300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
    Was just wondering - I received my BQA e-mail last week about a month after my interview - I've worked in law enforcement for the past 9 years and the agent who did my interview didn't see anything wrong in my background packet - however, he was very concerned with the fact that my house is worth significantly less than what I owe (whose isn't?!?!), can't short sale it due to Top Secret Security Clearance status, and that I'm married with children and what my wife thought about the job.

To the people that have been hired - congratulations - were you just that much more mobile and not tied down to a house and family?? I'm just wondering as there was no reason in the BQA e-mail that I received, and the apparent perception of the lack of mobility is the only thing I can think of.
    They asked me about my house to. I made sure to tell them that I was not upside down on my mortgage and that I had the money to sale the house if necessary.

Originally posted by eddie824 View Post
    I hope ICEAGENT doesn't mind me quoting him from another thread, but this is a good post and relevant to what I have read on this page of this thread. I am starting to think the most important thing in the 1811 pursuit is timing (if you are minimally qualified). Anyway, this is a good post from ICEAGENT from the thread hyperlinked.
    That sounds about right. Nice info.

Comment

• The only problem with that though was the lengthy background packet and the financial disclosure statement. I didn't want to lie and get kicked out of the process later. I was 100% truthful with my background - most importantly I didn't have a reason to lie - which is why I keep going back to the housing situation as the reason for my BQA letter.

I may re-apply, I may not. Who knows. Like I've said, I've been applying all over the place lately. Although - if I do make it to the interview again with them or another agency and I'm asked the same question - I'm going to have a plan ahead of time (leasing it, renting it, negotiated short sale (doesn't go against credit), keeping it and renting when we move, etc.)
      Originally posted by RSGSRT
      We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
      Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

The only problem with that though was the lengthy background packet and the financial disclosure statement. I didn't want to lie and get kicked out of the process later. I was 100% truthful with my background - most importantly I didn't have a reason to lie - which is why I keep going back to the housing situation as the reason for my BQA letter.

I may re-apply, I may not. Who knows. Like I've said, I've been applying all over the place lately. Although - if I do make it to the interview again with them or another agency and I'm asked the same question - I'm going to have a plan ahead of time (leasing it, renting it, negotiated short sale (doesn't go against credit), keeping it and renting when we move, etc.)
        How did they know that you owed more on the house than it was worth? If I remember correctly, the form just asked how much equity you had in the home and how much you owe on the loan. I showed the historic value of the home (Total principal paid + total principal owed).

Comment

• Reading this thread again will make me surprised if I even make it past the initial interview.

I have my initial scheduled for the middle of this month. I'm only 23 with a bachelors in CJ, with national guard experience.

I'm surprised I even got the call for the initial to be honest. Hell, I thought I bombed the TEA. Unless I guessed all those questions I didn't know right.

Oh well, I'm just going with the flow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sgt88m View Post
            Reading this thread again will make me surprised if I even make it past the initial interview.

I have my initial scheduled for the middle of this month. I'm only 23 with a bachelors in CJ, with national guard experience.

I'm surprised I even got the call for the initial to be honest. Hell, I thought I bombed the TEA. Unless I guessed all those questions I didn't know right.

Oh well, I'm just going with the flow.
            Just remember that there are people on this forum who went through the entire hiring process, and passed every step, but were given the BQA letter at the very end. That fact alone has me nervous. It's too soon for any of us to say that we beat the odds when we haven't been hired yet.
            What is Perseverance?
            -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
            -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
            -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony D1811 View Post
              How did they know that you owed more on the house than it was worth? If I remember correctly, the form just asked how much equity you had in the home and how much you owe on the loan. I showed the historic value of the home (Total principal paid + total principal owed).
              I just looked at the forms (I have them saved on the computer) - they asked for the current market value of the home. I had a recent appraisal. Shot myself in the foot with that one. Turns out ignorance IS bliss. $90k owed - $30k current market value = $60k in the hole. Sucks. House was worth $160k seven years ago before the area housing market took a dive. But I'm getting off topic.
              We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
              Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

I just looked at the forms (I have them saved on the computer) - they asked for the current market value of the home. I had a recent appraisal. Shot myself in the foot with that one. Turns out ignorance IS bliss. $90k owed - $30k current market value = $60k in the hole. Sucks. House was worth $160k seven years ago before the area housing market took a dive. But I'm getting off topic.
                HOLY CRAP!!!!!!! $160k value to $30k? That's obscene!
                Big Brother is watching

Comment

The only problem with that though was the lengthy background packet and the financial disclosure statement. I didn't want to lie and get kicked out of the process later. I was 100% truthful with my background - most importantly I didn't have a reason to lie - which is why I keep going back to the housing situation as the reason for my BQA letter.

FYI...All short sales hurt your credit, just not as bad as a foreclosure.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
                    Just remember that there are people on this forum who went through the entire hiring process, and passed every step, but were given the BQA letter at the very end. That fact alone has me nervous. It's too soon for any of us to say that we beat the odds when we haven't been hired yet.
                    That is crazy. I'm studying for my LSAT anyway, so if I mean I'll go through the process, and if I get hired, great, I'll take the job. If not, law school for me. I really can't stand the long process these departments use to be honest any more.

Comment

Oh ouch. Yea I could not remember if it asked for FMV or Historic. I was lucky because I had just purchased my house.

Comment

Last edited by Glascock; 06-30-2011, 06:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jarhead_FBI_SA View Post
                          HOLY CRAP!!!!!!! $160k value to $30k? That's obscene!
                          The foreclosures in my city and surrounding area are killing home values. The SA who did the initial understood (cause he lives here) but HQ was the one who sent the BQA. Go figure.

Comment

The foreclosures in my city and surrounding area are killing home values. The SA who did the initial understood (cause he lives here) but HQ was the one who sent the BQA. Go figure.
                            As was said above, the adjudicators know the economy is bad and the housing market is worse. If you are in a tight spot due to situational issues and through no fault of your own, it is vastly different than financial irresponsibility. Mitigating factors is the key term here.

We are all competing against thousands of appicants for a few slots...so apply everywhere you feel like you are qualified and don't put all your eggs in one basket. I'm fairly certain the only reason I've made it this far is because I have experience doing protective details in a combat zone. I have no LE experience at all. Just keep working on your qualifications, and with your fraud background, I would look into the OIGs and/or IRS 1811
                            Big Brother is watching

Comment

• Still Waiting?

Did any SA candidates out there apply before Jan of 09? If you did, I was just wondering if you may have received my BQA letter by mistake.

Comment

• i did my initial on may 24, the sa told me she was passing me on to the next step and that was also confirmed by the secretary a few weeks afterwards because they needed another form. i am getting a little nervous though because everything else was working in month long intervals. is this normal? i'm not holding my breath but i'm trying to transition from being in good health shape to performance shape and it sucks. just need a little motivation for those 6 a.m. workouts.

also, are there any other 1811's that i can apply for at this time-ones that may hire a 34 yr old football coach with no le or military experience?
                                Last edited by inside-out; 07-08-2010, 08:53 PM. Reason: forgot to add
                                Secret Service SA
                                Applied 1/10
                                TEA 4/10
                                Initial 5/10
                                Panel 10/10
                                Poly 12/10
                                Poly #2 2/11
                                Medical 4/11
                                Background 4/11
                                HI 5/11
                                DS 5/11
                                Background update 10/12
                                Poly #3 1/13
                                Longest timeline in the history of the USSS 1/13
                                The Call ????

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 16845 users online. 466 members and 16379 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X