300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DaShwstoppahbk View Post
    I agree with this to an extent. GS13 top out with LEAP and a decent locality (20% and higher) is close to 110k.

However, most likely with the USSS you will be stationed in a high cost of living area such as NYC or DC to start. Granted you may be able to transfer eventually. But in these areas finding places to live with home prices like the south/midwest/or southwest (while possible) is not easy at all. Often times you get much less for your money.

If zackwest is living in a low cost of living area, a top out at 55-70k may very well equal a similar lifestyle to 110k in a east coast city. Gotta figure your mortgage because of taxes alone may be almost 600-1000 higher in some of those areas. But again its all scenario based. Plus and minus to both views I suppose.

There is no value you can place on being home nightly however.
    in your "Top GS13 Pay claim" I don't think you are figuring in the cost of living adjustments and the Step increases that you get in your pay for living in those high cost of living area's such as NYC or DC etc..etc.. im pretty sure a GS-13 with leap living in NYC or DC will top out making more than 116,000 when you include the higher locality pay in the equation plus step increases. Keep in mind that for the "first few" steps you get them every year and they are sizable increases. What are your using when you say "GS13 top out with leap at 110,000?????
    HSI Agent Timeline-

Applied online - March and June 2011 (VRA/Public)
    Test (New Orleans) - June 11, 2011
    Oral Board - Oct 4, 2011
    TO arrived Oct 26, 2011
    e-QIP sent - Oct 28, 2011
    Credit Check pulled Nov 4, 2011
    Medical - Nov 8, 2011
    PPD read and Med packet sent to CHS Nov 10, 2011
    (2/6/2012 BI - EOD clearance granted)
    (Med Cleared on 02/22/2012)
    Redid entire Med Exam- early 2015
    Received FLETC EOD date- Expected EOD on 6/14/2015

Comment

• Originally posted by FED/guy View Post
      in your "Top GS13 Pay claim" I don't think you are figuring in the cost of living adjustments and the Step increases that you get in your pay for living in those high cost of living area's such as NYC or DC etc..etc.. im pretty sure a GS-13 with leap living in NYC or DC will top out making more than 116,000 when you include the higher locality pay in the equation plus step increases. Keep in mind that for the "first few" steps you get them every year and they are sizable increases. What are your using when you say "GS13 top out with leap at 110,000?????
      I could be wrong but I don't think he meant top out as in GS13 step 10. Maybe he just meant starting out as a GS 13 step 1.

As I stated earlier a GS13 step 1 in my area (NY/Newark - 28.72% 2014) with LEAP is roughly 116k. GS13 step 10 at that locality and LEAP is roughly 150k. I think steps 1 to 4 you get after each year. Then Steps 4 to 7 you go up every two years. Then steps 7 to 10 every three years. For some people coming from other parts of the country that may not seem like a lot for this area, but as someone who grew up here I can tell you its plenty enough. Although they may have some sticker shock when they have to spend 400k on a house and not even have a half acre of land lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by FED/guy View Post
        "GS13 top out with LEAP and a decent locality (20% and higher) is close to 110k"

That is the sentence you are referring to I take it. I never said GS13 in NYC was equal to 110k.

What I said is the GS13 top out with LEAP (this may be where I confused you as I meant top out in grade before promotion not top out in step) and a decent locality is equal to 110k. I then clarified decent locality as being above 20% even though obviously NYC is around 28% I believe.

So yes, my sentence should have read "GS13 step 1 with LEAP and NYC locality is equal to $119,272." I was referring to localities of 20% or higher though, not just NYC. Sorry I should have clarified.

I wouldn't bank on Cost of Living Adjustments as I think I have gotten a 1% COA total in the last 4-5 yrs. No matter what anyone tells you making 8-10% more for living in NYC is NOT equal to the extra expenses you will incur at all.

I admit my argument is partially flawed. You can clearly live off that money in NYC and live well. I just think you can live much better elsewhere on the same salary. I never will be sold that a home you can buy for 350-400k with most likely a good chunk of land in (insert most midwest/southwest/or southern cities here) is worth 750k-1million in NYC area with half that land. Would rather make 10% less in a smaller place and save 50% on the value of my home. More free cash = more fun with your family. But everyone is different, thats just me.
        Last edited by DaShwstoppahbk; 04-03-2014, 05:05 PM.

Comment

• Got the notice I passed the exam... Ready to knock the pt portion out as soon as I hear something. The SA seemed optimistic that the process would move relatively fast.

Comment

• Congratulations.

Comment

• Originally posted by zackwest24 View Post
              Declined to take the test and proceed with the process today.

