300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 3.14 Beans View Post
    Hate to be the bearer of the harsh reality that is the world we live in, but there are people with college degrees that can't get jobs at Starbucks because the job market sucks so badly. Sure, having a college degree doesn't necessarily make you smarter or a better worker than anyone else. However, like it or not, having a college degree has become a right of passage in this country. You chose not to get a degree earlier, and that is all fine and well. But, expect to be looked down upon because of it, whether or not that is appropriate.

Your rant sounds a lot like those I've heard from many NCO's. 35 year old SSgt. Numnuts does nothing but bitch about how the 23 year-old 1LT keeps bossing him around, and how SSgt. really knows exponentially more about infantry operations than some 23 year old fresh out of Ball State. But, the 1LT knew he wanted to be an officer, so he did what he had to do. That's just the way it is.

Also, not to rip on you more, but unless there is some sort of new ballistics area I'm not aware of, you misspelled manual, which seems pretty sad given that you are allegedly certified in that area. Most college grads wouldn't make that same mistake, and grammatical proficiency can, and does, play a part in the prosecution of cases. I've had a star witness ripped to shreds because his grammar sucked and defense counsel made some very cogent arguments about his reports being unclear.
    You make an invalid and quite elitist argument. I work with agents that have JDs and Masters degrees but write at a 6th grade level. I also work with agents that have no college at all but are able to write a 50+ page technical, complex affidavit in support of a complaint like its just another Tuesday.

College is no marker of intelligence or ability in law enforcement. It is simply a very expensive piece of paper.

Comment

• Originally posted by jb2257
      I disagree. I honestly feel like I gained nothing from college. College didn't teach me how to write, I already had that ability when I got there. It didn't provide me with a single skill I didn't have before I got there. In hindsight, I wish I would have spent that time in the military.
      I learned a good bit in college (despite the fact that I just used the phrase "good bit"). But I won't argue against the benefits of time in the military. That's for sure. It's certainly better financially. Don't hear too many folks whining about paying off their "military loans"...

Sent from my Ultra Magic SuperPhone using Tapatalk.
      Last edited by bayranger; 02-25-2016, 08:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
        You make an invalid and quite elitist argument. I work with agents that have JDs and Masters degrees but write at a 6th grade level. I also work with agents that have no college at all but are able to write a 50+ page technical, complex affidavit in support of a complaint like its just another Tuesday.

College is no marker of intelligence or ability in law enforcement. It is simply a very expensive piece of paper.
        This argument is over, but I disagree that college is simply a very expensive piece of paper. I imagine pretty much anyone that goes to Cal Tech would argue that their degrees are more than simply expensive pieces of paper, or that their degrees are no marker of intelligence. Also, I feel bad for you that your agency hires people that write at a 6th grade level.

Comment

• If the argument is over then why did you feel the need to insert some condescending remarks about my agency (which I'm pretty sure you would love to work at)?

I feel bad that you are so overwhelmed with the need to feel superior that you are unable to debate an issue without sticking in a quasi-personal jab or two. Kind of like correcting spelling and grammar on the internet...

Anyways, these are solely my personal observations. If your personal experience is that a person with a degree is more intelligent than a person without then so be it.

Comment

• Maybe you ladies and or gents can start a new thread on this topic. There you can pull each other's hair and stick your tongues out over the subject...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Comment

• Wow the sense of entitlement is through the roof. People say the young generation think they are entitled to everything. Working as a fedleo, the sense of entitlement is much much greater with the older group. Unreal.
              Last edited by Gummertime; 02-25-2016, 12:28 AM.

Comment

• Not to throw a hand grenade on a mine field, but "right of passage" is actually spelled "rite of passage.". But I'm no lawyer...

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Ummm... Let's see... Ummm... Hey does anybody know what to study for the "SAFE"? Discuss...
                  (awkward segue attempt)

Comment

• Originally posted by bayranger View Post
                    Ummm... Let's see... Ummm... Hey does anybody know what to study for the "SAFE"? Discuss...
                    (awkward segue attempt)

I have a degree in Aviation Safety "and" work experience in a safety office so I'm golden[emoji41] [emoji6] . I'm better than everybody lol.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

Comment

Ummm... Let's see... Ummm... Hey does anybody know what to study for the "SAFE"? Discuss...
                      (awkward segue attempt)

LOL what kind of SAFE? Time lock? Mechanical Lock?
                      OUT!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Radio Raheem View Post
                        LOL what kind of SAFE? Time lock? Mechanical Lock?
                        Biometric with manuel key redundant backup. Duh.

Last edited by bayranger; 02-25-2016, 09:18 PM.

Comment

• I just accepted another job so I'll be moving. It's under the same big FO but I guess I'll call the local office with my new address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Lassiter 45 View Post
                            I just accepted another job so I'll be moving. It's under the same big FO but I guess I'll call the local office with my new address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Congrats on the new job!

Comment

Biometric with manuel key redundant backup. Duh.

011.jpg
                              OUT!!

Comment

• What's the better safe-cracking movie -- Ocean's Eleven or The Italian Job?

Proceed to fight and debate until we have actual information about this job or news about our applications to share.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12515 users online. 439 members and 12076 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X