300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Code12911 View Post
    The position with them is in the "Excepted" Service not "Competitive Service". They DO NOT have to play by OPM's rules if they chose not too!

It might be a good idea to read this and make sure you understand the difference!

http://www.fedsmith.com/2010/11/28/f...e-vs-excepted/
    Let me clarify, I have not been very clear on the subject and for that I apologize. Veterans who fall in the CPS category will always float to the top. The only way to disqualify them even in the excepted service is with an explanation as to why written to the OPM, I have been told this almost never happens.

I hope that is more clear.
    Last edited by Firefox; 07-10-2014, 09:12 PM.

Comment

• i wouldn't sweat the veterans preference stuff (i am one and never counted it as a significant advantage). if you're the better fit for the service, i'm sure that's all that really matters. i was told on more than one occasion and from two separate FOs (moved mid process) that more than experience or skill set, what they're looking for is good people. it's a throw-back hiring strategy that says you can train skills, you can't train character once someone has already developed theirs.

"Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because he, or she is a veteran and I'm not, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain't you! You're better than that!" (Rocky)- that applies for anyone sweating Vet Pref and for anyone taking a poly. i've taken 9. best advice- know who you are and don't let the examiner convince you that you should doubt yourself.

Comment

• Removed..............
        Last edited by scoops; 02-20-2015, 10:01 PM.

Comment

• Removed..............
          Last edited by scoops; 02-20-2015, 10:01 PM.

Comment

• I'm a veteran, but don't qualify for Vet Preference. And, just from personal experience, I've not seen Vet Preference significantly affect if someone was hired. Well okay, there are a couple, but I don't count a person being hired on the basis of Vet Pref alone.

Anyone received a email notice of the SPI being delayed into June/July?

Comment

• A few things on Vet Preference according to http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/ and http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-overs...ces/vet-guide/

Veterans' preference applies, to virtually all new appointments in both the competitive and excepted service. Veterans' preference does not guarantee veterans a job.

Preference eligibles who are qualified for a position and achieved a passing score have 5 or 10 extra points added to their numerical ratings depending on which of the previously described categories of preference they meet. This means the highest possible rating is 110 (a disabled veteran who earns a score of 100 has 10 extra points added).

Names of eligible applicants are placed on lists, or registers of eligibles, in the order of their ratings. Competitor inventories are established from which selections will be made over a period of time and for case examining in which a register is used to fill a single position or a group of positions and is closed after the needed selection(s) is made.

For scientific and professional positions in grade General Schedule (GS) - 9 or higher, names of all qualified applicants are listed on competitor inventories in order of their ratings, augmented by veteran preference, if any.

For all other positions, the names of 10-point preference eligibles who have a compensable, service-connected disability of 10 percent or more (CP and CPS) are listed at the top of the register in the order of their ratings ahead of the names of all other eligibles. The names of other 10-point preference eligibles, 5-point preference eligibles, and other applicants are listed in order of their numerical ratings.

A preference eligible is listed ahead of a nonpreference eligible having the same final rating.

In my humble opinion, Vets are given preference to test. Then, points are added to their numerical scores. From there, it's where you rank numerically throughout the rest of the process.

I'm a Vet. 'Merica! Best regards to everyone!

Comment

• Hi All! I have my SI scheduled next week and was hoping someone could give some insight on what to expect? Do I need to take any supporting documents? Thanks in advance!

Comment

• Originally posted by FEDgirl View Post
                  Hi All! I have my SI scheduled next week and was hoping someone could give some insight on what to expect? Do I need to take any supporting documents? Thanks in advance!
                  Take your identification and just be ready to clarify whatever information you wrote on the SF86 plus you will sign the parts of the document that have too be Signed and dated. That is also your opportunity to explain any police issues or anything that may come up during your BIso just be clear and upfront

Comment

• Originally posted by mmasaba View Post
                    Take your identification and just be ready to clarify whatever information you wrote on the SF86 plus you will sign the parts of the document that have too be Signed and dated. That is also your opportunity to explain any police issues or anything that may come up during your BIso just be clear and upfront
                    Thank you!!! Identification as in Drivers License? Should I also take supporting docs like Birth Certificate or SS Card?

Comment

• Originally posted by FEDgirl View Post
                      Thank you!!! Identification as in Drivers License? Should I also take supporting docs like Birth Certificate or SS Card?
                      Yes Drivers License. l took my passport with me too. They needed to verify the passport information that I had written down since I had had Several International travels. So yes take your passport or birth certificate as well, whichever is more Convenient for you. As for S.S card, they will not ask for that. I hope this helps

Comment

• I am scheduled to take a polygraph tomorrow, any idea on how long I can expect to be at the FO?

Comment

• Originally posted by Agent25 View Post
                          I am scheduled to take a polygraph tomorrow, any idea on how long I can expect to be at the FO?
                          Plan on being there at least 5-6 hours. From entering to exiting the FO. May be longer if you have issues to explain. Good luck!

Comment

• Anyone take the SAEE out of Texas?

Comment

• Anyone else been waiting around 2 months to hear the results of their SPI??? I had mine early May and still no word, I know usually with the gov that no news is good news but I am just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat as me.

Comment

• Originally posted by 00BCK View Post
                                Anyone take the SAEE out of Texas?
                                Yep

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6603 users online. 318 members and 6285 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X