Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Secret Service SA hiring process

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by traylor_usaf View Post
    Exactly. Trying to make prognostications on your progress based on everchanging statuses, and comparing yours to anyone else, will only drive you crazy.

    I completed my polygraph last week and my USAJobs status still shows "Received" since 12/16, shortly after I received my COE. Further, my CareerConnector status has changed from "Congratulations! You have been tentatively selected..." to "Your application has been received".
    Yeah, I don't know why, but my CareerConnector never changes...I'm not too worried, I'm just taking everything in stride. I've done everything I can in this process, so if I get selected, AWESOME...If not, then there's nothing more I can do. Just gotta try and put it in the back of my mind unless I'm lucky enough to get that phone call someday soon.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by TrueBlue11B View Post
      Yeah, I don't know why, but my CareerConnector never changes...I'm not too worried, I'm just taking everything in stride. I've done everything I can in this process, so if I get selected, AWESOME...If not, then there's nothing more I can do. Just gotta try and put it in the back of my mind unless I'm lucky enough to get that phone call someday soon.
      There are a lot of moving parts. Hiring panel has to fill out a class, pick office locations to offer (based on needs), and figure out when a fletc class can start (based on funding). Hiring panel only meets every so often (which isn't that often...). Just go on with your life...

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Trevian View Post
        There are a lot of moving parts. Hiring panel has to fill out a class, pick office locations to offer (based on needs), and figure out when a fletc class can start (based on funding). Hiring panel only meets every so often (which isn't that often...). Just go on with your life...
        Speaking of locations to offer...is it a "here's your class date and here's your location" or "here's your class date and choose from x, y, and z locations"?

        I only ask because I was told, by the ASAIC during my SPI, that they had 17 of 17 agents in Denver and I wouldn't be able to stay here. Having to pay for any initial relocation, I am interested to know how they offer, or direct, locations.

        Thanks!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by traylor_usaf View Post
          Speaking of locations to offer...is it a "here's your class date and here's your location" or "here's your class date and choose from x, y, and z locations"?

          I only ask because I was told, by the ASAIC during my SPI, that they had 17 of 17 agents in Denver and I wouldn't be able to stay here. Having to pay for any initial relocation, I am interested to know how they offer, or direct, locations.

          Thanks!
          Some get offered just 1 office (take it or leave it), some get offered several. No way to predict. Makes no difference where you're hired out of - they will offer you wherever they feel like it. Getting to stay in a smaller office like Denver is virtually unheard of. Once in a while it happens for a new hire. But remember, even if you start there, eventually you'll have to leave...
          And to demonstrate their inflexibility - I was offered 3 offices (all of which were horrible choices). I threw out the name of another office that would've been a long commute but would've kept me from having to sell my home. They said no. I later found out that they offered that same office to at least one of my classmates, who turned it down and chose another. So clearly there was a slot there. But they wouldn't let me have it. Welcome to the Service! Enjoy!
          Last edited by Trevian; 02-06-2014, 05:10 PM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Trevian View Post
            Some get offered just 1 office (take it or leave it), some get offered several. No way to predict. Makes no difference where you're hired out of - they will offer you wherever they feel like it. Getting to stay in a smaller office like Denver is virtually unheard of. Once in a while it happens for a new hire. But remember, even if you start there, eventually you'll have to leave...
            And to demonstrate their inflexibility - I was offered 3 offices (all of which were horrible choices). I threw out the name of another office that would've been a long commute but would've kept me from having to sell my home. They said no. I later found out that they offered that same office to at least one of my classmates, who turned it down and chose another. So clearly there was a slot there. But they wouldn't let me have it. Welcome to the Service! Enjoy!
            Having been in the military for the entirety of my adult life, I understand the lack of logic and sense completely. I'm fine with eventually leaving the Colorado Springs/Denver area but we just moved into a house we had built, and had started the building process before applying for the June vacancy, only three months ago. Do I expect the USSS to consider or take that into consideration when offering me a location? Nope. Will I sell my new house and move if offered a different location? Absolutely.

