300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original message deleted
    Last edited by morecowbell; 03-04-2011, 06:04 PM.

Comment

• USSS SA

TEA-03/10
      Initial-5/10
      Panel-6/10
      Poly-9/10
      Poly-10/10
      Awaiting Physical

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue Steel View Post
        Thanks for the info! I have not lost any sleep over it but I was curious. I hope everything works out for you because I know that you have been waiting on the call for sometime.
        Just give a few more months. Mine took about 5 months which appears to be the norm I think. Also, with the holidays coming, you could be looking at February or they could try to rush you before than. Either way try not to even think about it and before you know it, it will come.

Comment

• Hello all,

This is my first post on Officer.com. First off, I would like to thank everyone for all of the great info and wish everyone luck that is progressing in the process. I have quite a ways to go. I am a patrol officer in GA and about to start my masters in Criminal Justice from a Top 3 school. The way I figure, I have at least 1-1.5 years before even applying. All of the information here will help me tremendously. So, by the time I apply, I will have an advanced degree and about 4 years of road experience. For everyone in the process or about to begin the process, how is everyone keeping in shape? Is there a pt test part of the process? What are the aspects that someone should focus on while getting ready for the process or training? Thanks for the info. Good luck to everyone!

Comment

• Originally posted by CheeseburgerEdd View Post
            Hello all,

This is my first post on Officer.com. First off, I would like to thank everyone for all of the great info and wish everyone luck that is progressing in the process. I have quite a ways to go. I am a patrol officer in GA and about to start my masters in Criminal Justice from a Top 3 school. The way I figure, I have at least 1-1.5 years before even applying. All of the information here will help me tremendously. So, by the time I apply, I will have an advanced degree and about 4 years of road experience. For everyone in the process or about to begin the process, how is everyone keeping in shape? Is there a pt test part of the process? What are the aspects that someone should focus on while getting ready for the process or training? Thanks for the info. Good luck to everyone!
            As long as it takes to make it through the entire process, I encourage you to apply as soon as possible. It is likely that you could earn your masters degree long before you are hired.

I personally am a fitness junkie. I work out 5-6 days a week including lifting weights, and running. There is no pt test in the hiring process however, your PT is tested before you head to fletc, and you had better be in shape at that point.
            What is Perseverance?
            -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
            -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
            -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• Thank you for the advice. I'm not doubting you whatsoever, but if they wanted a specialized degree like that, wouldn't they post what they wanted similar to the FBI? Seems that Criminal Justice is the catchall? Anyone here had a problem with USSS with a M.S. in CrimJustice?

Comment

• I would also recommend an accounting degree. I don't know about the SS, but this degree appears to be in demand by many federal law enforcement agencies. A criminal justice degree will not set you apart like an accounting degree.

Comment

• Pass on the MS in Criminal Justice. I have a BS in CJ and found out how non-competitive it was. Went back to school and got a second degree in accounting. In my opinion, an accounting degree is by far more verse, needed, desired, sought after, and competitive than a CJ degree. Another thing to think about what an accounting degree can achieve for you also: it covers the majority of requirements for certifications i.e. CPA, CFE, CMA, etc. you get the point. Unless you want to be a teacher in CJ, diversify and get something that is more relevant. Worse case scenario, if you don't get on anywhere, your degree in accounting can get you a job doing significantly more than a MS in CJ. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck.

Comment

Thank you for the advice. I'm not doubting you whatsoever, but if they wanted a specialized degree like that, wouldn't they post what they wanted similar to the FBI? Seems that Criminal Justice is the catchall? Anyone here had a problem with USSS with a M.S. in CrimJustice?
                    CheeseburgerEdd,

I have no FLEO, local LEO, or Fed experience at all. What I do have is a MBA and BSBA, plus I have over 10 years of fortune 100 managerial experience. I have received interviews with seven different agencies all 1811 or 1801 jobs (I am processing with 4 of the 7). My point to you is (not to discount CJ degrees or MCJ degrees) CJ degrees are not competitive at all (they come a dime a dozen). Maybe locally you will get bits, but on the Fed side very low chance on interviews or landing a job in the 1811 or 1801 class. Plus if the 1811 opportunity does not work out, you still have chance of getting a VP or director job with a Business, Finance or Accounting degrees. Plus with a utilized degree (ie Business, Finance, and Account) you are more will rounded for world business, including 1811s.

Good Luck.

Comment

• I have a friend who was just hired as a USSS SA and his undergrad is financial based and his masters is in management. You are right if they "required" a certain degree they would post it; however, I agree with everyone else, accounting will do a much better job of setting you apart from other applicants.

