out about. I'd disclose now, be on the safe side. I wouldn't think it would be an auto DQ, but you never know.

Comment

• I would definitely disclose it. 1811Chick is right, they are going to look into your past hiring processes as well, so cross-referencing it won't be hard to find out. As with any of these types of questions, they are not trying to see if you're a drug addict...they just want to know your honesty. You always have the opportunity to explain yourself. Its better to answer to the reaper than not have the chance because of getting DQ.

Comment

Time and limited use has more than likely mitigated this issue. If you were applying for a position with DoD that required a TS clearance, this would be a mitigated issue and you would have received a clearance. That said USSS is not DoD but personal security clearance process is very similar and mitigating guidelines are probably similar. I would not sweat this. Disclose, explain, and prepare for the waiting game.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1811orBust View Post
                          So when and how are you notified about the panel results? I am under this new streamlined process and everything has cruised by thus far, now I'm going crazy with this radio silence.
                          Did they talk to you about scheduling your medical or poly while you were there ? If so than you can be almost assured you passed. At the end of my panel they told me I would be processed along and the ASAIC took me down to their medical facility to schedule for my physical. If not, call the agent you met with and ask him what he thinks your status is. They were in the same position once before as well so they are pretty open about talking to you.

Comment

• They didn't say anything about scheduling but told me that they write their reports and send them off to headquarters and my next step would be the polygraph should there be a next step.

At the end, after asking questions I probably should have asked when I could expect to hear back, but I figured I'd probably get a generic answer anyway since they have to wait for HQ.
                            Last edited by 1811orBust; 05-07-2009, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• I've been reading this forum for a while, and it has been helpful, so I decided to start contributing. Here is my introduction. First off, my timeline:

Applied:8/08
                              Initial Interview: 9/08
                              TEA: 10/08
                              Panel: 12/08
                              Polygraph: 2/09
                              Medical: 4/09
                              Background: 4/09. The field work for my BI is complete and has been sent to DC.
                              Drug Test: 4/09

Now I am back in the wait mode. It is comforting to know that I have completed the application process and my fate is out of my hands.

And a quick bio:

4 yrs in the US Army (Ranger). BS in Criminal Justice. 10 years as a city LEO, the last 5 as a detective. I have completed the USSS ECSAP program (they allow a limited number of local LEO's to attend), and have been doing computer forensics for a few years now. My detective experience is in white collar crime, and I am a Certified Fraud Examiner, so the USSS is the perfect match for my education and experience.

That is definitely enough info for the mothership to track me down, so I'll be keeping it clean around here

I am hopeful that I will be hired soon, and look forward to meeting some of you in Glynco. Good luck to everyone in the process.
                              Last edited by Wilson; 05-07-2009, 05:59 PM.

Comment

You definately need to disclose it. They are looking for absolute full disclosure on all questions. If they find out, and you didn't mention it (especially something like drug use) then I'm pretty sure it's not good. If you do disclose it and say it was 11 years ago, I only tried it for a very limited amount of time, and never ever did any illegal drugs after that time, then I think you'd be okay.
                                Just my humble opinion.

Good luck!
                                "The only easy day was yesterday"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10367 users online. 516 members and 9851 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X