Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Secret Service SA hiring process

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by wildstar View Post
    Hey everyone. 1st post here, but long time browser. I am preparing my application for SA, however I just talked to the recruiting agent at my local FO (Boston) and he didn't seem too into the idea of me applying. This was a much different response than I originally got from the recruiting agent in the NY/NJ FO (don't remember which one I talked to a year ago) who really encouraged me to apply. I am 26, a former Eagle Scout, graduated from the U of Delaware and was on scholarship for swimming. I worked 3 years as a personal trainer at an upscale gym training athletes, le/fd, and general population. I recently started a Doctor of Physical Therapy program but am taking a leave of absence after 1 year. I have a clean background, dad works for the government (not LE but high up in environmental protection). Would my background of no LE or LE-type degree really make my chances non-existent? I understand that no one on the forum can truly answer this, however hearing some of your backgrounds and opinions would be appreciated. Thanks! And happy new year!
    i'm at fletc now and my other half of the class is USSS peoples and a majority are former military, law enforcement, intel. but some don't have any. all i know is that they are all (girls and guys) in pretty darn good shape and i feel bad they have 5am workout sessions.

    Comment


    • Thanks for the responses. I expected that the Boston FO was a difficult one to get into. I actually would prefer being in the NYC one, it being closer to where I'm from. Would it be more beneficial to apply down there versus here? NJ is my permanent address (also where my driver's license is). Any other thoughts on my background?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by England View Post
        Well, great news today. I passed the poly. Just got a call from the local FO and they started my BI yesterday. I can't tell you how much of a surprise it was. I thought I for sure tanked the polygraph.
        CONGRATS ENGLAND!! Keep us posted.
        Last edited by AgentHopeful03; 12-31-2008, 07:41 PM.
        USSS SA:
        2/08 Applied
        7/08 Initial Interview
        5/09 TEA Exam
        11/09 Panel
        6/10 BQA Letter
        07/10 Reapplied

        USSS UD:
        11/10 Applied
        01/11 Submitted Requested SF86

        FBI:
        1/08 Applied
        1/08 Phase I Test - Did not pass
        1/09 Resubmitted Application
        2/09 Phase I Test - Passed
        5/09 Phase II - Passed
        5/09 PFT - Failed - Tore Hamstring during 300m
        9/09 Passed PFT - 19 Points!
        10/09 BQA Letter

        USCP:
        05/10 Applied
        06/10 Received COE Letter
        10/10 POST Test - Passed

        Comment


        • Originally posted by wildstar View Post
          Hey everyone. 1st post here, but long time browser. I am preparing my application for SA, however I just talked to the recruiting agent at my local FO (Boston) and he didn't seem too into the idea of me applying. This was a much different response than I originally got from the recruiting agent in the NY/NJ FO (don't remember which one I talked to a year ago) who really encouraged me to apply. I am 26, a former Eagle Scout, graduated from the U of Delaware and was on scholarship for swimming. I worked 3 years as a personal trainer at an upscale gym training athletes, le/fd, and general population. I recently started a Doctor of Physical Therapy program but am taking a leave of absence after 1 year. I have a clean background, dad works for the government (not LE but high up in environmental protection). Would my background of no LE or LE-type degree really make my chances non-existent? I understand that no one on the forum can truly answer this, however hearing some of your backgrounds and opinions would be appreciated. Thanks! And happy new year!
          It never hurts to apply where you feel you have the best shot but I will tell you. I'm former military, the other candidate processing out of my FO is a deputy sheriff, a guy I know in Lexington that is in the process is a cop, .... seeing the trend here?

          Now that being said, there are alot of young guys that have posted on this board who applied straight out of college and are waiting on the call right now.

          Your best bet imo is to apply and see how it goes but don't count on it. Apply with a local PD or SO and get a couple years of experience. Two years is what agencies usually require you to complete if they pay for the academy. Do that and you will be a much more competitive candidate, and a whole lot more knowledgeable in your chosen profession.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by wildstar View Post
            Hey everyone. 1st post here, but long time browser. I am preparing my application for SA, however I just talked to the recruiting agent at my local FO (Boston) and he didn't seem too into the idea of me applying. This was a much different response than I originally got from the recruiting agent in the NY/NJ FO (don't remember which one I talked to a year ago) who really encouraged me to apply. I am 26, a former Eagle Scout, graduated from the U of Delaware and was on scholarship for swimming. I worked 3 years as a personal trainer at an upscale gym training athletes, le/fd, and general population. I recently started a Doctor of Physical Therapy program but am taking a leave of absence after 1 year. I have a clean background, dad works for the government (not LE but high up in environmental protection). Would my background of no LE or LE-type degree really make my chances non-existent? I understand that no one on the forum can truly answer this, however hearing some of your backgrounds and opinions would be appreciated. Thanks! And happy new year!
            This doesn't surprise me. Different USSS field offices seem to have different ideas about hiring from my experience too. I interned in NYFO and at the end of my internship, they told me I shouldn't apply without 3 years of general work experience. One year later, I finished school, moved and applied through another FO and got through the BI phase. I am still waiting (have been for 16 months) but got hired by another agency. I had no LE background (besides my internship) and got pretty far so I'm sure you have a shot.

