300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ravenclaw View Post
    In slightly more positive news, my home interview is scheduled for the end of this week. To recap the nearly 550 pages of this thread: suit, bowl of mnms, and a spotless abode? Anything else I need to know?
    Apparently the USSS is too good for good ole fashioned saltine crackers and cheese wiz so you might want to take that off the menu. Instead, show them that you have some class with club crackers and potted meat. Oh and make sure to have the fancy quilted toilet paper not the ones you've collected from previous hotel stays. That, believe it or not, makes a huge difference. lol
    OUT!!

Comment

• Originally posted by tango_alpha View Post
      i went chex mix like a real wild card. However, no one ate any and i shamelessly poured it back into a ziplock bag for later consumption.

I also had a suit on but didn't have the jacket on because they showed up a bit early and i hadn't put it on yet.
      hahahaha!!
      OUT!!

Comment

• Did anyone else notice that, according to the USSS website, a college degree is no longer required for the Special Agent position? I wonder if this is a typo. If it is, I can see a Special Agent straight out of the academy talking to a salty old Senior Special Agent. I think the conversation would go something like this.

"Hey Otis," because all grizzled old law enforcement guys are named Otis or Rufus or something like that, "from where did you graduate?"

"I didn't go to no bubble gum school, Trainee", yelled Otis as he crudely spit out the remainder of his Copenhagen.

Holly Strawberries Otis," said the trainee with a tone of disbelief, "You must've had a ton of experience. Were you like a Navy Seal or something equally awesome?"

By this time, the trainee's bright eyed bushy tailed demeanor began to annoy Otis, so in an attempt to bring this conversation to an end Otis responded.

"If by Navy Seal you mean loss prevention at Barnes and Noble, then yes...yes I was," said Otis as he shoved another pouch of tobacco in his mouth. "No sonny," he continued, "I'm what you call an opportunist. I was one of those 300 guys that got hired because the service forgot to add the 'college education' qualification to the announcement."

"Wow mister," said the trainee in amazement.

"I know," said Otis who was now smiling slightly, "The guys who screwed up the qualification portion were probably egghead college boys like you and I outsmarted 'em. That is what ya call irony, son."

"I-RON-Y," said the trainee who had been diligently writing the word down in small black notebook he pulled from his pocket.

Otis rolled his eyes at the sight of this, shook his head and continued to watch his assigned dumpster.
        Last edited by Radio Raheem; 02-24-2016, 10:46 AM.
        OUT!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Radio Raheem View Post
          Did anyone else notice that, according to the USSS website, a college degree is no longer required for the Special Agent position? I wonder if this is a typo. If it is, I can see a Special Agent straight out of the academy talking to a salty old Senior Special Agent. I think the conversation would go something like this.

"Hey Otis," because all grizzled old law enforcement guys are named Otis or Rufus or something like that, "from where did you graduate?"

"I didn't go to no bubble gum school, Trainee", yelled Otis as he crudely spit out the remainder of his Copenhagen.

Holly Strawberries Otis," said the trainee with a tone of disbelief, "You must've had a ton of experience. Were you like a Navy Seal or something equally awesome?"

By this time, the trainee's bright eyed bushy tailed demeanor began to annoy Otis, so in an attempt to bring this conversation to an end Otis responded.

"If by Navy Seal you mean loss prevention at Barnes and Noble, then yes...yes I was," said Otis as he shoved another pouch of tobacco in his mouth. "No sonny," he continued, "I'm what you call an opportunist. I was one of those 300 guys that got hired because the service forgot to add the 'college education' qualification to the announcement."

"Wow mister," said the trainee in amazement.

"I know," said Otis who was now smiling slightly, "The guys who screwed up the qualification portion were probably egghead college boys like you and I outsmarted 'em. That is what ya call irony, son."

"I-RON-Y," said the trainee who had been diligently writing the word down in small black notebook he pulled from his pocket.

Otis rolled his eyes at the sight of this, shook his head and continued to watch his assigned dumpster.
          Not saying I'm butt hurt about this comment but I'm one of those guys without a degree that has finished the process and am waiting for the hiring panel. If I don't get picked because I don't have one it is what it is, but please explain to me just because you have a four year degree from some college you are a better investigator than me. I have been an officer for 11 years and in that time I have done uniform patrol street crimes narcotics burglary squad and I'm now assigned to homicide. I have testified in both state and federal court and have worked cases with every alphabet agency there is. I was also on the swat team for 4 years where I'm trained and certified in Manuel ballistic and explosive breaching. I have conducted hundreds of hours of interviews with suspects and witnesses. I am also trained and qualified in the use of a glock handgun, carbine, mp5, and shotgun. But please tell me college boy what qualifications you bring to the table. I will also have my degree this summer. Sorry to rant just don't like be looked down on by people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Comment

