300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by m056876 View Post
    I'm also still an active duty military officer so I will leverage that fact.
    Just my quick "whatever" cents...They can be very accommodating when it comes to child births, especially if there is a potential conflict with starting training and the birth of the child. Service members have a very strong leg to stand on when justifying why they would need to defer and it is because once a service member becomes eligible for FEHB, they have to dis-enroll from Tri-Care Prime. It is not wise or remotely beneficial to attempt to choose a new healthcare provider and try to find a best fit plan in the middle of a pregnancy; much easier to continue using your fully covered Tri-Care plan. Especially if there are specialty care needs required.

Communication is key and if you are up front with your potential conflicts and need to possibly defer, they will work with you. Of course when you defer, there are no promises for anything later, but you remain in the running. I was told they could even work something out in the event your child is born while at FLETC. As long as you don't miss more than the maximum amount of training hours; ultimately you are fine. All in all, be honest, voice your concerns, and do what is right for you and your family.
    USSS-SA
    Applied: 06/2013 (Not Referred), 01/2014 (Not Referred), 05/2014
    Referred: 06/2014
    Test Date: 07/13/2014
    SAEE Passed: 07/13/2014
    APAT: Passed w/ UD
    SPI: 08/24/2014 (Passed)
    COE: (GL-09) 08/24/2014
    SI: 2/2014 Completed w/ UD
    POLY: 2/2014 Completed w/ UD
    BI: 3/2014 Completed w/ UD
    HI: 3/2014 & 11/2014
    MEDICAL: 2/2014 Completed w/ UD
    THE CALL: 12/11/2014

Comment

• May 2014 applicant and still have not gotten any notice. Just says received. Should I assume that I am not going to get referred at this point?

Comment

• IDK kzvo91 I would say ask Det_sje because he seems to know a lot about the process. I just got scheduled for my SAEE test (May 2014 applicant) and I'm curious about this study guide. Does it actually help prepare you for this test or am I wasting my time looking at it? Is the SAEE hard? Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by CDoubleOK View Post
          IDK kzvo91 I would say ask Det_sje because he seems to know a lot about the process. I just got scheduled for my SAEE test (May 2014 applicant) and I'm curious about this study guide. Does it actually help prepare you for this test or am I wasting my time looking at it? Is the SAEE hard? Thanks!
          Yeah it just takes time......a lot of people on the forums were getting the referred status on their usajobs account but me. At the middle of March mine finally changed to referred, which was 38 days after I applied.

As far as the test goes.....the study guide is good and does help somewhat. It gets you prepared for what u are going to see on the test. My advice is don't study the answers to the questions but focus on why the answer is the correct answer, read the explanation to the answer and it will help.

Comment

• Originally posted by m056876 View Post
            This is a bit surprising because the PFT at SATC won't be any easier! Maybe they will be a bit more lax on that one too because thry are hurting for warm bodies right before election season. Pullups aren't my strong point so I'd welcome some leniency!

Don't count on any leniency. I personally know 4 people who were booted from the SS academy because they couldn't pass the PFT when they returned from FLETC.

Losing the APAT step means nothing. You will still need to be in shape to graduate from the academy. So keep training hard!

Comment

• Anyone hurting in any area of their fitness?
              Maybe I can give you a critical suggestion.
              While training in my TACP candidacy, we had to workout smarter not harder.
              -Once a week 4 to 6 sets of 1/4 mile top speed (10-12 mph) on a treadmill lowered my run drastically.
              -A pushup trick taught by a former Navy Seal too my max pushup from 35 to 50, after 1 week of work.
              -Falling down instead of lowering down on situps removed unnecessary exertion and I'm up to 65 in a minute now.

Geez, reading that over, I either sound like some celeb on a infomercial or a jock bragging about his physical ability. And here I was a band geek in High School.

I kind of wish the APAT step wasn't dropped, I crushed it (top push-ups & run time) for UD and was hoping it would give me magical bonus points toward their considerations.

Originally posted by SterlingArcher View Post
              Don't count on any leniency. I personally know 4 people who were booted from the SS academy because they couldn't pass the PFT when they returned from FLETC.

Losing the APAT step means nothing. You will still need to be in shape to graduate from the academy. So keep training hard!

Comment

• deleted post
                Last edited by NUguyinCrew; 02-07-2015, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Contegolibertas View Post
                  Anyone hurting in any area of their fitness?
                  -Once a week 4 to 6 sets of 1/4 mile top speed (10-12 mph) on a treadmill lowered my run drastically.
                  -A pushup trick taught by a former Navy Seal too my max pushup from 35 to 50, after 1 week of work.
                  -Falling down instead of lowering down on situps removed unnecessary exertion and I'm up to 65 in a minute now.

Geez, reading that over, I either sound like some celeb on a infomercial or a jock bragging about his physical ability. And here I was a band geek in High School.

