Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, I'm also new to the board and have some questions with regard to my particular situation (I'm a USMC type, stationed in Washington State with my contract ending in about 2 years or so). I'm interested in a career in Federal Law Enforcement, if I can land one, but I'm trying to find the best way to work the application timeline without starting so early that it interferes with my EAS or so late that I end up having to turn down orders. I don't want to waste the board's time posting a resume, so is there anyone I can PM to ask some somewhat tedious, "me-oriented" questions? Thanks for your time, and many thanks to the law enforcement professionals on this board for doing what you all do.
    Last edited by mothq4; 04-25-2008, 01:24 AM.
    "Well, there is a delicate corneal inversion procedure... multi-opti-pupil-op-to-my. But, in order to keep from damaging the eye sockets, they've got to go in through the rectum. Ain't no man going to take that route with me."

Comment

• Originally posted by delta59 View Post
      From some of you folks that would know...

Where are some of the most likely places that I can expect to be assigned once offered a position? How good is the SS being right now at keeping folks somewhere in the same region they come from? I live in the Southeast, and would like to stay somewhere in the region. How likely is this? I am really hoping NOT to get something like NY. I'd take it without hesitation, but I'd sure hate to end up there! What are some recent experiences?

Somebody, everybody, give me some feedback!
      Since the begining of my process, all I have ever heard is that they will offer three to four places and you pick one of them. LA, SF, NY are usually the top three choice, I was told that they could possibly offer a closer duty station depending if there are spots open. I pray everyday for Houston.

Comment

• Originally posted by ksig View Post
        Since the begining of my process, all I have ever heard is that they will offer three to four places and you pick one of them. LA, SF, NY are usually the top three choice, I was told that they could possibly offer a closer duty station depending if there are spots open. I pray everyday for Houston.
        I'm like you - Houston would definately be an answered prayer. I would even be happy with Miami!

Comment

• I heard at charlotte that they were only offereing one location. Of course the agent said that his first spot was Charlotte, so seems off. I would love to hear what recent hires have to say.
          Panel is coming up soon, guess I will start thinking of answers to why I want to work for service, qualifications etc?

Comment

• Hi,
            I'm new to the forum and have been following for a while now. First, I want to say WOW there is a wealth of information here.

I will introduce myself I have a B.S. in CJ and a J.D. recently. I am currently in private practice I have 6 years of service in the U.S. Navy. Not an officer.

I have been thinking about the idea of a career in federal law enforcement. I applied to NCIS, FBI, U.S.SS and the CIA.

I've heard from the FBI, CIA and SS. I had a phone interview with the CIA and what they are offering is really not what I was looking either way I have not heard from them as of yet. I did hear from the FBI and they scheduled me for the phase I test next month.

I had my interview with the SS yesterday and am really considering the SA position.

My question is basically what are the items I should be looking for when comparing the job both 1811 at least with the FBI and SS.

I have a family do not mind moving but want stability any advice is appreciated.

Comment

• SBRIDGE:

The best advice is to apply for both. I know the USSS is a bit more friendly when giving first duty stations. All my friends from the FBI got sent to the west coast from the east. Also, do not refer to the USSS as "SS". They get really bent about that. Good luck.

Comment

• BPD Once

Thanks, I will continue in the process.

Comment

• SBRIDGE. Check your PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BPD Once View Post
                    SBRIDGE:

The best advice is to apply for both. I know the USSS is a bit more friendly when giving first duty stations. All my friends from the FBI got sent to the west coast from the east. Also, do not refer to the USSS as "SS". They get really bent about that. Good luck.

Hey BPD Once, it seems you have an inside knowlege of the USSS. I was told about two weeks ago that the hiring panel had approved my application and that I am just waiting for an academy date. How long should I wait until I call the recruiter for anymore information?

Comment

• ksig,

I have a few old friends from a local PD who are with the service. The answer to your question is just be patient and it will come. I would almost say forget that you are waiting and go on with life. However,, I would only do that six days a week. On that seventh day M-F preferably, I would be making a phone call.

Comment

• Hey everyone, I've been reading the posts and have viewed alot of good questions/answers.

I heard over the radio that the SS is hiring and to call my local office down here in South Florida. For anyone who knows, what do you think of my background for being competitive.

-25yoa
                        -4 yrs LEO Experience
                        -1yr+ as a Detective
                        -SWAT team
                        -Have investigated a Homicide, multiple Rapes, Robberies, Missing Persons, Financial Crimes, Property Crimes, etc
                        -With the dept I have received multiple commendations from supervisors, chief and District State Attorneys office. Officer of the Quarter, Perfect Attendance, etc.
                        -Advanced Training Courses - Detective Academy, Narcotics, Interviews, Death Investigation, etc..
                        -Great Physical shape (weight lift 5x a week)
                        -Firefighter 1 & 2 certified
                        -Emergency Medical Technician certified

Only thing I don't have is a 4yr degree.

Any thoughts? Thanks for any help.
                        Last edited by RwHJR3; 04-27-2008, 07:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RwHJR3 View Post
                          Hey everyone, I've been reading the posts and have viewed alot of good questions/answers.

I heard over the radio that the SS is hiring and to call my local office down here in South Florida. For anyone who knows, what do you think of my background for being competitive.

-25yoa
                          -4 yrs LEO Experience
                          -1yr+ as a Detective
                          -SWAT team
                          -Have investigated a Homicide, multiple Rapes, Robberies, Missing Persons, Financial Crimes, Property Crimes, etc
                          -With the dept I have received multiple commendations from supervisors, chief and District State Attorneys office. Officer of the Quarter, Perfect Attendance, etc.
                          -Advanced Training Courses - Detective Academy, Narcotics, Interviews, Death Investigation, etc..
                          -Great Physical shape (weight lift 5x a week)
                          -Firefighter 1 & 2 certified
                          -Emergency Medical Technician certified

Only thing I don't have is a 4yr degree.

Any thoughts? Thanks for any help.
                          Go to www.secretservice.gov or call your local field office. A recruiter will be able to tell you if not having a degree will hurt you or not. You seem to have great law enforcement training and you're young, there is always time to get your degree. Best of luck

Comment

• Originally posted by ksig View Post
                            Go to www.secretservice.gov or call your local field office. A recruiter will be able to tell you if not having a degree will hurt you or not. You seem to have great law enforcement training and you're young, there is always time to get your degree. Best of luck
                            Thanks Ksig

Comment

• Primaries aren't until May 6th in NC, so looks like we are on hold until then.

Comment

• I had my iniial interview today, seemed to go well the agent was very laid back and friendly. Basically went over all the aspects of the job and how hard it is on your family. He really wanted honesty on the application because he was irritated by all of the candidates that get to the poly and fail for lying about their past when they should have been honest at the beginning. Told me to study the practice test books and give him a call when I was ready to take the TEA. Pobablly in early june.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12975 users online. 481 members and 12494 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X