Spoke with a few fraud/forgery detectives on my PD and got similar responses.

Sure I won't be protecting Rand Paul in 2016, but I'll be making more and home every night

Good luck guys!

Smart man. Anyone who thinks they can live well on 119K in NYC is DREAMING. Maybe if you live 2 hours outside the city...average rents in NYC are about $3000/mo, and for that you'll get a crummy 1 bedroom apartment. And check out the NYC income tax - not even talking state or federal...CITY income tax. It's a joke.
              GOOD MOVE.

Comment

• Originally posted by SterlingArcher View Post
                Making more? Maybe the first few years. I don't know of a local PD that pays more than a GS-13 with LEAP, Locality, and the G ride. But if you do, let me know, I may want to apply.
                I know several locals who, with overtime, make more than a 13. And thats all LEAP is...built in overtime. You won't get any anymore since the sequester killed that whole deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by NEL006 View Post
                  I could be wrong but I don't think he meant top out as in GS13 step 10. Maybe he just meant starting out as a GS 13 step 1.

As I stated earlier a GS13 step 1 in my area (NY/Newark - 28.72% 2014) with LEAP is roughly 116k. GS13 step 10 at that locality and LEAP is roughly 150k. I think steps 1 to 4 you get after each year. Then Steps 4 to 7 you go up every two years. Then steps 7 to 10 every three years. For some people coming from other parts of the country that may not seem like a lot for this area, but as someone who grew up here I can tell you its plenty enough. Although they may have some sticker shock when they have to spend 400k on a house and not even have a half acre of land lol.
                  Working in Newark and working in NYC are two VERY different animals. The "Newark" office is actually physically located in Morristown, out in the burbs. You can live in a lot of less expensive areas in NJ and have a reasonable commute. The NYC office, on the other hand, is in Brooklyn. You can live out in NJ in a less expensive area and sit in traffic all morning and night. And in NJ you will (a) enjoy the nation's highest property taxes; and (b) have your TSP taxed as income...

Comment

• Originally posted by ajeezy View Post
                    Got the notice I passed the exam... Ready to knock the pt portion out as soon as I hear something. The SA seemed optimistic that the process would move relatively fast.
                    How long did it take you to get the email that you passed? The SAC on yesterday told us that we would know in 7 days.

Comment

• Good luck to all taking the SAEE, hopefully the 7 day wait goes by quickly!

I applied last summer, all steps done, fingers crossed, waiting for the call

-im not a vet (i know that question would be coming)

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevian View Post
                        Working in Newark and working in NYC are two VERY different animals. The "Newark" office is actually physically located in Morristown, out in the burbs. You can live in a lot of less expensive areas in NJ and have a reasonable commute. The NYC office, on the other hand, is in Brooklyn. You can live out in NJ in a less expensive area and sit in traffic all morning and night. And in NJ you will (a) enjoy the nation's highest property taxes; and (b) have your TSP taxed as income...
                        In my current Job I started out in our NYFO which is located in Queens. I did that commute for 4 years in my POV before I transferred to our Newark Field office which is located in West Orange, not to far from the USSS office in Morristown. Commuting to NY everyday can suck if you are traveling during rush hour, but it can work. I worked with guys that commuted from PA everyday to NY. For those of us born and raised in this area its not the end of the world. However, for people coming from other parts of the country I can see it being a nightmare. The property tax thing really doesn't phase me at all because its all I know. If I told you what my property taxes were for my condo you might have a heart attack. The TSP thing does suck but what can you do, maybe I'll retire out in PA.
                        Last edited by NEL006; 04-03-2014, 08:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Originally posted by ajeezy View Post
                          Got the notice I passed the exam... Ready to knock the pt portion out as soon as I hear something. The SA seemed optimistic that the process would move relatively fast.
                          Congratulations, good luck on the PT test.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevian View Post
                            I know several locals who, with overtime, make more than a 13. And thats all LEAP is...built in overtime. You won't get any anymore since the sequester killed that whole deal.
                            Trevian, to be clear, are you saying that OT will no longer be authorized for scheduled overtime? Even for the UNGA, campaign season, etc.?

Comment

• I took the test last Friday, pretty quick turnaround... Notice was via email.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jdub801 View Post
                                Checked off the home visit last night, it went really well. The agents were friendly and very helpful with questions. No definitive dates on anything, but they did mention that I will be going somewhere within my region. I have heard otherwise, but they were quite certain. I'll go anywhere!
                                Best to all.
                                Have you done your medical yet?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9466 users online. 326 members and 9140 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X