Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe that at least gives you an insight into myself. My first question is very general in nature. What are the chances of getting accepted? Are they very slim with no law enforcement background? Thanks in advance to everyone.[/QUOTE]

Well welcome to a very intense journey that will test your patience.
    First you do not need law enforcement experience to be a canidate for SA.\
    Information systems,telecom,and banking experience are also needed skills currently. I would say with your background you will get an one on one interview and they will schedule you to take the TEA.If you pass the TEA, you will be interviewed by a 3 person panel. Pass the panel you will be given poly and medical. Pass that then your Background investigation begans. If all checks out, you wait to hear from DC selection hiring panel. Be prepared for at least a minimum of 6 months for this process. Start training now! dont let up and good luck.

P.S.
    Make sure you try to read and know as much about the secret service. There are a few books out there and a national geographic video called inside the secret service. You can see videeo online at JOOST. This will give you a better understanding of what the life is like as a SA. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU DO THIS.
    Last edited by WARGOAT; 11-07-2008, 10:23 AM.

Comment

• Well, just got the call for my polygraph on Nov 13th, a day before my physical on the 14th!! They said it could take anywhere from 3 - 6 hours! I have taken a poly before about 10 yrs ago. That seems like a long time to be hooked up to a machine...
      I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

• Originally posted by WARGOAT View Post
        P.S.
        Make sure you try to read and know as much about the secret service. There are a few books out there and a national geographic video called inside the secret service. You can see videeo online at JOOST. This will give you a better understanding of what the life is like as a SA. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU DO THIS.
        Wargoat, I watched the National Geographic video last week. That was what finally pushed me towards hitting the send button the email to the USSS. What books do you recommend? I just ordered To Be a U.S. Secret Service Agent by Henry Holden, so it should be here within the week.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bham SA Hopeful View Post
          Wargoat, I watched the National Geographic video last week. That was what finally pushed me towards hitting the send button the email to the USSS. What books do you recommend? I just ordered To Be a U.S. Secret Service Agent by Henry Holden, so it should be here within the week.
          I recommed you get both these books and you also need to start prepping for the TEA. ARCO book is the best book don't use any other. Drill on it now

Standing Next to History: An Agent's Life Inside the Secret Service by Joseph Petro. This is a must read, you will gain a very in depth look as to what will be expected.

The Secret Service: The Hidden History of an Engimatic Agency (Paperback)
          by Philip H. Melanson
          Covers the history of the service and some interesting perspectives by the author.

Got the book you just ordered, its okay lots of pictures and stuff. Some decent info.

Also make sure you study the website as well.Lots of information there.
          Last edited by WARGOAT; 11-07-2008, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Good luck to you on the process.

As some have already stated, you don't need LE experience to get hired. A number of different experienced professionals get hired IAW all my research.

Some advice I will give other than the obvious "get in shape" is don't put all your eggs in one basket.

About 6 months ago I applied with several agencies that fit my criteria. The FBI didn't invite me to phase II hiring panel, the FAM filled up before I interviewed, ICE wasn't actively recruiting at the time.

At that pont I didn't expect anything to come out of this USSS process either but I got through the initial interview, then the TEA, then the Panel interview, then the physical and I'm scheduled for the poly on the 19th.

I've just been trucking along.

All of the mentioned agencies have a need for your skills btw so I wouldn't just apply with only the USSS.

P.s. Now get in shape you!!!!! If you need any advice on that dept I'll be glad to help you out. I got that one covered thankfully.

Comment

• Advice on getting in shape would be great. Right now I am trying to build up to running a 5K 3 or 4 times a week. As of right now I run about a mile 3 or 4 times a week and do push ups and sit ups seven days a week.

Comment

• Also, can someone tell me about the TEA? I quite honestly know nothing about it. I am a good test taker. The only thing that ever catches me on tests like this is the time. I am WAY to analytical.

Comment

Advice on getting in shape would be great. Right now I am trying to build up to running a 5K 3 or 4 times a week. As of right now I run about a mile 3 or 4 times a week and do push ups and sit ups seven days a week.
                  Add chinups (reverse grip) to your routine, you should be able to do about 8-9 if you're a male under 30. Also, alternate between distance running and speed. Run 3-4 miles at your own pace twice a week and run an 11:30 1.5 mile twice a week, running a total of 4 times each week. On your non-running days, do some other cardio (swimming, bike, elliptical, etc). Also, I wouldn't do the pushups/pullups/situps 7 days a week, give yourself rest days in between for your muscle fibers to heal otherwise you may end up with an injury. Two days on, one off for weight training is best and cardio 6x a week is great with one complete rest day each week (no cardio or weights).