• And that's not a shot against officers or agents that have their degree because you bring more to the table than I. I'm talking about the young kids straight out of college

Comment

• Originally posted by Clint2069 View Post
              Not saying I'm butt hurt about this comment but I'm one of those guys without a degree that has finished the process and am waiting for the hiring panel. If I don't get picked because I don't have one it is what it is, but please explain to me just because you have a four year degree from some college you are a better investigator than me. I have been an officer for 11 years and in that time I have done uniform patrol street crimes narcotics burglary squad and I'm now assigned to homicide. I have testified in both state and federal court and have worked cases with every alphabet agency there is. I was also on the swat team for 4 years where I'm trained and certified in Manuel ballistic and explosive breaching. I have conducted hundreds of hours of interviews with suspects and witnesses. I am also trained and qualified in the use of a glock handgun, carbine, mp5, and shotgun. But please tell me college boy what qualifications you bring to the table. I will also have my degree this summer. Sorry to rant just don't like be looked down on by people.

Hate to be the bearer of the harsh reality that is the world we live in, but there are people with college degrees that can't get jobs at Starbucks because the job market sucks so badly. Sure, having a college degree doesn't necessarily make you smarter or a better worker than anyone else. However, like it or not, having a college degree has become a right of passage in this country. You chose not to get a degree earlier, and that is all fine and well. But, expect to be looked down upon because of it, whether or not that is appropriate.

Your rant sounds a lot like those I've heard from many NCO's. 35 year old SSgt. Numnuts does nothing but bitch about how the 23 year-old 1LT keeps bossing him around, and how SSgt. really knows exponentially more about infantry operations than some 23 year old fresh out of Ball State. But, the 1LT knew he wanted to be an officer, so he did what he had to do. That's just the way it is.

Also, not to rip on you more, but unless there is some sort of new ballistics area I'm not aware of, you misspelled manual, which seems pretty sad given that you are allegedly certified in that area. Most college grads wouldn't make that same mistake, and grammatical proficiency can, and does, play a part in the prosecution of cases. I've had a star witness ripped to shreds because his grammar sucked and defense counsel made some very cogent arguments about his reports being unclear.
              Last edited by 3.14 Beans; 02-24-2016, 11:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3.14 Beans View Post
                Hate to be the bearer of the harsh reality that is the world we live in, but there are people with college degrees that can't get jobs at Starbucks because the job market sucks so badly. Sure, having a college degree doesn't necessarily make you smarter or a better worker than anyone else. However, like it or not, having a college degree has become a right of passage in this country. You chose not to get a degree, and that is all fine and well. But, expect to be looked down upon because of it, whether or not that is appropriate.

Your rant sounds a lot like those I've heard from many NCO's. 35 year old SSgt. Numnuts does nothing but bitch about how the 23 year-old 1LT keeps bossing him around, and how SSgt. really knows exponentially more about infantry operations than some 23 year old fresh out of Ball State. But, the 1LT knew he wanted to be an officer, so he did what he had to do. That's just the way it is.

Also, not to rip on you more, but unless there is some sort of new ballistics area I'm not aware of, you misspelled manual, which seems pretty sad given that you are allegedly certified in that area. Most college grads wouldn't make that same mistake, and grammatical proficiency can, and does, play a part in the prosecution of cases. I've had a star witness ripped to shreds because his grammar sucked and defense counsel made some very cogent arguments about his reports being unclear.
                Didn't know there was a spelling requirement to post on here. I'm not here to get into a ****ing match with people, I'm just stating a piece of paper you can get online doesn't truly make you more qualified to handle investigations over the experience of doing it. When I applied 2 years ago a degree wasn't required. I will have my degree at the end of this semester so I guess it truly doesn't matter.

Comment

• It's the internet, and this is a random forum. If he were making errors like this on official documentation then it would be worth noting, but since he isn't (presumably) calling him out on it serves no purpose. If he's going through the hiring process then he passed his SAEE, and passed the grammar/writing Easy-As-Pie portion as well (this surprisingly fails people). So don't use it against him. No need to turn this thread into a negative thing. We're all here for the same reasons

Comment

• Originally posted by SoutoXS View Post
                    It's the internet, and this is a random forum. If he were making errors like this on official documentation then it would be worth noting, but since he isn't (presumably) calling him out on it serves no purpose. If he's going through the hiring process then he passed his SAEE, and passed the grammar/writing Easy-As-Pie portion as well (this surprisingly fails people). So don't use it against him. No need to turn this thread into a negative thing. We're all here for the same reasons
                    Look, I'm not trying to be a dick, but the "e" and "a" keys aren't keys that you typically mix up when typing (e.g. "typr" is a typo for "type," where as Manuel is not generally a typo for manual). And sure, this is an internet forum, and not official documentation. But, in my experience, people who do a lot of writing for a living tend to use the same style, grammar, and syntax in all mediums, whether that be online in a forum or in an official document.

