Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah but u don't have to stay in the heart of DC......do you???

Comment

• Originally posted by Det_sje View Post
      I know that 1811 gigs aren't all about money, but man I was in my office daydreaming and decided to calculate the salary 1811's make. It is unreal at the promotions that are in line.

By the third year you are looking at 80k and by the forth year you are in the 90k range. So if I get called for a FO then I could possibly double my salary in three years!!!!

I'm so ready for this career change!!!!

Some of us are looking at a SIGNIFICANT pay cut and still want to do it so badly....sigh.
      The Keeper of The Listâ„¢
      Fan of All Who Receiveth The Callâ„¢
      Believer in the ~bean Suffix

Comment

• Originally posted by Det_sje View Post
        Yeah but u don't have to stay in the heart of DC......do you???
        No you don't have to live in DC. I'm currently a FLEO and work in DC and live outside where living is affordable.

Comment

• Cool......cause I have family that does the same.........they live in Gainesville VA and commute into DC

Comment

• Originally posted by bruddah View Post
            Some of us are looking at a SIGNIFICANT pay cut and still want to do it so badly....sigh.
            Don't get me wrong I want to be a federal agent so bad I can taste it.......I'm not worried about the pay......but it is a hell of an incentive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer 959 View Post
              No you don't have to live in DC. I'm currently a FLEO and work in DC and live outside where living is affordable.
              When you say affordable are you saying that home ownership is realistic without a crazy commute?

Comment

• Originally posted by bruddah View Post
                When you say affordable are you saying that home ownership is realistic without a crazy commute?
                In places like Woodbridge it's not out of the question but what would you consider a crazy commute?

Comment

• Originally posted by bonjorno_2 View Post
                  In places like Woodbridge it's not out of the question but what would you consider a crazy commute?
                  Too much over 35 minutes starts to become a bit tiresome. I've done the hour long commute and it's bearable with some good audiobooks, but all in all you are adding 2 hours to your day on top of work and that equals a HUGE opportunity cost...

Comment

• Originally posted by bonjorno_2 View Post
                    Reality is....DC is second worst for traffic behind LA. You're going to have a commute wherever you live in the metro area.

Comment

• Home ownership is def not affordable with a realistic commute in DC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer 959 View Post
                        Home ownership is def not affordable with a realistic commute in DC.
                        Maybe after your fourth or fifth year of service as an 1811.........only then you could probably find a decent and affordable home....

Comment

• Speaking from personal experience. There are several factors.
                          Distance from DC certainly changes costs, but so does location near metro stops.

In general, with a combined family income of 120k a wise family could have a fair life in DC (Condo/Apt, shop outside of DC, no unnecessary expenses, etc.). Home purchase is another thing, depending on the house.

Single person at 56k-60k? An apartment is the way to go, outside of DC. In DC, start checking craigslist and other sites for roommates or housemates. Which isn't bad, the place is kind of a college super area. Tons...and I mean tons of college or post college working professionals. So, opportunity isn't scarce.

Anyone interesting in knowing other details from an in area person, send me a PM.

Comment

• I currently work in DC and live in Northern VA. For me the commute isn't bad because I work hours that are not during rush hour. I've made it from downtown DC to Woodbridge in about 25-30 mins during off peak hours. Having lived in VA, MD and DC I'd say you can def get more bang for your buck buying or even just renting in the suburbs. Everything is so much more expensive in DC though, and like someone said earlier there is def a younger crowd living there but for me it's just not worth it. For me, living in the suburbs means if I want to go into the city and enjoy city life I can, it's about 15 mins away, but I don't have to deal with all the cons of living there.

Comment

• Completed the SPI today. About how long is it taking them to notify if you passed?
                              Applied 01/2014
                              SAEE 03/26/2014
                              APAT 04/18/2014
                              SPI 05/09/2014
                              COE (GL-9) 05/20/2014
                              SI 06/06/2014

Comment

• Is there any protocol on taking a GS-9 before a GS-7 on these announcements?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4578 users online. 268 members and 4310 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X