Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Secret Service SA hiring process

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by LE_OR_BUST View Post
    Too late [emoji16]

    They are talking about it there. Didn't see one for the new announcement. They'll probably be like this thread and be all inclusive for announcements to come

    Sent from my Gameboy Color using Tapatalk
    Yeah I see that now. Thanks, TDF! Haha Jk
    Good luck to everyone applying on it. I haven't decided yet if I'm pulling the trigger on it. I'll go over there to the thread if I do.
    In the meantime, hopefully we'll see some USSS action this week? It's been a little sluggish for a bit.

    Sent from my Ultra Magic SuperPhone using Tapatalk.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by bayranger View Post
      Yeah I see that now. Thanks, TDF! Haha Jk
      Good luck to everyone applying on it. I haven't decided yet if I'm pulling the trigger on it. I'll go over there to the thread if I do.
      In the meantime, hopefully we'll see some USSS action this week? It's been a little sluggish for a bit.

      Sent from my Ultra Magic SuperPhone using Tapatalk.
      USSS SA > HSI SA. True or False?

      And to answer Bay's question, nothing here. No positive or negative response since the application went "under review" a couple of weeks ago. Just waiting.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by UtahAlumnus View Post
        USSS SA > HSI SA. True or False?

        And to answer Bay's question, nothing here. No positive or negative response since the application went "under review" a couple of weeks ago. Just waiting.
        I don't think one SA is > than another especially in big agencies like these.

        Sent from my Gameboy Color using Tapatalk

        Comment


        • Originally posted by UtahAlumnus View Post
          USSS SA > HSI SA. True or False?

          And to answer Bay's question, nothing here. No positive or negative response since the application went "under review" a couple of weeks ago. Just waiting.
          I have seen plenty of agents leave usss to go to ice...I have seen plenty of ice agents try to COME BACK to the usss. As well as this with other agencies.

          I do agree that there is no need to try to compare agencies because they all have their mission. I think some are more professional and have a higher standard than others. Usss being at the top end of that list

          Comment


          • Secret Service SA hiring process

            Originally posted by Bronc_smith View Post
            I have seen plenty of agents leave usss to go to ice...I have seen plenty of ice agents try to COME BACK to the usss. As well as this with other agencies.

            I do agree that there is no need to try to compare agencies because they all have their mission. I think some are more professional and have a higher standard than others. Usss being at the top end of that list
            Bad joke.......


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

            Comment


            • Originally posted by UtahAlumnus View Post
              USSS SA > HSI SA. True or False?

              And to answer Bay's question, nothing here. No positive or negative response since the application went "under review" a couple of weeks ago. Just waiting.
              It depends on which agencies jibe with your skills and career desires. I'm sure you could say a certain percentage of people prefer one over the other but then you've got individuals who would prefer the total opposite. I personally would prefer USSS over ICE/HSI.

              Sent from my Ultra Magic SuperPhone using Tapatalk.

              Comment


              • I mean, USSS's primary mission is protection. If you want to do protection, you go to the USSS. If you reaaaaallly want to focus on investigations, you are probably better suited (no pun intended) for another agency where the focus in funding and manpower is on investigations.

                The way I see it, it's not really what agency is better than another. It's just what you want to do in your career. And sure, plenty would be happy with either/or.

                For those interested, I started a new HSI thread for the recent announcement: http://forums.officer.com/t201488/
                Last edited by aspiring_fed; 09-01-2015, 12:28 AM.

                Comment


                • The grass is always greener from a distance, but it takes a lot of manure to make it that way...deep thoughts by bruddahbean a la Jack Handey
                  The Keeper of The Listâ„¢
                  Fan of All Who Receiveth The Callâ„¢
                  Believer in the ~bean Suffix

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by jb2257
                    Based on what? I can think of several agencies I would rank ahead of them in terms of most dangerous 1811 positions.
                    ATF, in my opinion, would be the most dangerous, by far.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by UtahAlumnus View Post
                      USSS SA > HSI SA. True or False?

