Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I do not meet the uncorrected vision requirement. Is there any way to go through the process until I get to medical and be put on hold until the LASIK is done and approved? I would be willing to get LASIK but if I don't have a chance at being hired I'd rather not spend the money on it. Is it common for people to go far in the hiring process and get put on hold for vision or do they get DQ'd and have to reapply? Thanks for your help.

Comment

• I'm in the same boat baggageclaim -- I'm actually trying to get the surgery done next week

Comment

• Originally posted by baggageclaim View Post
        I do not meet the uncorrected vision requirement. Is there any way to go through the process until I get to medical and be put on hold until the LASIK is done and approved? I would be willing to get LASIK but if I don't have a chance at being hired I'd rather not spend the money on it. Is it common for people to go far in the hiring process and get put on hold for vision or do they get DQ'd and have to reapply? Thanks for your help.
        I was in the same situation but they didn't even start my process because I didn't make the "intial requirements", vision was 20/160 and you need atleast 20/60. They told me they didn't want to waste their time nor money if you didn't make those intial requirements.

I know its frustrating and not the news you probably wanted to hear. Get Lasik ASAP then they told me to reapply, yes you have to do all the paperwork too. There is also a 3 month waiting period after the surgery to see a doc and make sure your vision is within the required range. Good luck to ya!!

Comment

• Can anyone point me to an area where there is discussion about how much a SS agent is gone? Basically, home life, etc. I'm in the process with a few other agencies, but I never put my application in with the Secret Service because I remembered reading that they were gone all the time. Now, I'm not really sure where I read that or if it's true or not. The 40+ pages of info I read on here and on 911 didn't mention anything. Any help?

PS - I also took the ATF test in January and passed. Can OPM send me a numeric score? I only received an eligible letter.

Thanks,

Robert

Comment

• SHSU. This is from an applicant, so take it as an uniformed guess. The home interview from what I hear is to tell your wife that you are going to be gone all the time. On campaign they say its three weeks at a time, then three weeks home but youre doing invest and can be called out for other things. A small example was an agent I talked to. Worked his reg week, thur gets told he has to drive from chicago to the kentucky derby on sat . 15 hours of standing guard duty. Drive back and go to work monday. All unpaid cause its leap
            I think however, that the smaller fo you go too, or the less populated the area, you wont get called out or travel as much. The perception I got from my local office.

Comment

• Message Deleted
              Last edited by policesc1; 05-27-2008, 04:01 PM.

Comment

• Just got the word yesterday my Poly is scheduled for June 18!

September 25: Turned in Application
                October 15: Initial interview (Passed)
                December 20: TEA (Passed)
                March 19: Panel Interview (Passed)
                May 21: Medical (Passed)
                June 18: Polygraph (scheduled)

Comment

• MCALL80 or SHSUROBERT

I have to get my Lasik done then I will send in my application, was wondering if you purchased the TEA Exam study guide and if you did, was it helpful? Also did you find the math portion the toughest?
                  "No battle plan survives contact with the enemy"

Helmuth Karl Bernhard Graf von Moltke
                  German Generalfieldmarshall

Comment

• I purchased the "Master the Treasury Enforcement Agent Exam" by Arco. I probably didn't study as much as some on here, but it, at the very least, gave me some idea of what to expect. Yes, the math portion was the hardest. My advice for the math section is to memorize formulas that you can use, e.g. Simple-Interest, Distance/Time, etc. So, when you come to those questions, you can find your answer a little quicker. Supposedly, the test is graded 70% overall and not by section. Therefore, if you're not a math whiz, like myself, try to focus on the other sections.

Comment

• Hello all I'm new to the forum and I just submitted my app to the Secret Serve for the position of SA. I'm young and feel like I'm probably going to get the "try back in 3 years" run-around but I figured what the heck I might as well apply. I'd greatly appreciate advice from any SA's, Federal LE, or people currently in the hiring process. Please be honest and let me know what my strengths/weaknesses are as a candidate, if I have a legitimate shot at going USSS SA (MY DREAM JOB), if I don't what other Fed. Agencies may be a better place for me to start and get my foot in the door, and what I can do to make myself a better candidate. Thanks for the help.

-26 y.o.a
                      -B.S. in Criminal Justice, Minor in Public Affairs
                      -Designated as a Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) by the ACFE
                      -Two years of total law enforcement experience with a State regulatory agency that has full police powers. As agents, we conduct our own investigations (I've successfully worked several counterfeit/fraud investigations over the last two years).
                      -I've taken 1 graduate-level class towards a MS in Criminology but stopped because I was unsure if this is the best graduate program for me and my career (what grad programs are best for Fed. LE/USSS SA?)

Any feedback at all would be greatly appreciated! Sorry for the length of the post!

Comment

• oh yeah forgot... I'm in excellent physical shape and have squeaky clean background...

Comment

• Thanks, SHSURobert

I have my LASIK appointment for June and I have the exact same book by ARCO. I will concentrate on memorizing the formulas like you said. I will send my application as soon as I get my LASIK.

Indy44

According to my buddy who works for a JTTF with a couple USSS Agents they are really on a big recruiting drive. You will be fine they only really care about derogatory past and whether you are honest with them. So you will be fine, don't wait the Federal Government can stop funding classes at anytime(do it now). Good Luck and I am sure you will be fine.

P.S. Wish I was born with just a little better vision.
                          "No battle plan survives contact with the enemy"

Helmuth Karl Bernhard Graf von Moltke
                          German Generalfieldmarshall

Comment

• hey Former USAF,

I am actually in the same boat as you. I also need Lasik surgery. I just completed my panel interview and is waiting for the results. I am gonna go have my eye examine to see if I am a good candidate for Lasik in June. So far, I've passed the initial interview, tea exam, and recently took the panel. I don't understand why they need perfect vision =( . No one has really been able to explain this to me. gluck

Comment

• Application ?

How did everyone submit their application? Did you mail it to the local field office or take it yourself? If you took it yourself how did you present it? Should I put it in a legal envelope or what?

Comment

• I hand delivered it in a large legal envelope. I labeled it as if it was going to be mailed. Got a call about two or three days later from the RAC for an interview. Don't mail it unless the office is really out of your way, you're going to have to travel there for the initial interview anyway so it also gives you an idea of where the office is.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5475 users online. 346 members and 5129 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X