Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by Jarhead1302; 02-22-2009, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• Did your BI say that would be the hiring amount for the 2009 fiscal year?

Congrats on the last step, hopefully the call will come soon. There will be a hiring panel scheduled for the end of July for an August class. The next hiring panel will be in September for a October class. Good luck and best wishes.

MIK

Comment

• delete message
        Last edited by Mik11; 07-24-2008, 10:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jarhead1302 View Post
          Does anybody have a general idea of how may times the average SA relocates throughout a career?

Do initial field office assignments generally take any consideration into the geographic preference of the new SA? (east coast vs. west cost)

Are overseas field office assignments required of all agents? (Are these sought after assignments?)
          Generally, you'll do your first field office (4-7 years), followed by your protective detail time in DC (4-5 years). Right now, you MUST do at least 2 assignments in DC (protective detail + 1, which could be HQ, training, WFO, etc) for a total of 8-10 years in DC. Then it's back to the field. You'll move more often if you're looking to get promoted.

Geographic preference comes into consideration when you're hired. The USSS doesn't pay for your first move, so they'll "try" to keep you "close" to home. Obviously, "needs of the Service" prevail. Familiarize yourself with that phrase.

Overseas assignments are NOT required. They are bid out, and are generally sought after assignments.

Good luck.
          "...the complacency of fools will destroy them." Proverbs 1:32

Comment

• Originally posted by dan25 View Post
            ok lots of posts here so sorry if i am asking something that someone said 100 posts ago, but i just went to a carrer fair about the secret service uniform division and special agent. I am 22 years old just meet the requirements by December (i.e. bachelor's degree,etc). But I figure their is probably a ton of LEO's with BA's applying and Im wondering if I am just better off only applying to the uniform division as my only work experience has been part time jobs in high school and college. Am I making the right move? I mean odds are they don't hire too many SA's right out of college. I was thinking I might like the UD and besides that it may at least get my foot in the door. thanks for any advice
            You will probably not be competitive for agent. You have several options:
            1. Apply for Uniform Division (UD). You'll be working for the USSS, getting experience, building time towards your federal retirement, etc. You can apply for agent in 3 years.
            2. Apply with a local PD. You'll gain experience, and make yourself more competitive.
            3. Start working on your Master's Degree. For some reason, we value the sacred Master's, and will pay for it - GS-9 to be exact.
            I don't mean to bust your bubble, but this will probably save you some running around and filling out unnecessary paperwork. Get some experience first.

Comment

Last edited by Jarhead1302; 02-22-2009, 10:47 AM.

Comment

• federale083,

no offense taken this is exactly what i needed to hear. i think you are right on. i guarantee that they would absolutely grill me at the interview for having no real life experience even remotely close to the job duties of the USSS, heck im a teaching major! its ok though i getting my app in for the UD and i think it sounds pretty interesting to me. however, from what im reading from other posts a lot of people quit the UD because its so boring? i figure it would give me some good LE background and it seems to offer everything a local PD would but did you or any other agents here ever work UD? how did you like it? thanks

Comment

• xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                  Last edited by OSU; 02-19-2009, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by OSU View Post
                    I'm a long time stalker, first time poster. I'm finally posting as I'm just about done with the process (hopefully) and I wanted to see if there was other applicants going before the September board and hopefully FLETC in October.

My timline:
                    Oct 07-Application submitted to Honolulu FO
                    Nov 07-Initial Interview
                    Dec 07-TEA/Panel
                    Jan 08-Medical
                    Apr 08-Poly
                    May 08-BI begun
                    July 08-BI Complete/Home Interview
                    OSU,

It seems that our path has been very similar. Did they contact you and tell you that your BI was complete after your home interview? Also, were you told that you were heading to the September board because you were to late for August? I was not told what board I was going before and I wondered if it may be the same.

Thanks in advance

Comment

• xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

• xxxxxxxxxx
                        Last edited by LawDog99; 09-08-2011, 10:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LawDog99 View Post
                          I think too many applicants sweat the details. Let the process take its course and stop worrying about dates, when "the next step" is coming, and hiring panels. Just do what you're told when they tell you to do it. You're not dealing with some idiots who need you calling them to remind them that you applied "X" months ago. You're an applicant -- it's none of your business when the employer decides to call you or hold an illusive "hiring panel." There are an immense number of over-qualified, over-educated, Type-A applicants vollying for these positions, and calling offices with questions about hiring panels -- as if one even deserves a hiring panel -- is not a good idea. Submit your application and move on trying to excel in whatever it is you do with your.
                          +1

I made the big mistake of calling the AC a week after my panel interview and didn't exactly get a warm response. Now I'm afraid to call back--and I haven't heard anything in almost three months. I'm thinking of calling again this week. But now they're protecting both McCain and Obama, and President Bush is on his way to Chiner for the Olympics.

Comment

• Originally posted by LawDog99 View Post
                            I think too many applicants sweat the details. Let the process take its course and stop worrying about dates, when "the next step" is coming, and hiring panels. Just do what you're told when they tell you to do it. You're not dealing with some idiots who need you calling them to remind them that you applied "X" months ago. You're an applicant -- it's none of your business when the employer decides to call you or hold an illusive "hiring panel." There are an immense number of over-qualified, over-educated, Type-A applicants vollying for these positions, and calling offices with questions about hiring panels -- as if one even deserves a hiring panel -- is not a good idea. Submit your application and move on trying to excel in whatever it is you do with your life.
                            I went back a few post and I can't find where anyone is talking about calling their field office. I have been in the process for over a year and have never called, not once. There is nothing wrong with people seeking information, from those in a similar situation , about a process that may cause profound changes in their lives, nothing at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan25 View Post
                              federale083,

no offense taken this is exactly what i needed to hear. i think you are right on. i guarantee that they would absolutely grill me at the interview for having no real life experience even remotely close to the job duties of the USSS, heck im a teaching major! its ok though i getting my app in for the UD and i think it sounds pretty interesting to me. however, from what im reading from other posts a lot of people quit the UD because its so boring? i figure it would give me some good LE background and it seems to offer everything a local PD would but did you or any other agents here ever work UD? how did you like it? thanks
                              I was not UD. I came to the USSS from local LE. There are A LOT of agents, however, that started as UD. Going from UD to agent means a pay increase and a chance to leave DC. I have great respect for UD officers and the job they do, but they are stuck in DC - which is not for me.
                              Last edited by federale083; 08-07-2008, 07:36 AM.

Comment

• xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4471 users online. 320 members and 4151 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X