I kind of wish the APAT step wasn't dropped, I crushed it (top push-ups & run time) for UD and was hoping it would give me magical bonus points toward their considerations.
                  Do tell the push up trick!
                  "'You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic mater as everyone else, and we are all part of the same compost pile."

USSS-SA
                  Applied: 05/2014
                  Referred:05/2014
                  Test Date: 06/11/2014
                  SAEE Passed: 6/17/2014
                  APAT: Suspended
                  SPI: 7/09/2014
                  COE-(GS-7): 08/09/2014
                  SI: 9/10/2014
                  Poly:01/05/2015
                  Medical: 2/23/2015
                  HI: 2/24/2015
                  Got The Callâ„¢ 3/31

Comment

Anyone hurting in any area of their fitness?

Hummmm what got you a 40% increase in your pushups in one week? Either you didn't train much before starting, or you should be selling this method on the internet. You could be sitting on the next "P90X"

Comment

While training in my TACP candidacy...
                      Something about this tells me you didn't get too far as a student at the TACP schoolhouse... Does this preface to your fitness advice supposed to add some sort of legitimacy to it?

Comment

• Just curious... Anyone out there testing in Alabama? I just got my invitation to take the SAEE next Wed. I am super stoked!
                        I have gone over the study guide... and have a pretty firm grasp on what they are looking for. Is there anything else I should be looking at / considering prior to the test? Thanks in advance! Yall are the best!
                        "'You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic mater as everyone else, and we are all part of the same compost pile."

USSS-SA
                        Applied: 05/2014
                        Referred:05/2014
                        Test Date: 06/11/2014
                        SAEE Passed: 6/17/2014
                        APAT: Suspended
                        SPI: 7/09/2014
                        COE-(GS-7): 08/09/2014
                        SI: 9/10/2014
                        Poly:01/05/2015
                        Medical: 2/23/2015
                        HI: 2/24/2015
                        Got The Callâ„¢ 3/31

Comment

• That question doesn't offend me. I'll be honest and admit that both of my Achilles tendons almost tore after an 8 mile ruck run. At 30, the body doesn't repair as quickly. Plus the medical waiver for my vision never got approved in time. So facing an early medical discharge, I picked the tech training on the list with the highest ASVAB requirement.

So, yes. I didn't finish TACP schoolhouse. I take it as a personal failure and don't consider vision waiver nor almost tearing both Achilles as a legitimate excuse. The workouts I did in preparation did yield results.

After recovering, I maxed out the fitness scores in the age group below me. I remind myself of my personal failure almost daily.....and it fuels me to make up for it.

Originally posted by Lowlife View Post
                          Something about this tells me you didn't get too far as a student at the TACP schoolhouse... Does this preface to your fitness advice supposed to add some sort of legitimacy to it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Insptr_Mo View Post
                            Do tell the push up trick!
                            The 'trick' is an alternative workout schedule and volume of pushups over time.

Monday: 200 pushups in 1 hour
                            Tuesday: 200 pushups throughout the entire day
                            Wednesday: No pushups
                            Thursday: 200 pushups in 1 hour
                            Friday: 200 pushups throughout the entire day
                            Sat-Sun: Rest
                            Monday: Test your max.

Break up the 200 into small numbers (sets of 5, 10, 20). You have an entire hour or
                            entire day to accomplish the pushups. Hydrate often, eat protein during regular meals.

That is the original pushup method Stew Smith used to promote. He's changed it to a 10 day strategy (and it hurts...)

Mr. Smith has posted great fitness advice on Military.com, plus his website provides effects strategies for preparing for Federal Law Enforcement and Special Operations. He'll also occasionally respond to emails for advice.

If you are in the DC/VA/MD area, he does occasional free workouts on the weekend. They can be very difficult.

There you go, no charge, from a TACP failure.

Comment

• Another 'trick' is correct form and movement.

Lowering yourself down in the pushup works against you and is critical. Allow gravity to do the work and drop. Put a foam block or pillow under your chest to practice the proper distance to stop the drop, and then explode up. Also, don't hold your breath. Exhale in efficient bursts, not too short to cause light headedness.

Check your hand position. Body structure varies, but hands behind and no wider (maybe a little) than shoulders, elbows closer to body (similar to a tricep pushup), and hands turn 45 degrees outward tends to provide a very sturdy pushup. Chest, shoulders, and triceps are used more evenly, rather than relying too much on shoulders or arms.

Does nothing for you? Damn dude, wear a 20-30lbs weight vest.
                              Things then become fun.
                              www.weightvest.com has excellent quality ones.
                              Wearing them also make running a bit more difficult.

Comment

• Contegolibertas, I like your style man. Great advice. I have personally read through many of Stew's online material and also incorporated the "100 push up" routine, which is very similar. Your notes on body mechanics are also spot on.

I admit, your increases came more quickly than mine (percentage wise), and that made me skeptical because I busted my *** to get that type of improvement and it took much longer than a week. But with that said... awesome job dude. Keep on training, and enjoy the soon-to-be hot days in the District!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2643 users online. 115 members and 2528 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X