                      And to answer Bay's question, nothing here. No positive or negative response since the application went "under review" a couple of weeks ago. Just waiting.
                      Look at it this way. USSS does two things, counterfeit/fraud investigations and personal security. You could go as far as saying that the USSS investigates "crimes against our financial system" if you wanted to make that part of their mission sound more broad. On the other hand, HSI is officially the lead investigative arm of DHS. They investigate crimes that have to do with the movement of people and goods into, within, and out of the US. So, like the FBI, they are very broad and general in nature, the main aspect that makes agencies like the FBI and HSI so appealing. In a sense, they investigate EVERYTHING. No limits essentially. Their broad scope stretches into almost all other realms of law enforcement. HSI doesn't just investigate human smuggling/trafficking (e.g. busting sweat-shops) and follow up on the illegal aliens who made it past customs and the Border Patrol down on the border. If it can be proven that drugs have crossed the border in order to be sold in the US (which they almost always have been), boom, HSI, not just the DEA, is on the case. If it can be proven that illegal guns are being illegally trafficked into Mexico to arm the cartels, again, HSI and not just the ATF is on the case. If somebody finds out that some US company or criminal organization within our country is selling circuit boards to F-16's, or some other component of sensitive US technology, to one of our adversaries, HSI, not just the FBI, is on it. In a nutshell, just think of HSI as a transnational crime-focused version of the FBI. HSI (crimes threatening homeland security) v. the FBI (crimes threatening national security).

                      I hope that helps.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by BigE View Post
                        Look at it this way. USSS does two things, counterfeit/fraud investigations and personal security. You could go as far as saying that the USSS investigates "crimes against our financial system" if you wanted to make that part of their mission sound more broad. On the other hand, HSI is officially the lead investigative arm of DHS. They investigate crimes that have to do with the movement of people and goods into, within, and out of the US. So, like the FBI, they are very broad and general in nature, the main aspect that makes agencies like the FBI and HSI so appealing. In a sense, they investigate EVERYTHING. No limits essentially. Their broad scope stretches into almost all other realms of law enforcement. HSI doesn't just investigate human smuggling/trafficking (e.g. busting sweat-shops) and follow up on the illegal aliens who made it past customs and the Border Patrol down on the border. If it can be proven that drugs have crossed the border in order to be sold in the US (which they almost always have been), boom, HSI, not just the DEA, is on the case. If it can be proven that illegal guns are being illegally trafficked into Mexico to arm the cartels, again, HSI and not just the ATF is on the case. If somebody finds out that some US company or criminal organization within our country is selling circuit boards to F-16's, or some other component of sensitive US technology, to one of our adversaries, HSI, not just the FBI, is on it. In a nutshell, just think of HSI as a transnational crime-focused version of the FBI. HSI (crimes threatening homeland security) v. the FBI (crimes threatening national security).

                        I hope that helps.
                        Thanks, it does. Sounds like quite a difference from some of these OIG 1811s. I started applying for 1811s at 35 years and 9 months. At first I was being picky, then I read (on this forum) that I should apply for multiple 1811s and take whatever comes to stop the clock and get my foot in the door. So in the last 6 months I've put in probably 2 dozen 1811 applications; everything from GSA and DOL OIG to BLM to USSS, CBP, and a bunch of Treasury jobs (which I never seem to get best qualified for). So far have gotten referred a few times but no calls yet.

                        I also got good advice to not worry about dropping down to a GS-9 (from 12) because with LEAP it can be a lateral and in the long run I'll more than make it up.

                        Comment


                        • Also does anyone know if HSI SA are given their location with the job offer like USSS, or are you given your field office halfway through training like FBI?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by UtahAlumnus View Post
                            Also does anyone know if HSI SA are given their location with the job offer like USSS, or are you given your field office halfway through training like FBI?
                            You will get your location with your final offer. If you are lucky you will have more than one location to chose from. However the last couple classes were not given a choice. It was one location, take it or leave it.


                            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                            Comment


                            • More than just sig sauer coming soon, phase one = 4 years now, oh and the service investigates child porn too.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Bronc_smith View Post
                                More than just sig sauer coming soon, phase one = 4 years now, oh and the service investigates child porn too.
                                I thought the Service was moving away from the Sig and more toward the FN?

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 4212 users online. 289 members and 3923 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X