But I am a believer that the only time having a certain degree or going to a certain college can help you is during the interview. Besides that having a degree is simply check the block.

Neither the Director or the Deputy Director of the USSS even have a master's degree according to the bio's. After doing my research of high level executives in various 3 letter agencies I've begun to question whether or not getting a Master's degree would even be worth the time/effort.

Comment

Thank you for the advice. I'm not doubting you whatsoever, but if they wanted a specialized degree like that, wouldn't they post what they wanted similar to the FBI? Seems that Criminal Justice is the catchall? Anyone here had a problem with USSS with a M.S. in CrimJustice?
                        I have a M.S. in Criminal Justice and had no problems at all with the process
                        God Bless America

101st Airborne Division, Rakassans Air Assaultttttttt
                        3rd Infantry Division, 2BCT

ICE 1811
                        Applied: 6/22/09
                        Exam: 7/24/2009
                        SI/WA: 3/2/2010
                        The Call: October 26, 2010
                        PRESIDIO BOUND!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Personally, I dont think the degree really matter. It will be looked at as you have a Masters, and the next applicant has a Masters, now what else will set you two apart. Like I stated in my earlier post, my Masters is in Criminal Justice, so I dont think we can just label one degree any better than the other, especially with the USSS process. With the FBI, its a different story because they specifically ask for certain degrees at times. It will come down to what have you done outside of that degree, such as miltary, work experience, community service, etc
                          God Bless America

101st Airborne Division, Rakassans Air Assaultttttttt
                          3rd Infantry Division, 2BCT

ICE 1811
                          Applied: 6/22/09
                          Exam: 7/24/2009
                          SI/WA: 3/2/2010
                          The Call: October 26, 2010
                          PRESIDIO BOUND!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by cardeea View Post
                            CheeseburgerEdd,

I have no FLEO, local LEO, or Fed experience at all. What I do have is a MBA and BSBA, plus I have over 10 years of fortune 100 managerial experience. I have received interviews with seven different agencies all 1811 or 1801 jobs (I am processing with 4 of the 7). My point to you is (not to discount CJ degrees or MCJ degrees) CJ degrees are not competitive at all (they come a dime a dozen). Maybe locally you will get bits, but on the Fed side very low chance on interviews or landing a job in the 1811 or 1801 class. Plus if the 1811 opportunity does not work out, you still have chance of getting a VP or director job with a Business, Finance or Accounting degrees. Plus with a utilized degree (ie Business, Finance, and Account) you are more will rounded for world business, including 1811s.

Good Luck.
                            I'm going to disagree with that one (A LOT). I have been around FLE for a few years, I have been on hiring panels, and I have graduate degrees. Saying that a Masters in CJ (as opposed to an MBA or accounting degree) will in some way reduce your chance of getting an interview is incorrect and bordering on ridiculous. The majority of applicants won't have a graduate degree, so getting a graduate degree is always a good thing. You are probably right that a masters in CJ won't get you a second look if you are applying to fortune 100 or fortune 500 management positions. But, let's be realistic. This is LE, so a CJ degree is valuable, although probably won't have the specialization points that will help if you are applying to an agency that investigates a bunch of finance related crimes. Don't think for one second that the US Marshals or the ATF won't give you a second look because you have a CJ degree instead of some finance/accounting/business degree. It goes like this: "Does the applicant have a graduate degree... any graduate degree?" "He does? Ok, check that box..."

However, I do agree that if you want a degree that applies to lots of different areas, go ahead and get an MBA. Of course, that is unless you want to do social work or be a probation officer. In that case, it is just as useless/usefull as a CJ degree. It all depends on what you want to do with the degree. But, don't think for one second that you will be overlooked by most agencies because you have a CJ degree (unless you are applying to IRS or trying for the FBI accounting critical skill). Remember, an MBA is a generalist degree as well and hiring panels know that.

Comment

• To anyone that knows the training process (regarding the article i posted) --- what threw me for a loop was that it seemed that all trainees stayed in a hotel? I thought everyone would be in barracks. One guy even brought his family? I didn't even know that was an option.

As for the Masters discussion - i'm working on my a MS in Computer Security and it seems to be well sought after ....for now. I think any Graduate education will be beneficial. It only proves that you can achieve a certain level of education. I'm sure they'll teach you everything you need to know.

Comment

• postdeleted
                                Last edited by soflafed; 10-31-2011, 02:27 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 14967 users online. 516 members and 14451 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X