Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice, I had to get the ol' glasses out to read the fine print.

Thanks gents,

You guys are pretty sharp when it comes to getting info
    The only easy day was yesterday. - BUDS Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by Det_sje View Post
      For the guys on this forum, is there any non-vets that are moving along in the process.

For the usss agents that are on this forum is the next anopening going to be geared toward veterans or both.
      I am a non-vet and moving along nicely with little to no hick ups. However, I have to say that my local field office is amazing to work with. Everyone from admins to the SAC are extremely helpful and go out of their way to make things go smoothly. I'm impressed with people here.

Comment

• Originally posted by USSS_applicant View Post
        I am a non-vet and moving along nicely with little to no hick ups. However, I have to say that my local field office is amazing to work with. Everyone from admins to the SAC are extremely helpful and go out of their way to make things go smoothly. I'm impressed with people here.
        What is Ur background if you don't mind me asking? I want to make sure I have a fighting chance when I apply this round.

Comment

For the guys on this forum, is there any non-vets that are moving along in the process.
          I processed out of a smaller office and most of the others were vets. My guess is my Master's degree is the only thing that made me competitive enough to make the cut. Although I read on this forum where some LEO's qualified without even a Bachelor's degree, so my guess may not be correct.
          Last edited by divinefalcon; 01-25-2014, 01:03 PM.
          View snapshot of public entry-level 1811 positions here:
          http://GS-1811.appspot.com

Comment

• Originally posted by divinefalcon View Post
            I processed out of a smaller office and most of the others were vets. My guess is my Master's degree is the only thing that made me competitive enough to make the cut. Although I read on this forum where some LEO's qualified without even a Bachelor's degree, so my guess may not be correct.

That's crazy, I had my two year degree when I applied in June 13 and I didn't get referred. I have my 4 year now and hoping I get referred.

Comment

• Haven't posted in a few weeks but have poly scheduled for the 29th. Best of luck to those continuing on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Echo_Romeo_Oscar View Post
                Haven't posted in a few weeks but have poly scheduled for the 29th. Best of luck to those continuing on.
                When did you have your SI? I assume the polygrapher called you directly to schedule? Thanks ERO!

Comment

What is Ur background if you don't mind me asking? I want to make sure I have a fighting chance when I apply this round.
                  Non-vet processing out of TX. No military experience or LE experience. Background, speak three languages fluently and have an IT degree with several industry IT certifications to go with degree.

Comment

• If you meet the minimum qualifications that they post in the announcement, you have a fighting chance. I'm always amused reading these posts about all the various degrees, language skills, and experience. None of that is going to guarantee you a spot, and if you meet the minimum qualifications you have a chance, even if there is someone more qualified than you ON PAPER. I work with guys/gals with very impressive backgrounds, others who were hired right out of college with no work experience whatsoever, and others with work experience that has absolutely nothing to do with our agency mission or law enforcement in general. I've said it before in an effort to help you guys focus on more important things - stop guessing at whether you're qualified. It's a complete waste of mental energy, I promise you. If you qualify on paper, you have a chance, and there is no formula for selecting people such that someone with a more advanced degree or more years of work experience would be selected over you. They look at the total package.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevian View Post
                      If you meet the minimum qualifications that they post in the announcement, you have a fighting chance. I'm always amused reading these posts about all the various degrees, language skills, and experience. None of that is going to guarantee you a spot, and if you meet the minimum qualifications you have a chance, even if there is someone more qualified than you ON PAPER. I work with guys/gals with very impressive backgrounds, others who were hired right out of college with no work experience whatsoever, and others with work experience that has absolutely nothing to do with our agency mission or law enforcement in general. I've said it before in an effort to help you guys focus on more important things - stop guessing at whether you're qualified. It's a complete waste of mental energy, I promise you. If you qualify on paper, you have a chance, and there is no formula for selecting people such that someone with a more advanced degree or more years of work experience would be selected over you. They look at the total package.

I second what Trevian said. I can tell you what credentials I have, but reflecting back on the process - none of it mattered. For example, I speak one of the languages that is considered to be "hot"; however, I was not asked about it, was not tested and never mentioned it during the SPI. Same goes for the degree and work experience, besides them looking at the resume, I don't think any of it matters.

If you meet qualifications, you have a fair shot. Look at it this way - they're trying to see if you're someone they can count on and spend 10 hrs in the same car on a surveillance. If I have to spend countless hours with you, I personally won't care what languages you speak and what degrees you have.

Who knows, I might be completely wrong, but that's the feeling I've got.

Comment

• Originally posted by USSS_applicant View Post
                        I second what Trevian said. I can tell you what credentials I have, but reflecting back on the process - none of it mattered. For example, I speak one of the languages that is considered to be "hot"; however, I was not asked about it, was not tested and never mentioned it during the SPI. Same goes for the degree and work experience, besides them looking at the resume, I don't think any of it matters.

If you meet qualifications, you have a fair shot. Look at it this way - they're trying to see if you're someone they can count on and spend 10 hrs in the same car on a surveillance. If I have to spend countless hours with you, I personally won't care what languages you speak and what degrees you have.

Who knows, I might be completely wrong, but that's the feeling I've got.
                        You're absolutely right. The Service is not the CIA. Speaking 6 languages is meaningless...you're not going to be in Afghanistan infiltrating the local villages. You'll work white collar cases and you'll work protection assignments, both of which simply require some common sense, some people skills, and attention to detail. And the ability to sit/stand around for long periods of time.

Comment

• Originally posted by EOD View Post
                          When did you have your SI? I assume the polygrapher called you directly to schedule? Thanks ERO!
                          Had my SI on the 8th, polygrapher called on the 17th and scheduled for 29th.
                          Last edited by Echo_Romeo_Oscar; 01-26-2014, 04:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Echo_Romeo_Oscar View Post
                            Had my SI on the 8th, polygrapher called on the 17th and scheduled for 29th.
                            Thanks brother! Good luck on the poly!

Comment

For the usss agents that are on this forum is the next anopening going to be geared toward veterans or both.
                              Det_sje, I am a candidate moving forward with the process, currently waiting on my poly to be scheduled and I am a non-vet. I actually have no prior military experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jdub801 View Post
                                I haven't tested my vision lately, but I think I may be near 20/70. I don't wear glasses or contacts, I can see just fine. I'm also willing to do LASIK. Would 20/70 eliminate me from the process? Does USSS give waivers or extensions to those who are this close to the 20/60 requirement?
                                I think there is a six month wait required after LASIK for USSS to allow adequate healing since there is a risk of re-opening of the corneal flap due to trauma.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8374 users online. 323 members and 8051 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X