300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***Delete***
    Last edited by Bronc_smith; 01-27-2017, 06:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronc_smith View Post
      I respect your opinion...the only thing I will comment on is that I could get a 90 yr old lady to open/close the limo door...it has nothing to do with muscle and if it did no one in the agency would be strong enough...

So as far as that article...
      Haha, fair enough.

Comment

I get what you are saying and this would be great if we were talking about the military or swat or cat. Its really hard to describe but it's really not like that in these offices. You really don't have time to worry about others and when in comes time "get in the thick" everyone is ready.

Being an investigator is such an independent duty you just really don't have time to be worried about that. There are those on my floor that are fat bodies and I never once thought about "man I don't want him in the stack on a raid" and on the contrary, there are those that are superman and I don't care and no one else cares. At the end of the day everyone produces. We are not street cops so we aren't chasing after ANYONE. We operate smarter not harder...we are the feds...we will get them...now if you are on CAT or HAMMER then people worry about maintaining that fitness...

It's hard to explain/understand and on the outside you may say otherwise but once you get in, it will make sense. You'll get all the challenging you need when those fat bodies work circles around you with their investigative skills. Generally the only person who cares about Fitness is you because in the Secret Service the only thing the agency cares about is investigative stats and protection and you don't have to be fit to be king at either one of them. Personally I think they should do away with the fitness test... Not that I don't want to be in shape but number 1, its a joke and number 2, it is really not needed to be a criminal investigator in my opinion. Keep in mind also, that motivation from others isn't going to come in the form of fitness... its simply by who wants to work and who doesn't... You can have a fat body that's an investigative genius and can rock and roll in a surveillance and don't give a damn about kicking down a door... And you can have a fitness superstar who is just collecting a paycheck, who doesn't want to help out on surveillance or trash pull, who doesnt want to go undercover, who never volunteers for anything and you always find them in the gym ... Taking advantage of every opportunity he can to get a workout in.

Just continue to focus on you and do what YOU have to do...I ain't going to lie...it's hard as heck to stay fit with our random schedules but at the end of the day, don't worry about what you end up with in your squad, you can't control it but what you can control is employing others within their capabilities and limitations when you are team leader on a raid... that's what a real leader does
        Bronc, I completely believe everything you have said. However, I do have a question. Every SA I've spoken with in my local FO bemoans the fact that they don't have enough time for their investigations because every few weeks, they have to go on a protection detail and they can't work their investigations during that time. How does the Service expect metrics to be met if the investigations can only be worked half the time?

Comment

• [***Delete***
          Last edited by Bronc_smith; 01-27-2017, 06:42 PM.

Comment

• ***Delete***
            Last edited by Bronc_smith; 01-27-2017, 06:41 PM.

Comment

• Always appreciate the perspective and info, typos be damned.

Comment

I say all that to say this, while it sucks, a winner finds a way to win.
                Got me all jacked up, I'm ready to do some push-ups at my desk.
                USSS SA & (UD)
                Applied - June 2015/(April 2015)
                SAEE/POST - September 29, 2015/(June 23,2015)
                SUPER- November 18, 2015/(July 31, 2015)
                COE - January 8, 2015/(September 3, 2015)
                Security Interview - September 11, 2015 (with UD process)
                Polygraph - November 19, 2015 (with UD process)
                Medical - December 1, 2015 (with UD process)
                Background Investigation - Started January 11, 2016 (to be finished January 25, 2016)
                Home Interview - January 20, 2016
                The Call™™™™™ - February 9, 2016 for SA

Comment

Last edited by darklink; 03-13-2017, 02:58 PM.

Comment

• How are points determined for the physical fitness 'test'? I'm doing great on chinups, pushups and situps, but I'm struggling to get a faster time.
                    Any advice on how to get a faster time? I'm constantly pushing myself, but running in short at 8 minute miles.

