300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by soflafed View Post
    Regarding the recent discussion on Masters degrees etc......
    The federal government, in particular USSS, hires way too many of you grad students without any LE experience in my honest opinion. Our agency is plagued by folks who have no clue whats it's like to work a LE gig. These badge carrying college kids are fine at "office" work but, get one of them out on the street on an interview and they trip all over themselves because they absolutely have no idea how to handle themselves. In addition, now that they're a big bad federal agent, some of these agents carry themselves in an arrogant manner which really ****es off local LE. All the fed agencies hire folks with no experience. Seems FBI and USSS are the worst. I know you gotta get your start somewhere. I believe everyone should have either prior LE or military experience before any fed LE gig. It's a common opinion too among the working agents in my agency (except for the supervisors who have no prior experience) So Please, if you are hired, and an agent asks what you did prior, remember, humility goes a long way.
    Interesting observation. I know back when I was a deputy sheriff, I noticed a certain "better than thou" attitude coming from the few FBI agents that I met. The few I have met while working for the BOP have not been any better. They seemed particularly annoyed at having to investigate crimes that take place in a prison, as though the crimes are irrelevant or something.
    What is Perseverance?
    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• nm deleted
      Last edited by G46; 01-31-2011, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• P
        Originally posted by Carpe Dentum View Post
        I'm going to disagree with that one (A LOT). I have been around FLE for a few years, I have been on hiring panels, and I have graduate degrees. Saying that a Masters in CJ (as opposed to an MBA or accounting degree) will in some way reduce your chance of getting an interview is incorrect and bordering on ridiculous. The majority of applicants won't have a graduate degree, so getting a graduate degree is always a good thing. You are probably right that a masters in CJ won't get you a second look if you are applying to fortune 100 or fortune 500 management positions. But, let's be realistic. This is LE, so a CJ degree is valuable, although probably won't have the specialization points that will help if you are applying to an agency that investigates a bunch of finance related crimes. Don't think for one second that the US Marshals or the ATF won't give you a second look because you have a CJ degree instead of some finance/accounting/business degree. It goes like this: "Does the applicant have a graduate degree... any graduate degree?" "He does? Ok, check that box..."
        However, I do agree that if you want a degree that applies to lots of different areas, go ahead and get an MBA. Of course, that is unless you want to do social work or be a probation officer. In that case, it is just as useless/usefull as a CJ degree. It all depends on what you want to do with the degree. But, don't think for one second that you will be overlooked by most agencies because you have a CJ degree (unless you are applying to IRS or trying for the FBI accounting critical skill). Remember, an MBA is a generalist degree as well and hiring panels know that.
        I don't want to get off topic of this with you and the other guy, because it is starting to sound like justification of degrees. We can agree to disagree.

Comment

• Originally posted by cardeea View Post
          P

I don't want to get off topic of this with you and the other guy, because it is starting to sound like justification of degrees. We can agree to disagree.
          I shouldn't have fired away like that. We do disagree (and we probably always will on this topic), but I could have posted that a little more politely. Sorry about that.

Comment

• ^^ No issues here big guy. I like to hear from confident individuals, remember I been in management for over a decade (I have thick skin so stuff bounces right off). We are cool!

Comment

• Can anyone comment regarding the morale in the USSS?

I have heard stories about agents wanting to fill positions in other cities to be closer to family, only to be denied and the position be filled by someone who is new or doesn't want it.

I have also heard the protective details have been cut down and people are working harder and longer hours, and there is a large amount of turnover.

Comment

• {_}|{_}|{_}|{_}
                Last edited by Greek57; 09-24-2012, 01:42 PM.

Comment

• A masters may, or may not, be a masters in the SS. But, try getting into FBI when you do not qualify under one of the entry programs, or try getting into IRS CI without any accounting credits. If you are going to get a masters, and you can stomach it, you may as well get one in a field that is going to open all of the doors.

As for needing LE or military experience before going Fed. On the job training is good enough for every other field, including doctors and lawyers, and it is also good enough for the Fed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greek57 View Post
                    I have heard this is all true and all 'new hire' protection details in 2012 will work mids standing only in dark muggy or freezing Alleys. So all USSS recruits should withdrawl their apps. Myself, Kansan, jlac, blaw and that jarhead who got another job offer will keep our apps with the service so you don't have to worry about who will fill 2011 classes.
                    LOL

In all honesty, I was sure to ask the agents I have spoken with about these very issues. The thing they want to do is make sure that candidates know what they are getting into before they are hired. If you accept the sometimes difficult parts of the job, it can be a great career. The same could be said about any job, there will be good and bad parts. Depending on who you ask, the bad can outweigh the good or the good could outweigh the bad.

For me personally though, the thought of spending the next 20 years at my current job is enough to make me more than willing to go with the USSS. This is one job where the bad definitely outweighs the good.

P.s.
                    A masters is a masters...The FBI gets to be that way.... accounting is cool if you don't like numbers....and the grass is always greener somewhere else.

Just my $.02
                    What is Perseverance?
                    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• Has anyone read Ronald Kessler's "Inside the President Secret Service"? It doesn't cast a very good light on USSS. However, there are two sides to every story. I was just wondering if there are any currect agents or people in the know here that could confirm or deny the validity of the accounts in the book.

Comment

• Message deleted
                        Last edited by Blue Steel; 06-12-2011, 05:59 PM.

Comment

• Nothing beats experience; fortunately for me I have found a MBA Prgram that speicalizes in Public Safety and Law Enforcement. Now the whole on-the job training thing is cool too, but Im sure my fellow LE brothers who have worked the streets will tell you that one-day or even your first day is all you need to get a real taste of the street life...reality will bite you hard in a split second and their aint a degree in america that can prepare you for that...!

Comment

• Originally posted by cirque20 View Post
                            ...reality will bite you hard in a split second...!
                            Its called a .223 round...

Comment

Last edited by m3ticulous; 11-24-2010, 05:08 AM.

Comment

• Anyone hear anything about a FLETC class for December? It's been really quiet lately.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13000 users online. 484 members and 12516 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X