The ultimate point is that, at the end of the day, the final hiring decision comes from a dark room filled with unknown people who are going to decide who they think is the most qualified based on whatever criteria they want; whether or not a person gets DQ'd for lack of a degree is up to them. But, an individual applicant has no control over that final decision. They do, however, have control over whether or not they a degree when they apply.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clint2069 View Post

First, you shouldn't take things so seriously partner. My fictional exchange was supposed to lighten you guys up a bit, so relax and have a laugh. It's called satire my man. Second, you don't know me and I don't know you from Stew so please don't assume that I am intentionally "putting anyone down." Third, I know plenty of folks in the process without degrees (some have received the call) so I am aware of the significance of experience. I am actually a fierce proponent of experience over education having benefited from both in my time. Finally, my little dialogue actually pointed out the short comings of those with a degree. Notice the blind and unbridled enthusiasm of the new agent who takes his time and energy to place significance on the insignificant...he overthinks. Notice my jab at those in headquarters who Otis calls eggheads. In my story he outsmarts them. In fact the smartest one in the story was the one without the degree. He has the same job as someone who went college for four years. So who is really ahead? A degree is simply a piece of paper that says you can complete a task. This should not be a member measuring moment sir. Quite frankly, I'd rather have you as a partner than the trainee in the story. So take a breather, sir
                      OUT!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Radio Raheem View Post
                        First, you shouldn't take things so seriously partner. My fictional exchange was supposed to lighten you guys up a bit, so relax and have a laugh. It's called satire my man. Second, you don't know me and I don't know you from Stew so please don't assume that I am intentionally "putting anyone down." Third, I know plenty of folks in the process without degrees (some have received the call) so I am aware of the significance of experience. I am actually a fierce proponent of experience over education having benefited from both in my time. Finally, my little dialogue actually pointed out the short comings of those with a degree. Notice the blind and unbridled enthusiasm of the new agent who takes his time and energy to place significance on the insignificant...he overthinks. Notice my jab at those in headquarters who Otis calls eggheads. In my story he outsmarts them. In fact the smartest one in the story was the one without the degree. He has the same job as someone who went college for four years. So who is really ahead? A degree is simply a piece of paper that says you can complete a task. This should not be a member measuring moment sir. Quite frankly, I'd rather have you as a partner than the trainee in the story. So take a breather, sir
                        Maybe the complexities of your story require a college degree to understand...

Comment

• Ok guys. Look, we are all in the same boat here and I know the frustration levels can make us a bit edgy, but let's not blow this out of proportion. We all have something to add to the Secret Service whether it be 3.14's military and JD (sorry if I left something out), Clint's extensive LE experience and education, or my LE experience, education, and devilish good looks. We are all in the same boat. Let's just work together to paddle to the promised land lol
                          OUT!!

Comment

• Guys I have been quiet here but we are all applying for the same team so there is no need to fight each other over something as dumb as this.

Let's keep our eyes on the prize and get the most qualified in to change the tide of the service for the better.

That's my piece......

Comment

• Originally posted by 3.14 Beans View Post
                              Look, I'm not trying to be a dick, but the "e" and "a" keys aren't keys that you typically mix up when typing (e.g. "typr" is a typo for "type," where as Manuel is not generally a typo for manual). And sure, this is an internet forum, and not official documentation. But, in my experience, people who do a lot of writing for a living tend to use the same style, grammar, and syntax in all mediums, whether that be online in a forum or in an official document.

The ultimate point is that, at the end of the day, the final hiring decision comes from a dark room filled with unknown people who are going to decide who they think is the most qualified based on whatever criteria they want; whether or not a person gets DQ'd for lack of a degree is up to them. But, an individual applicant has no control over that final decision. They do, however, have control over whether or not they a degree when they apply.
                              Right, and while having a degree doesn't automatically make you a better investigator, it automatically makes you a better writer.

And btw, that was literally a p***ing match.

Comment

• I'm the bigger man and will apologize if I offended anyone with my comment. I misinterpreted what radio posted and it's a personal pet peeve of mine. We all have buttons that set us off and someone thinking they are smarter than me just cause they have a degree is one of mine. We all bring something different to the table and I wish all of you the best of luck in the process. I will now remove my foot from my mouth and go back to work.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9955 users online. 442 members and 9513 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X