Comment

• Originally posted by SoutoXS View Post
                      How are points determined for the physical fitness 'test'? I'm doing great on chinups, pushups and situps, but I'm struggling to get a faster time.
                      Any advice on how to get a faster time? I'm constantly pushing myself, but running in short at 8 minute miles.
                      I like to do interval training some days. I'll do quarter mile intervals at my goal pace or just a little faster than my goal pace. This will get your body use to that speed. Other days I'll do "larger" intervals something like 3/4 of a mile at goal pace, 1/2 a mile at goal pace, then some quarter miles at goal pace.

Mix in some distance runs at whatever pace you can handle. I'll also throw in some 1.5 mile runs trying to beat my previous PR. The biggest thing is to push yourself no matter where you are fitness wise. If you keep putting in the time you will eventually get to where you need to be.

While I can score an excellent on the USSS run portion of the test, it is admittedly not my best portion of the test so I am sure there are others on here with better workouts.

Stew Smith, an ex SEAL, has some workouts online for passing the FBI PFT and I think a 1.5 mile PFT one as well. The FBI one is a 2 mile test so it can be adapted to fit the 1.5 mile USSS one.

Edit: as for test scoring: http://www.secretservice.gov/join/training/fitness/
                      Last edited by Tango_Alpha; 01-28-2016, 12:04 PM.
                      USSS SA & (UD)
                      Background Investigation - Started January 11, 2016 (to be finished January 25, 2016)

Comment

• I like the interval training too. I'll do 400 or 800 meter repeats about 4-7 times faster than what my goal pace is for the mile and a half. Some days I'll go longer than 1.5 miles slower (and on varied terrain), and then only occasionally go to a track to time my mile and a half. I also like mixing in uphill sprints. Find a good hill that takes you anywhere from 25-45 sec or so to sprint up (at almost 100% effort, but not quite, after all, you're going to have to do it more than once), rest a couple minutes in between and do that 6-8 times.

I'm still a slow runner, but just more running is what will do it, and mixing in those different types of training I think is more effective, and at least for me, keeps it more fun and interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by fedxfit View Post
                          I like the interval training too. I'll do 400 or 800 meter repeats about 4-7 times faster than what my goal pace is for the mile and a half. Some days I'll go longer than 1.5 miles slower (and on varied terrain), and then only occasionally go to a track to time my mile and a half. I also like mixing in uphill sprints. Find a good hill that takes you anywhere from 25-45 sec or so to sprint up (at almost 100% effort, but not quite, after all, you're going to have to do it more than once), rest a couple minutes in between and do that 6-8 times.

I'm still a slow runner, but just more running is what will do it, and mixing in those different types of training I think is more effective, and at least for me, keeps it more fun and interesting.
                          Yeah doing the same workout will get boring and it's also better for your muscles to change the type of workout you do.

Hills/stairs are great training too, sadly not many hills where I live haha
                          USSS SA & (UD)

Comment

• Yea, in Central Florida (by UCF), there aren't very many hills lol. Thanks for this advice though. I've just been going out and hitting a mile and a half as hard as I can over and over, and yea, it's boring as all hell lol.
                            Also, as far as evaluation goes how many points does one need to pass, and how many points is each level 'worth'? I know they rate excellent, good, fair, etc..., but is that the only way they rate with no point system? Do you just need Fair or above on everything to pass?

Comment

• Originally posted by darklink View Post
                              I had noticed my application status had updated a couple weeks ago so I had a feeling this was coming, but it's good to finally get confirmation of it. How long does it usually take to get contacted for the interview? Any tips on how to prepare?
                              Got that email on December 10th for a test taken in early November. Still waiting for SUPER. Local FO (in a fairly good sized city) said "Presidential Campaign requirements have taken precedence over other activities in this office."

Can't really argue with that so I just "be patience" as they say in the Philippines

Comment

• Originally posted by SoutoXS View Post
                                How are points determined for the physical fitness 'test'? I'm doing great on chinups, pushups and situps, but I'm struggling to get a faster time.
                                Each category (exercise) scores 0-4 points.
                                http://www.secretservice.gov/join/training/fitness/

Sent from my Ultra Magic SuperPhone using Tapatalk.
                                Last edited by bayranger; 01-28-2016, 03:06 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2647 users online. 113 members and 2534 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X