300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NotGivingUp007 View Post
    Hello, I'm new to this forum and the main reason I signed up is due to this particular thread. I first took my TEA exam in March. I made sure to take all the necessary study preparations by purchasing the Arco study guide and spending countless hours studying it. It turns out I missed passing by only one point. At that point they set me up to take the test again in April and I made sure to study even harder than before to insure a successful outcome. I even studied the online study guide "ice" since I found that I went over my TRE exam guide so many times, I memorized all the answers. Then once again I found out I didn't pass the exam and missed it only by one question a second time in a row! Now I'm scheduled to retake the exam for a third and final time next month and I'm very worried. This job means everything to me and I have been preparing all myself to become a federal agent (secret service). Can anyone give me any type of advice, or study tips for my last and final shot at the TEA exam??? Thank you so much.
    I don't really have any advice as I am just taking it for the first time next Wed., but I am REALLY worried about it. I have studied, studied, and studied some more. I spend at least 1.5-2 hours a night and on Saturday I talked my wife into leaving the house for a little while so I could studied with peace and quiet and churned out around 7 hours worth. The math portion is what is killing me. It isn't the difficulty of the questions (I get most of them right), it is the time. I run out of time on the practice tests EVERY TIME. I try to speed up, but doing everything by hand takes so much more time than if I used a calculator.

So I am kind in the same boat. Any advice from anyone (besides speed up) would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

• Originally posted by NotGivingUp007 View Post
      Hello, I'm new to this forum and the main reason I signed up is due to this particular thread. I first took my TEA exam in March. I made sure to take all the necessary study preparations by purchasing the Arco study guide and spending countless hours studying it. It turns out I missed passing by only one point. At that point they set me up to take the test again in April and I made sure to study even harder than before to insure a successful outcome. I even studied the online study guide "ice" since I found that I went over my TRE exam guide so many times, I memorized all the answers. Then once again I found out I didn't pass the exam and missed it only by one question a second time in a row! Now I'm scheduled to retake the exam for a third and final time next month and I'm very worried. This job means everything to me and I have been preparing all myself to become a federal agent (secret service). Can anyone give me any type of advice, or study tips for my last and final shot at the TEA exam??? Thank you so much.

Keep at it! I took the exam about three weeks ago. I bought the study guide and I focused on the verbal which is where I was struggling. Easiest way to help with the math and the speed is to really look at there study guide breakdown in the section before the Diagnostic Exam in the ARCO book. That helped me a lot. I finished the test and felt confident. Also remember to answer every question to the best of your ability, there is no penalty for wrong answers! I just found out that I passed with an 81, so I am happy. Now I have to fill out all of the paperwork..... Good Luck!

Comment

• Kind of a stupid question, but do you think it matters if one wears their glasses to the panel or not? My vision is well within spec, but I usually have glasses on. Just wasn't sure if it could be viewed negatively.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1811orBust View Post
          On the flip side of that, I had my initial interview after the TEA and encountered many agents during the TEA. You can always take the jacket off while you are testing. Just food for thought.
          You know what, I apologize, after reading Bham SA's post again, he did say he hadn't yet had an initial interview. I had my initial and was given the letter at that time that stated, like his, that dress for the TEA was business casual. However, I agree with you, had I not already passed that initial interview, I might think twice about wearing a suit, just in case they wanted an 'informal' interview afterwards. I envy you guys processing out of FO's that are doing this new streamlined thing. I'm practically getting an ulcer waiting a month between each part of the process!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bham SA Hopeful View Post
            I don't really have any advice as I am just taking it for the first time next Wed., but I am REALLY worried about it. I have studied, studied, and studied some more. I spend at least 1.5-2 hours a night and on Saturday I talked my wife into leaving the house for a little while so I could studied with peace and quiet and churned out around 7 hours worth. The math portion is what is killing me. It isn't the difficulty of the questions (I get most of them right), it is the time. I run out of time on the practice tests EVERY TIME. I try to speed up, but doing everything by hand takes so much more time than if I used a calculator.

