300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinups

The USSS pt test consists of chin ups (underhand grip) not pull ups (overhand grip) and situps are hands across chest with elbows touching the knees when in the "up" position.
    Last edited by moto; 03-18-2008, 09:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Up_On_Base
      Tell that to the guys giving the PT test at JJRTC and see what they say. I am sure they will make your "fun run" extra fun w/ plenty of chin ups.
      I know during my training at JJRTC they were always referred to as pull ups, not a big deal either way. Just do as told while there and it's easy.

Name 'em what you want, but the test calls for an underhand grip. And that's what prospective agents need to know when training to pass the test.

Now if the "guys giving the PT test" want you to do something different and then call that part of the test.....then seriously what can you do? But I believe it's a safe assumption that your test will be given according to regulations.

Anyway, aren't fun runs by definition.....fun? Soft sand with jungle boots are a must!

Comment

• I had my panel interview today. I felt it went well. Anyone on this thread can advise from their own experience how long to hear any results.

This is a response to an earlier post in reference to resheduling interviews. I had to be reschedule for my panel interview date due to trial that I was on. The agent in recruiting was very flexible and understanding.

Any info would be greatly appreicated!
        Last edited by mcall80; 03-19-2008, 08:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mcall80 View Post
          I had my panel interview today. I felt it went well. Anyone on this thread can advise from their own experience how long to hear any results.

This is a response to an earlier post in reference to resheduling interviews. I had to be reschedule for my panel interview date due to trial that I was on. The agent in recruiting was very flexible and understanding.

Any info would be greatly appreicated!
          I knew I passed my panel in about 4 weeks when I got a call to schedule my physical exam/drug test. I didn't get a notification of just "passing the panel". Good luck.

Comment

• "Examples of Specialized Experience to qualify for each grade level are listed below:

At the GL-5 Level: Bachelor’s degree or Experience as a uniformed law enforcement officer where the principal duties consisted of investigations and arrests involving traffic violations, minor felonies, misdemeanor, and comparable offenses; or in which the major duties involved guarding and protecting property, preventing crimes, and/or legal research without the application of investigative techniques."

This is what is posted on the USA Jobs anouncement. I thought being just a police officer does not qualify you for SA or did they change the requirements. Also, I was wondering has anyone here applied under this criteria.
            USMS
            Info Session: 3/26/2009
            Interview: 6/1/09
            Conditional Offer: 7/2/09
            Sumbitted e-qip: 7/9/09
            Medical Exam: 7/14/09
            Background Interview: 7/29/09
            Drug Screening: 7/29/09
            FIT Test: 1/6/10 (Passed)
            FLETC: 6/9/10

Comment

• Got unofficial word today that i'm not getting a panel.

Someone who spoke with the agent from my initial interview said he gave the highest marks in all categories but that I didn't have enough consecutive full-time work experience. Said I should reapply in 2009.

We'll see what comes up with some of my other prospects...

Comment

• The recruiter said with my Biochemistry degree + WMD/CBRNE background (and I'm getting trained to a higher level as a HAZMAT Tech in August), to reply in a year when I have another year of post-college full-time work experience.

My partner was told similar. He will be in the July NYPD class and the same recruiter said if he was rejected that after a year of being OTJ with NYPD he'd definitely get hired by USSS.

The recruiter also said some of my problem was the competition: A lot of ex-Army/Marines coming back from Iraq with combat experience and a degree beats my application out.

My dilemma is: I have an opportunity to leave my current job for a higher paying one in a different location in the same field. Would it be wise to go for the better position? Or would changing jobs look bad?

Comment

• Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                  Here is where it gets tricky -- being an uniformed police officer (state, county, city, local) will give you that experience. Conducting traffic stops, getting drugs/guns off the street, making tons of lock ups, etc.

Federal Police (0083) your principal mission is not enforcement but protection, so technically you are qualified but you can't tell me that a state trooper/city cop does not have more qualifactions to be an criminal investigator. I know that most of my UD class that gradutated years ago don't have a lock up yet, the most anyone has is 15.

There are plenty of UD guys that get picked up SA, but there is no longer an internal list and w/ UD losing soooo many people year after year not as many are getting picked up.

