300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kdub1811 View Post
    Hey Jarhead, I think williamske was talking about you! You know how you jarheads can be! I had my fingerprints taken after my home interview. He said they should have been taken earlier but someone forgot to do it. Wait til your poly and they read you your miranda rights! Apparently, a few years ago a former soldier admitted to some executions during war times and ended up being charged for the murders!
    The good news is, I did not do any executions. I did a few snatch and grabs in support of the "OCF," but we just handed them over to the spooks and washed our hands of them.

Ah yes, the polygraph. NOT looking forward to that one.
    Big Brother is watching

Comment

• Nah my comments were not directed at anyone, just writing my thoughts on the conversation. If I am talking directly at you, you will know haha
      USSS 1811 SA Process
      07/09 - Applied
      10/09 - Scheduled TEA
      11/09 - TEA Exam
      12/09 - Initial
      12/09 - COE
      03/10 - Panel

FAM Process
      Referred for selection...waiting

NCIS 1811 SA Process
      01/10 - Applied

Comment

• Originally posted by williamske View Post
        Nah my comments were not directed at anyone, just writing my thoughts on the conversation. If I am talking directly at you, you will know haha
        Wait, are you my wife?
        Big Brother is watching

Comment

• Originally posted by williamske View Post
          The debate as to which "cookie cutter" SA applicant the agency is seeking does not apply. Having a well rounded workforce would benefit the agency. It would be foolish to make up a workforce of just "jarheads" or just "desk nerds". This is just my honest opinion. If you lack in one area the academy will bring you up to speed, or crush you - which ever comes first lol.

I was straight up with my interviewer and explained that I did not have any prior LE experience, I have only fired a gun a few times on a range in my free time, and have never had any formal combat training - he was fine with it. He told me that instructors would rather work with a blank slate than try and break someone's old habits. I have worked some club/bar security in the past and currently I am a federal employee. I told the interviewer that I felt my lack of LE experience was a weakness, but he assured me it wouldn't be. I might have just had a great interviewer at my initial.

They are getting candidates from all walks of life. I am just privileged to be in the process.
          This is me too williamske. I have virtually no firearms experience. I own a couple of guns, but very, very rarely ever shoot them. I mentioned this during my initial, panel, and in home and was told on all occasions not to worry about it. They said that in their eyes it is a plus because they don't have to break bad habits. They told me that the worst thing I could do would be to go to a range now and start shooting. They let me know that I would have all of the firearms experience I could ever want by the time I leave FLETC & Beltsville.

Comment

• I think the only thing that was annoying in the process is that you are in it for say 6 or 7 months, and you get notified by email. I mean, the least they could do was have the SAC call you.
            USSS

5/2009 - Applied
            7/2009 - TEA
            7/2009 - Initial Interview
            8/2009 - Conditional Offer and Submitted Forms
            10/2009 - Panel Interview
            12/22/2009 - Epic Failure

Comment

• Just to add my two cents on the type of candidates the USSS is looking for......

While having military experience never hurts, and I respect the hell out of you guys for serving our country, I don't believe that is a huge factor in this process. They are looking for people with life experience, that know how to deal with people and stressful situations. Personally, I work Loss Prevention at a retail store with a BS in education. In college, Federal Law Enforcement was never a thought, hell a year ago it wasn't a thought. I work plain clothes, I have arrested, detained, and interviewed over 400 people in the last six years. I have done nothing but watch and observe people's behaviors in that time. Is my job law enforcement? Not exactly. I work closely with law enforcement, I write reports that go to prosecutors, district attorneys and judges. I have worked financial crime investigations with our local Secret Service field office. I have never owned or fired a weapon and in my interviews, I asked if i should get some experience shooting. I was told emphatically no. They would rather have a blank slate.

Jlac, you were a sniper...i am sure you are extremely observant. I am a security guard lol, I would put my observation skills against yours any day. Thats not a challenge, but there are different avenues to gain the same skills.

Bottom line...the agency is looking for diverse people with diverse strengths. They will teach us the rest. They will teach us the proper response and I am sure there is a matrix telling us the proper reaction to each situation and it will be hammered into our heads time and time again until it is instinct.

Can't wait! Hope to see you all on the other side.

Merry Xmas everyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckeyeSA View Post
                Just to add my two cents on the type of candidates the USSS is looking for......

While having military experience never hurts, and I respect the hell out of you guys for serving our country, I don't believe that is a huge factor in this process. They are looking for people with life experience, that know how to deal with people and stressful situations. Personally, I work Loss Prevention at a retail store with a BS in education. In college, Federal Law Enforcement was never a thought, hell a year ago it wasn't a thought. I work plain clothes, I have arrested, detained, and interviewed over 400 people in the last six years. I have done nothing but watch and observe people's behaviors in that time. Is my job law enforcement? Not exactly. I work closely with law enforcement, I write reports that go to prosecutors, district attorneys and judges. I have worked financial crime investigations with our local Secret Service field office. I have never owned or fired a weapon and in my interviews, I asked if i should get some experience shooting. I was told emphatically no. They would rather have a blank slate.

Jlac, you were a sniper...i am sure you are extremely observant. I am a security guard lol, I would put my observation skills against yours any day. Thats not a challenge, but there are different avenues to gain the same skills.