So I am kind in the same boat. Any advice from anyone (besides speed up) would be greatly appreciated.
            Uh... I hate to say it, but get ready to run out of time on the actual test. I ran out of time and had to guess random letters for at least 5 of the math questions. My advice, if I had to take it over again, try to scan through and complete the math problems that you feel like you know how to do and can find the correct answer for. I got bogged down on problems I didn't know how to solve, and maybe some of the ones at the end that I had to guess on might have been ones that I could have done correctly in the time I wasted struggling to probably guess the wrong answer to an earlier problem. But just know that you are not alone, most people run out of time for the math, don't let it shake you up. Do your best. I promise that I didn't answer even 10 of the math problems correctly, and I still passed.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1811Chick View Post
              Uh... I hate to say it, but get ready to run out of time on the actual test. I ran out of time and had to guess random letters for at least 5 of the math questions. My advice, if I had to take it over again, try to scan through and complete the math problems that you feel like you know how to do and can find the correct answer for. I got bogged down on problems I didn't know how to solve, and maybe some of the ones at the end that I had to guess on might have been ones that I could have done correctly in the time I wasted struggling to probably guess the wrong answer to an earlier problem. But just know that you are not alone, most people run out of time for the math, don't let it shake you up. Do your best. I promise that I didn't answer even 10 of the math problems correctly, and I still passed.
              Thanks Chick. I was worrying myself to death about passing this test and last night I came to peace with the fact that I am doing EVERYTHING I can to pass and in the end that is all I can ask of myself.

BTW, did you guys hear that the ATF dropped giving this exam and came up with their own exam like the FBI?

Comment

Last edited by cutter; 02-23-2010, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Thanks Chick. I was worrying myself to death about passing this test and last night I came to peace with the fact that I am doing EVERYTHING I can to pass and in the end that is all I can ask of myself.

BTW, did you guys hear that the ATF dropped giving this exam and came up with their own exam like the FBI?
                  That is absolutely the right attitude. You've studied, you're as prepared as you can be, and heck, if you are getting most of the math problems right on your practice tests, you are already way ahead of where I was! You'll be fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by cutter View Post
                    Just got LASIK yesterday, it is the greatest thing ever. Today I have 20/10 vision, pretty surreal. Time to apply now. Hopefully they schedule me for the TEA soon.
                    What was your vision before? Mine is a hair over 20/40 so my doc advised contacts instead of Lasik, but I'm still really interested in the procedure because I hate putting those things in my eyes all of the time.

Comment

Last edited by cutter; 02-23-2010, 05:43 PM.

Comment

• Thanks Chick. What is your timeline looking like and are there other agencies you have applied to?

Comment

• Originally posted by 1811orBust View Post
                          Kind of a stupid question, but do you think it matters if one wears their glasses to the panel or not? My vision is well within spec, but I usually have glasses on. Just wasn't sure if it could be viewed negatively.
                          I wore glasses to the panel and was asked how bad my vision was. I was not prepared for that question and stumbled a little. If I had it to do over I would have gone with contacts or nothing all together. Just my .02

Comment

Thanks Chick. What is your timeline looking like and are there other agencies you have applied to?
                            I haven't applied to any other agencies so far; I sort of just stumbled across the announcement for USSS one day and filled out the application and submitted it that same night. Didn't think anything else about it until I got a phone call from the ASAC of my local FO a month or so later. Timeline so far: applied early part of 1/09, ASAC called me on 2/25/09, initial interview 2/30/09, TEA was 4/1/09, notified I had passed 4/8/09, turned in my SF 86 and medical questionnaire on 4/20/09 and now I'm waiting on them to coordinate their schedules for the panel.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1811Chick View Post
                              I haven't applied to any other agencies so far; I sort of just stumbled across the announcement for USSS one day and filled out the application and submitted it that same night. Didn't think anything else about it until I got a phone call from the ASAC of my local FO a month or so later. Timeline so far: applied early part of 1/09, ASAC called me on 2/25/09, initial interview 2/30/09, TEA was 4/1/09, notified I had passed 4/8/09, turned in my SF 86 and medical questionnaire on 4/20/09 and now I'm waiting on them to coordinate their schedules for the panel.
                              Wow your timeline so far is really fast

Comment

• The DC process is even faster right now. I did my TEA and initial interview on the same day, then 2 weeks later had my panel.

They are trying to streamline the process.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5270 users online. 374 members and 4896 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X