            Are you aware of any precedent of getting to FLETC and swapping locations?
            Last edited by traylor_usaf; 02-06-2014, 05:34 PM.

            Comment


            • Are you aware of any precedent of getting to FLETC and swapping locations?[/QUOTE]

              Doesn't happen. Ever.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Trevian View Post
                Are you aware of any precedent of getting to FLETC and swapping locations?
                Doesn't happen. Ever.[/QUOTE]

                Trevian, any idea if they factor into consideration if you're a current federal employee, and keep current Feds in their present city? For example, I'm a current Fed in a MAJOR city, and I know my local USSS field office needs a bunch of bodies, and is very busy. So I'm just wondering if they would look to keep me right where I am, since I'm already a government employee here.... ORRRRRR maybe they don't care at all. What do you think?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by TrueBlue11B View Post
                  Doesn't happen. Ever.
                  Trevian, any idea if they factor into consideration if you're a current federal employee, and keep current Feds in their present city? For example, I'm a current Fed in a MAJOR city, and I know my local USSS field office needs a bunch of bodies, and is very busy. So I'm just wondering if they would look to keep me right where I am, since I'm already a government employee here.... ORRRRRR maybe they don't care at all. What do you think?[/QUOTE]

                  Your chances are always best at the largest offices, so if you're in a very large city and they need bodies there, then you have a good shot at staying...but that's regardless of whether you're already a fed there. My guess is that aspect of your situation doesn't factor into the decision...One caveat is if you're in D.C. The chances of you going to WFO are very low.

                  Comment


                  • Trevian, I like what you said about WFO. I'm a fed in the DC area as well, but want out. Hopefully down south like MIA. Is that field office considered large?

                    Comment


                    • Well, I'm out.

                      This week I got a COE from the IC and I've decided to pursue that instead. I was scheduled to take my poly at the WFO next week but I just told them to withdraw my package.

                      Extremely hard decision but one I spent a long time thinking about...hopefully I made the right choice. Just wanted to say good luck to everyone and thanks for all of the advice.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by JRM01 View Post
                        Well, I'm out.

                        This week I got a COE from the IC and I've decided to pursue that instead. I was scheduled to take my poly at the WFO next week but I just told them to withdraw my package.

                        Extremely hard decision but one I spent a long time thinking about...hopefully I made the right choice. Just wanted to say good luck to everyone and thanks for all of the advice.
                        Good luck to you. What is the IC?

                        Comment


                        • I would have continued in the process as any COE is not a guarantee. So whatever agency IC is... I can assure ALL COE are not a sure thing until you meet the steps forward. Wouldn't have hurt to continue would it?

                          Comment


                          • The Intel Community....won't say which part.

                            While it's true that any COE can be rescinded, they are not impacted by sequestration and the hiring process is similar to USSS SA in terms of the SF-86, poly, psych eval, etc. So if they disqualify me, USSS SA would have as well.

                            The reason why I didn't continue both is that they demand a lot of time off from work to attend security interviews, polys, medical exams, etc. I simply don't have enough leave to justify going through both processes at the same time. So I had to make a choice and after a lot of thought and careful consideration, I decided that the IC is a better fit for where I want to go in my professional life.

                            Comment


                            • Very well said my friend. Forgive my questioning, just thought I would have done both but you are right. Under those circumstances, sounds like you made the best decision for yourself and family. Good luck to you going forward.

                              Originally posted by JRM01 View Post
                              The Intel Community....won't say which part.

                              While it's true that any COE can be rescinded, they are not impacted by sequestration and the hiring process is similar to USSS SA in terms of the SF-86, poly, psych eval, etc. So if they disqualify me, USSS SA would have as well.

                              The reason why I didn't continue both is that they demand a lot of time off from work to attend security interviews, polys, medical exams, etc. I simply don't have enough leave to justify going through both processes at the same time. So I had to make a choice and after a lot of thought and careful consideration, I decided that the IC is a better fit for where I want to go in my professional life.

                              Comment


                              • Are you getting a CI or lifestyle poly? If you have any questions on Intel stuff there are a few of us on here tht would be happy to answer the questions that we can.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 5207 users online. 313 members and 4894 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X