Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the next USSS SA vacancy announcement still set to come out in spring?

Comment

• Here are all of my eggs.....
      ______
      /______\
      |o o o o o|
      |ooooooo|
      |o_o_o_o|

{Note: picture depicts an awesome basket}

@ J103- I say a spring vacancy largely depends on the Budget decision come 3/27/13
      Last edited by Greek57; 03-07-2013, 11:29 AM. Reason: How can a person edit something and only have one reason, there should be many reasons to edit. None of which I will share with you. JK, I messed up my picture, so i wanted it to look good for you guy

Comment

• Gotcha. Thanks Greek. Nice picture

Comment

• I heard from my background investigator today who gave me an update. The sequestration has stopped everything. He was 100% that noone would be hired in March. The good news was that headquarters received all my paperwork for the 2nd time regarding the updated background. He said he would call me next month. There is a vote coming on March 23 that could help. As for now their budget is being cut by 105 million. They may have to furlough. Those of us on the shelf, we may have applied at the worst possible time in the history of the service. Stay positive...this may be happening to us for a reason...haha...just not sure of the reason!

Comment

• I met my BI today who emphasized the same information as Broncos BI as far as budget cuts and the sequester definitely not helping. He also stated another six month extension of the federal budget was passed yesterday (which I didn't see on the news) that is good til Sept 31 and he added that the budget cuts really aren't that extreme when you look at the big picture (1% cut) but because of the sequester it is hard to justify hiring folks. The one constant is the retiring of current agents and the strain that is put on personel after they leave. At some point (hopefully this year) there will be a need to hire a class of 24 agents to help counter the turnover.

I asked him, for those of us on the shelf, how long our applications are good for and he said indefinitely and that the USSS will continue to update our backgrounds when needed as long as we are still interested in being hired.

Something else he told me i found comforting to know was in regard to the number of applicants on the shelf. I dont want to appear nieve but his answer was the first confident response I have received in that regard. I was told that in October the agency was moving forward with an attempt to have two SA classes and two UD classes so they held onto the top 100 applicants (half UD, half SA) that were on the shelf for updating in preparation for these classes. Now Sequester so they are still hoping for one class each this year. He greatly emphasized how important it is to still be on the shelf at this point. So in saying all that I gathered that for those of us on the shelf we will eventually be offered a job it's just a matter of time. But Bronco is right this has got to be the worst time to try and get a 1811 job.
            Keep the faith!

Comment

• Also, I agree with you Greek and my basket looks just like yours.

Comment

• Any word about anything or is everything on hold until March 27th?

Comment

• So, anyone have any news. I found this listed below:

(Reference White House Tours)

"The U.S. Secret Service told CNN that the plan will help the agency save $74,000 per week – or $2 million over the next seven months, which is the scheduled length of the ongoing forced budget cuts. That total covers the cost of paying 37 uniformed officers $50 an hour for 40 hours a week to secure the tour's route through the East Wing.

But that's just a fraction of the $84 million the Secret Service needs to cut from its $1.6 billion budget, according to the Office of Management and Budget. The officers normally assigned to the tours will be reassigned to other duties at the White House."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...omment-page-1/

Comment

• THis may mean good news..The background checks that were put on hold have begun again. So Im guessing since the passing of the Continuing Resolution they are moving towards getting a class this year.. Hopefully

Comment

• @ Greek57 - (Reference White House Tours)

I'm not trying to be funny guys, but who the hell makes $50/per hour giving White House tours in the East Wing? Someone please educate me, I haven't seen this vacancy yet! I thought USSS-UD starting pay was around 50k w/ high school diploma? Does CNN have their facts wrong? What's the journeyman level for the UD? I'm a FED employee and I don't make that much, even if you add time-in-half to my pay. The GS pay scale caps OT pay at $40/per hr.

I guess since this is a blog I should question its validity.
                      Last edited by TopGun87; 04-02-2013, 05:09 PM.
                      The only easy day was yesterday. - BUDS Instructor

Comment

• Steel, they have been working on mine and just finished up with it. Good at go. More good news is FLETCE hasn't cancelled classes. According to the Marshal and DEA threads they are still anticipating classes starting in May. If anything attrition will start taking its tole and they will find the money for at least one class.

Comment

• Topgun, the $50 an hour is probably an inflated government rate that includes hourly pay, plus overtime, plus uniform allowance and the projected retirement in 20 years for the officers. In other words, not at all real, but not a lie either.

it's the same way of thinking when the government decides to outsource security gate watch to civilian contractor because someone did the math and decided that it is cheaper to pay a civilian contractor company millions of dollars for x amount of years because if you calculate the numbers of how much military E-5 makes a day, and the training they receive (in the thousands of dollars) and the health insurance, and the retirement check, it makes sense. Not included is of course the fact that many military didn't stay until retirement, but that's another story.

Moral of this story though is that don't pay attention to how the gov calculates money and benefits

Sorry for the side tracking of this thread, hopefully an announcement will be out soon.

Comment

• <<>><<>><<>><<>>
                            Last edited by Greek57; 06-23-2013, 04:55 PM.

Comment

• Any news on the upcoming spring announcement?

Comment

• From what I'm hearing, FY14 looks worse than FY13 . . . any other news?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13750 users online. 394 members and 13356 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X