As far as prep for the TEA, get the Arco book (look on Amazon), that's the best way to prepare. There are some fairly challenging math questions on the exam, I found, but the verbal isn't easy either. It's much easier to improve your math score though. Good luck.

Comment

Advice on getting in shape would be great. Right now I am trying to build up to running a 5K 3 or 4 times a week. As of right now I run about a mile 3 or 4 times a week and do push ups and sit ups seven days a week.
                    Me personally, I do cardio twice a week and strength training 3.

MWF, strength traning. Any routine will do. As long as it involves pullups or chinups. You can find a good one on Bodybuilding.com

As far as cardio goes, you should alternate speed v. endurance work.

On speed days I will find a track or someother flat ground and do the following.

2 minutes rest/jog
                    2 minutes at 75% sprint
                    2 mnutes rest/jog
                    30 seconds all out sprint
                    2 minutes rest/jog
                    400 meters at your target 1.5 mile speed
                    2 minutes rest/jog
                    800 meters at target 1.5 mile speed
                    cool down

Or you can mix it up however you like. Bottom line is push yourself and alternate your intensity levels. Not only will this build speed but you will shed fat like it's a cheap suit.

On distance days I will set a pace that is approximately 90% of my target 1.5 mile speed and go between 3 and 5 miles depending on how much time I have.

My personal 1.5 mile goal speed is 10:30.

So I will run 3 miles in about 23:15

Comment

• I passed the TEA test but failed the panel interview a year ago. Can I retake the panel interview?

BPA
                      test: 04/08
                      Results: Passed - 04/08
                      COE Received - 05/08
                      Medical/PFT: Passed 06/08
                      Panel: 07/08: Passed
                      BI: ?..
                      CBPO
                      test: 03/08
                      COE Received: 06/08
                      Medical/PFT: Passed 07/08
                      VBT: Passed 07/08
                      BI: ???
                      FBI
                      Phase I: 05/08
                      Results: Passed 05/08
                      Language test (w/l): Passed 06/08
                      Language test (o): Passed 07/08
                      Panel: 10/08: ???
                      PFT: 11/08: ???
                      USSS
                      TEA test: 08/07
                      Panel: 02/08

Comment

• Originally posted by jumbojack View Post
                        I passed the TEA test but failed the panel interview a year ago. Can I retake the panel interview?
                        If it was a year ago, I would definitely re-apply.

Comment

• Originally posted by FutureAgent001 View Post
                          If it was a year ago, I would definitely re-apply.
                          Does that mean taking the tea test again?... Could i just call and schedule a new interview?.. I did not have an AC and the admin people were not very helpful either

BPA
                          test: 04/08
                          COE Received - 05/08
                          Medical/PFT: Passed 06/08
                          Panel: 07/08: Passed
                          BI: ?..
                          CBPO
                          test: 03/08
                          COE Received: 06/08
                          Medical/PFT: Passed 07/08
                          VBT: Passed 07/08
                          BI: ???
                          FBI
                          Phase I: 05/08
                          Results: Passed 05/08
                          Language test (w/l): Passed 06/08
                          Language test (o): Passed 07/08
                          Panel: 10/08: ???
                          PFT: 11/08: ???
                          USSS
                          TEA test: 08/07
                          Panel: 02/08

Comment

Does that mean taking the tea test again?... Could i just call and schedule a new interview?.. I did not have an AC and the admin people were not very helpful either
                            Not sure, they may use your old score. Just fill out the application again and start from scratch and send it in. You'll find out soon enough

Comment

I passed the TEA test but failed the panel interview a year ago. Can I retake the panel interview?
                              I think the better question is what has changed in your professional life that will make you a better candidate.

I wouldn't go in with basically the same experience and ed. as I had last time.

JMO

Comment

• Originally posted by England View Post
                                I think the better question is what has changed in your professional life that will make you a better candidate.

I wouldn't go in with basically the same experience and ed. as I had last time.

JMO
                                That's definitely a good point; I guess I was just thinking along the lines of perhaps he just had a bad interview day or something like that. It would be really helpful if he could find out why he didn't clear the panel, but that's probably impossible to find out.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11655 users online. 469 members and 11186 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X