Also - There are many people who get picked up SA with no LE experience, if you have other skills like IT, language, military, etc it's very possible to get picked up for USSS-SA. Apply and see what happens.
                  Thanks for the insight. I have both local LE and federal LE experience and have 64 college credits so far. I was also wondering why they changed the requirements. On the USSS webs site it still says that uniformed LE is non-qualifying specialized experience.
                  USMS
                  Info Session: 3/26/2009
                  Interview: 6/1/09
                  Conditional Offer: 7/2/09
                  Sumbitted e-qip: 7/9/09
                  Medical Exam: 7/14/09
                  Background Interview: 7/29/09
                  Drug Screening: 7/29/09
                  FIT Test: 1/6/10 (Passed)
                  FLETC: 6/9/10

Comment

• Im curious if I would have a shot at USSS SA.. I have a B.S degree, 2 years of local l.e. experience and 1 year of law school education.. I'm thinking about withdrawing from law school to return to l.e... what do you current fed agents think?

Thanks!
                    Steve

Comment

• I had to borrow 50K for my first year of law school.. I am not expecting to receive any free money as they really limit that for grad school.. Therefore, Im really trying to decide if 150K in student loans is worth it to get my law degree.. esp. being at 30 yrs old.. repayment would be 1000/month for 25 yrs..

Im also looking at getting back into a large pd with a good retirement.. do my 20-25 yrs and get a nice retirement.. what do you guys think? Its a tough decision

Comment

• SS-SA Fit Test

To all that have recently done it or know the answer anyway:
                        At what point during the SA hiring process are you actually tested using the fit standards? I've heard that "if you can't do it 100% when you get to the academy, you'll be able to when you leave" and I've heard that you are tested and sent home if you can't do it when you get to the academy. Can someone clear this up for me? Also, can someone please explain the "scoring" system for the test. I know you get points based on where you fall on the fit standards chart, but I don't know how it's scored and how many points equal a satisfactory completion. Someone, anyone, please explain this for me if you can. Thanks a lot.

Comment

• Scoring

Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                          If you can do this you will be good to go.

-- 50 push ups per minute
                          -- 50 sit up per minute
                          -- 10 lock out pull ups
                          -- Sub 11:45 (1.5 mile)

You will have a PT test every 3 months.
                          The scoring system is based on age. The older you are, the lower the required score to pass.

For simplicity's sake like Base says above, if you can do this you should be fine....however, if these numbers concern you, you might want to reconsider your job aspirations.

You're given the test at your initial Beltsville visit, FLETC and then again at the Training Center.

Comment

• Originally posted by delta59 View Post
                            To all that have recently done it or know the answer anyway:
                            At what point during the SA hiring process are you actually tested using the fit standards? I've heard that "if you can't do it 100% when you get to the academy, you'll be able to when you leave" and I've heard that you are tested and sent home if you can't do it when you get to the academy. Can someone clear this up for me? Also, can someone please explain the "scoring" system for the test. I know you get points based on where you fall on the fit standards chart, but I don't know how it's scored and how many points equal a satisfactory completion. Someone, anyone, please explain this for me if you can. Thanks a lot.

Your best bet is to contact your recruiter for the most up to date information. A PT booklet was distributed to Field Office's to be handed out to applicants. The booklet explains in great detail the PT program as well as the scoring system.

Comment

• If you are not an active runner and actually hate running, I found this program to be great at getting back in shape and in a condition to be able to run long distances, which is what you will be doing eventually during your training. I believe someone mentioned this a while back.

Having actually experiencing this program, I can tell you that it eases you into it gradually so that you are able to run 3 miles at the end of two months. I'm not a runner, hate to run, and am a good size guy at 250lbs, and I'm able to run 5 miles or so after working this program. Granted, my pace isn't a 7 min mile.....I never will be........but being over 30 and able to run an 8min mile is pretty good.

Check it out and hope it helps the rest of the non-runners like me.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

By the way...I'm new to this forum as an actual contributer but have been reading it for years. I'm finishing my USSS SA application and will be applying soon. Thanks to all those with factual information on this process that have contributed. Its great to have a place to go to get answers.
                              Last edited by 4Adam13; 03-24-2008, 03:33 PM.

Comment

• Applied for the Secret Service

Hey all,

I have been following this website for a while now I wanted to throw my hat into the string. I submitted my application in around mid January this year and got my call for the initial interview the beginning of March. I am scheduled to go in April 1, and from the sounds of it the TEA is given at the end of every month for the Service if you live in the wonderful D.C. area.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10149 users online. 481 members and 9668 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X