            I don't think you can choose which FO you apply through though because your application will just be forwarded to the one closest to your current address. But if you use your permanent address down in NJ, you could probably go through NY as long as you can get down there for all the interviews, etc. And as far as getting posted in NY, it is one of the offices that is offered fairly often to new hires since it isn't as sought after and is huge. Give it a try and see what happens. Good luck.
            Last edited by FutureAgent001; 01-01-2009, 02:03 AM.

            Comment


            • HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE ON THIS BOARD. MAY WE ALL GET PICKED UP BY THE USSS SOON.

              Anyway, my wife and I were talking last night and we were wondering if anyone can help us out.

              If anyone is currently employed by the USSS as an 1811 or any other agency, what are the promotions like? If you start at a GS-7 how long before you get promoted? And to what grade? What step?

              Also, what FO's are they offering the new hires? I know from reading this board, they were sending all rooks to NY, LA, or SF about a year ago. Then from following the posts it trended toward Chicago and Miami.

              When you get the call, I wonder if they would entertain the idea of something outside their 3 offerings.

              Like, they offer Inianapolis, Dallas and Miami and you ask them if Tampa is available?

              Anyone tried that?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by England View Post
                If anyone is currently employed by the USSS as an 1811 or any other agency, what are the promotions like? If you start at a GS-7 how long before you get promoted? And to what grade? What step?
                In my agency, if you start as GL-7 step 1 (EOD), you progress like this:

                1 year as a 7-1
                1 year as a 9-1
                1 year as a 11-1
                1 year as a 12-1

                Once you complete your 12-1 year, you become a 13-1. Then, you get a step every year for a couple years, then a step every two years for a while, then finally it takes three years to get a step. So, once you are around a 13-4 or so, it slows down.

                I don't know if the USSS follows the exact same pattern. Some agencies, vary, for example I think FBI uses your graduation date as your promotional anniversary, and also doesn't pay LEAP until you graduate Quantico. My agency uses your EOD date and LEAP starts on your first day of the academy.
                Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by ICEAGENT View Post
                  In my agency, if you start as GL-7 step 1 (EOD), you progress like this:

                  1 year as a 7-1
                  1 year as a 9-1
                  1 year as a 11-1
                  1 year as a 12-1

                  Once you complete your 12-1 year, you become a 13-1. Then, you get a step every year for a couple years, then a step every two years for a while, then finally it takes three years to get a step. So, once you are around a 13-4 or so, it slows down.

                  I don't know if the USSS follows the exact same pattern. Some agencies, vary, for example I think FBI uses your graduation date as your promotional anniversary, and also doesn't pay LEAP until you graduate Quantico. My agency uses your EOD date and LEAP starts on your first day of the academy.
                  Fantastic information, thanks

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by England View Post
                    Just some FYI on timelines. The lady at the FO told me that my BI isn't due until March. So basically the BI is a 60 day process. That doesn't mean I will be notified by March, just the investigator has until march to complete it.
                    This could mean that they plan on getting your BI done so that you can make the April FLETC class. Just a thought.
                    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by SgtScott31 View Post
                      This could mean that they plan on getting your BI done so that you can make the April FLETC class. Just a thought.
                      Wow, that would be quick. How do you know when the FLETC classes are? Do they have one once a month?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by England View Post
                        Wow, that would be quick. How do you know when the FLETC classes are? Do they have one once a month?
                        Well from reading the other posts, there is one starting in late January. Since the recruit class at FLETC is 10 - 12 weeks long, I would assume another would start in April.
                        Last edited by SgtScott31; 01-02-2009, 11:08 AM.
                        I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

                        Comment


                        • xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                          Last edited by OSU; 02-19-2009, 12:54 PM.

                          Comment


                          • Since the last posting for Criminal Investigator with the Secret Service closed on 12/31/08, does anyone know if they plan to re-open the announcement again in 2009? I've looked on USAJobs, and I haven't seen an announcement posted for this year as of yet.
                            Last edited by MIDeputy; 01-02-2009, 11:34 AM.

                            Comment


                            • Just to give you all a heads up about the next FLETC class. The class that starts in January is full. I was told directly from a Agent in recruiting at WFO that the next hiring panel will meet in February for a March FLETC class. Once your background is complete it usually takes several hiring panels to get hired.
                              Last edited by mcall80; 01-02-2009, 11:51 AM.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by OSU View Post
                                I read somewhere that there was a February panel for a March class, but I can't find that post on this forum or 911. Anyone confirm?

                                Gotta love the wait, going on 14 months...
                                Just gotta be patient....thats exactly what my LFO been telling me too. Im 12 months into the application process and still waiting to take my TEA exam. If nothing else this process teaches patience.
                                USSS SA:
                                2/08 Applied
                                7/08 Initial Interview
                                5/09 TEA Exam
                                11/09 Panel
                                6/10 BQA Letter
                                07/10 Reapplied

                                USSS UD:
                                11/10 Applied
                                01/11 Submitted Requested SF86

                                FBI:
                                1/08 Applied
                                1/08 Phase I Test - Did not pass
                                1/09 Resubmitted Application
                                2/09 Phase I Test - Passed
                                5/09 Phase II - Passed
                                5/09 PFT - Failed - Tore Hamstring during 300m
                                9/09 Passed PFT - 19 Points!
                                10/09 BQA Letter

                                USCP:
                                05/10 Applied
                                06/10 Received COE Letter
                                10/10 POST Test - Passed

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 11408 users online. 457 members and 10951 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X