Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Secret Service SA hiring process

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Removed..............
    Last edited by scoops; 02-20-2015, 10:00 PM.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by scoops View Post
      Well it looks like the end of July or first week in August!
      That is corrected! My buddy is going thru the academy right now. He was hired a month out and they also have to give you two to three weeks to allow you time to leave your job and arrive to your new field office. I am in the federal government and they have to start you during the beginning of the new pay cycle. This would be July 28th then August 11th. So if there is an academy in September as I previously posted officer should be at their new duty station no later than August 11th.

      Comment


      • Removed..............
        Last edited by scoops; 02-20-2015, 10:00 PM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by scoops View Post
          Do you know if they pay Bi weekly? Is it pretty much a good bet that since I am done with everything I will most likely receive an academy date or are we still seeing people who have completed the entire process not getting hired?
          I'm willing to bet that there are more than 24 people nation wide who are done with the process and waiting for an academy date. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but being done with the process doesn't mean that you automatically have a spot for the September class.

          I was told that once you are done with the process, all applicants are then placed into the pipeline from best qualified to least. So essentially, while you are in the pipeline awaiting a class date, other applicants are finishing the process and are being put in the pipeline as well. If they are a more qualified applicant then you, guess what, they get ranked above you and will get a call before you.

          The USSS process isn't the first to the finish line, the first to be hired.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by scoops View Post
            Do you know if they pay Bi weekly? Is it pretty much a good bet that since I am done with everything I will most likely receive an academy date or are we still seeing people who have completed the entire process not getting hired?
            Yes, they do pay Bi weekly. I have no idea how they select people for the academy class your guess is as good as mine. There might be someone else in the forum who can answer this question. I know there are plenty of us on here who have completed the process and it is unknown how many people who are not on this forum who have also completed the process!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by scoops View Post
              Do you know if they pay Bi weekly? Is it pretty much a good bet that since I am done with everything I will most likely receive an academy date or are we still seeing people who have completed the entire process not getting hired?
              Also, keep in mind that those of us who have completed everything and have veteran's preference, according to a conversation I had with HCD, are slotted at the front of the line for the hiring panel. Their policy is to hire veterans before non-veterans.

              Comment


              • Removed..............
                Last edited by scoops; 02-20-2015, 10:00 PM.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by scoops View Post
                  See I was told that veterans only make up a percent of each academy in order for the agency to hire a variety of applicants such as ones with Engineering, Computer Science, Accounting skills. Again this was what I was told.
                  Imagine that...a lack of concrete information coming out of the application process ;-)

                  Regardless, I believe that there is SOME consideration for veteran's preference.

                  Comment



                  • Originally posted by m056876 View Post
                    Imagine that...a lack of concrete information coming out of the application process ;-)

                    Regardless, I believe that there is SOME consideration for veteran's preference.
                    Cleared for hire Veterans will be hired before non-Veterans, it's the Law.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by bruddah View Post
                      I'm still waiting on my COE after taking the SPI the first week of May...anyone else from Jan 14 in the same spot? Some seemed to get it soon, then a few others got rejected around the month mark.


                      Yep I am right here with you brother, honestly I felt like I passed the interview but I have heard nothing as of yet. I even contacted my field office and still nothing lol. The waiting game, the official past time of the US govt. hiring process.
                      Last edited by Locke03; 07-10-2014, 07:21 PM.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Firefox View Post


                        Cleared for hire Veterans will be hired before non-Veterans, it's the Law.
                        From their website:

                        I am eligible for a Veterans Recruitment Act (VRA) appointment. Am I required to pass a written test to qualify for a Special Agent or Uniformed Division officer position?

                        Yes. The Secret Service does not grant waivers to the written test requirement for the special agent or Uniformed Division officer positions. However, veteran's preference points are considered when making employment decisions. Additionally, the Secret Service has a unique hiring authority for filling special agent and Uniformed Division officer positions and does not use VRA appointments for these positions.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by 06871983 View Post
                          From their website:

                          I am eligible for a Veterans Recruitment Act (VRA) appointment. Am I required to pass a written test to qualify for a Special Agent or Uniformed Division officer position?

                          Yes. The Secret Service does not grant waivers to the written test requirement for the special agent or Uniformed Division officer positions. However, veteran's preference points are considered when making employment decisions. Additionally, the Secret Service has a unique hiring authority for filling special agent and Uniformed Division officer positions and does not use VRA appointments for these positions.
                          VRA is a hiring authority, which is different than the application of Veteran's preference.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by scoops View Post
                            They are not...however that's no excuse for not being able to score a minimum of 10 points when it comes to the academy.
                            Well yeah. Wasn't insinuating anyone should bare minimum at the Academy. Just the APAT reference an concern and wanted to make sure I had correct info. Thanks for verifying the suspended APAT status.

                            Comment


                            • The position with them is in the "Excepted" Service not "Competitive Service". They DO NOT have to play by OPM's rules if they chose not too!

                              It might be a good idea to read this and make sure you understand the difference!

                              http://www.fedsmith.com/2010/11/28/f...e-vs-excepted/

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by jb2257
                                I'm far from an expert, but my understanding is that veterans preference is applied at the beginning of the process. Once you reach the end everyone is on equal footing.
                                Not the case, since the USSS uses category rating. Individuals are initially referred on certificate, you stay on that cert until you are hired. You compete against those on your certificate, veterans always float to the top on category ranking.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 6291 users online. 347 members and 5944 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X