Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Secret Service SA hiring process

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by pcs258
    hi forum.

    I had a question, on the application. One of the KSA's is for firearm knowledge? What if you never fired a handgun? (Ie you live in a state like NY where you cant even touch a firearm without a permit when you are 21). would this significantly hurt an applicant?

    thanks in advance for your replies
    I agree with Wargoat; it's an advantage for them to train you from scratch since you haven't developed any bad habits. As long as you don't express that you have something against using firearms and you show that you have an interest in learning, you're fine.

    Comment


    • I am a first time poster. I have been following this forum for well over a year. I have been in the process for 1 year and 7 months. I was contacted for some follow up information (requested by personnel) last week by the ASAC of my local field office. I believe that the phones are going to start ringing anytime now. Hang in there!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by WARGOAT View Post
        TO answer your question NO

        My FO SAIC who interviewed me said its better that applicants have never fired a weapon. Its easier to teach someone the secret service way of shooting that way.
        Which brings up the interesting question as to why it's a KSA...

        Don't get me wrong here, I agree that it's best to be professionally taught how to use a firearm. And I can see the advantage of have a "clean slate" when training people how to fire, i.e. lack of bad habits.

        However I've been wondering why that's a KSA to begin with. Aren't KSA's graded? Don't they make up part of your score as an applicant? So if you prefer to have applicants that don't have firearm's experience, why ask for it?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by GeoAFSFS View Post
          Which brings up the interesting question as to why it's a KSA...

          Don't get me wrong here, I agree that it's best to be professionally taught how to use a firearm. And I can see the advantage of have a "clean slate" when training people how to fire, i.e. lack of bad habits.

          However I've been wondering why that's a KSA to begin with. Aren't KSA's graded? Don't they make up part of your score as an applicant? So if you prefer to have applicants that don't have firearm's experience, why ask for it?
          As the term implies, the Service is looking to find out what "Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities" you bring to the table. They aren't "graded", but they do help the evaluator get an idea of how qualified an applicant is for the position. BTW, it's not "prefered" that applicants have no firearms experience, it's prefered they haven't developed any bad habits through their lack of training / experience with firearms. A number of our agents are former local law enforcement officers or former military, and their firearms experience is no issue whatsoever.
          "...the complacency of fools will destroy them." Proverbs 1:32

          Comment


          • Originally posted by federale083 View Post
            As the term implies, the Service is looking to find out what "Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities" you bring to the table. They aren't "graded", but they do help the evaluator get an idea of how qualified an applicant is for the position. BTW, it's not "prefered" that applicants have no firearms experience, it's prefered they haven't developed any bad habits through their lack of training / experience with firearms. A number of our agents are former local law enforcement officers or former military, and their firearms experience is no issue whatsoever.
            OK that makes a lot more sense, thanks for the clarification.

            Comment


            • can anyone give me an idea of what the initial interview consists of? i got some information from the generated email but i am sure someone has some better info for me. just trying to get an idea of what to expect/how long it will be/etc? thanks for the info.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by pilt247 View Post
                can anyone give me an idea of what the initial interview consists of? i got some information from the generated email but i am sure someone has some better info for me. just trying to get an idea of what to expect/how long it will be/etc? thanks for the info.
                Mine was fairly basic, like the average job interview. I'm sure this varies depending on the interview. I have also heard of some FO's not doing initial interviews?? In any case, I had to speak a bit about my background, past work experience, education, etc. Just gave more details about what was already on paper. I was also asked about why I want the job, if I understood the time commitment/what it entails, what my strongest personal qualities are, and why I feel I am a good candidate. Hope that helps.

                Comment


                • Had my whiz quiz today - WFO made the call and told me they are trying to get me done in time for the hiring panel on Thursday.

                  Comment


                  • I wonder if this means that they will be making calls from the Oct. 2nd panel tomorrow? I sure hope so.

                    Comment


                    • ************************************************** **

                      ************************************************** **
                      Last edited by forresde1; 02-20-2009, 10:46 AM. Reason: delete

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by forresde1 View Post
                        I was called today and I am going to do my pre employ drug screen tomorrow at a local hospital.
                        I have received conflicting statements.
                        One individual stated that everything was going well and I should expect to hear from them soon and that there may have been some type of panel that had met.

                        Another says, that there hasn't been a hiring panel for a while so there should be one soon.

                        Nobody that I've talked to knows when exactly to expect a hiring panel but they don't seem to think that one has recently convened.

                        I thought I had done my pre employ drug screen during the medical. I had at that time submitted to some kind of urine sampling. Obviously this was some type of health check not a drug screen. At any rate, I'm sure that there will be a panel soon. The personnel official indicated that the results need to be in by this Friday.

                        The hiring process has no set order as it seems to vary to some degree from one applicant to another. It is also the most secretive operation that the service oversees.

                        There is only one certainty: The process will eventually end and will result in a hire or a thin letter. We can only hope for the former.


                        Good luck to all those in the process.
                        I agree, it is quite the secretive operation!!

                        There have been a handful of people on this forum and others who have heard about hiring panels on 10/2 and 10/16 and that the calls for the 10/2 one have not gone out yet. I'm not sure what to think except that it seems like a panel will (or has met) at some point this month.

                        As far as your drug screen, I think most people had the same experience as you: urine sample during the medical and during a separate drug screen (during or after the BI).

                        Good luck!

                        Comment


                        • I was with an agent yesterday he said the panel did meet on the 10-2 he spoke directly to the agent in charge of recruiting, so its confirmed. When the panel meets they dont just hire that day. It takes weeks for them to start making calls.

                          Comment


                          • Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                            Last edited by OSU; 02-19-2009, 01:18 PM.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by OSU View Post
                              Besides mcall80, did anyone get a call from someone saying "your package is done and you will be on the next board"? I would think that common courtesy would clear up some confusion/anxiety.
                              Not me, I'm celebrating 5 months post the panel interview without even knowing whether I passed or not.

                              Its okay, I don't have a life and I really appreciate having to wait this long [/Sarcasm]

                              Comment


                              • This post has been deleted
                                Last edited by swanny; 01-11-2009, 11:05 AM.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 7878 users online. 444 members and 7434 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X