Bottom line...the agency is looking for diverse people with diverse strengths. They will teach us the rest. They will teach us the proper response and I am sure there is a matrix telling us the proper reaction to each situation and it will be hammered into our heads time and time again until it is instinct.

Can't wait! Hope to see you all on the other side.

Merry Xmas everyone.
                Dang why are a few of you reading too much into what im trying to say. I know the agency is looking for all types of people, from many walks of life, im only saying that if the interviewing agent from your initial interview doesnt feel like you will be able to pull the trigger if need be, thats probably where the process will end for you. Just because I was a sniper, doesnt make me a better canidate than a janitor. Being a sniper may make my interview less stressful considering some of the interview will pertain to my experience as a sniper perhaps, and all I will have to do is talk about it. Im just saying that the initial interview is to eliminate canidates the interviewing agent doesnt think will be a good fit for the Service. So it must be something they are looking for in these canidates. Like you said, stressful situations is key, and they dont want individuals that is going to panic under such situations. That is why I said pull the trigger, because no matter how much training we all have, no one really know how it feels to pull the trigger with a live body in your aim of sight until you do it. It is not something that is easy to do. I know the Service want all types of people, but most importantly they want reliable people. Just because someone hasnt fired a weapon doesnt mean they will not do it, it is the confidence you display that gives off the sense of confidence to the interviewing agent that you will do it when necessary
                God Bless America

101st Airborne Division, Rakassans Air Assaultttttttt
                3rd Infantry Division, 2BCT

ICE 1811
                Applied: 6/22/09
                Exam: 7/24/2009
                SI/WA: 3/2/2010
                The Call: October 26, 2010
                PRESIDIO BOUND!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Just to throw in my anecdotal 2 cents for all of you applying to the USSS, the other half of my CITP class was USSS agents. There was a heavy concentration of ex-military, especially officers. Probably half of the class.

Also, only 1-2 of the 24 were people with no military or LE whatsoever. Like I said, that's just my little snapshot of the people the USSS is looking at, no idea what the actual numbers are.
                  Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

Comment

• Originally posted by jlac20 View Post
                    it is the confidence you display that gives off the sense of confidence to the interviewing agent that you will do it when necessary
                    I couldn't agree more. And I wasn't trying to single you out by mentioning your sniper experience, I was using that as an example of different ways to obtain the same skills. I am obviously not in the agency yet, so I really can't pretend to know what they are looking for. I wish I had some firearm experience, because I like to be prepared for everything coming at me. I am confident I will do well and will be on target, but I feel like I will be lagging in experience compared to other candidates.

But when we are practicing covert surveillance on subjects in Maryland-area shopping malls......lol, watch and learn.

We all bring something to the table, or we wouldn't be in the running. Right?

Comment

I wish I had some firearm experience, because I like to be prepared for everything coming at me. I am confident I will do well and will be on target, but I feel like I will be lagging in experience compared to other candidates.
                      The conventional wisdom is don't practice on your own, you'll just learn bad habits, etc. And I don't totally disagree with that. However, the firearms portion of CITP is extremely fast-paced. You will be qualifying probably by week 5 or 6. You get two chances for an official qualification, if you don't pass you are done. IMO there is not enough range time for a total beginner. is probably the most common way that people fail CITP. So, if you can get your hands on a Sig Sauer I don't think it would hurt you to at least familiarize yourself with the mechanics and the feel of the weapon.

Personally, I hadn't had any firearms experience for several years before I went to FLETC and I shot every weekend at the range in Jax on my own at my own expense and against the advice of instructors. I think it helped me, maybe it was all psychological, but just getting extra shooting time in was a big boost and I went from failing to almost perfect by qual day.
                      Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

Comment

I couldn't agree more. And I wasn't trying to single you out by mentioning your sniper experience, I was using that as an example of different ways to obtain the same skills. I am obviously not in the agency yet, so I really can't pretend to know what they are looking for. I wish I had some firearm experience, because I like to be prepared for everything coming at me. I am confident I will do well and will be on target, but I feel like I will be lagging in experience compared to other candidates.

But when we are practicing covert surveillance on subjects in Maryland-area shopping malls......lol, watch and learn.

We all bring something to the table, or we wouldn't be in the running. Right?
                        I think it depends on who is interviewing you as well. The SAIC that did my initial straight up told me that he thinks combat veterans are best suited for the job. He was an Army guy, so he might be a little baised towards us knuckledragging grunt types, whereas others might not be so impressed with decorated combat veterans.

Learning to shoot straight is one of the easiest things in the world to learn. Control your breathing, and squeeze the trigger slowly and steadily. What they say is true: people who "think" they are good shooters are often the ones sitting at the 500 yard line needing to hit black 8-9 times out of 10 to qualify as marksmen.

But, like I said...I've heard that plenty of people get hired on with no LE or military experience. So don't get discouraged. Your only real disadvantage comes when a military applicant beats you out by one point due to veterans preference
                        Big Brother is watching

Comment

• For what it's worth, there are only 3 or 4 people in my USSS SA class with no military or LE. Those few are the brainiac types hired for whatever specific education they brought to the table. I think it's safe to say that if all you have is a generic degree, you will have some very tough competition in the hiring process.
                          Last edited by Wilson; 12-23-2009, 04:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jarhead_FBI_SA View Post
                            I think it depends on who is interviewing you as well. The SAIC that did my initial straight up told me that he thinks combat veterans are best suited for the job. He was an Army guy, so he might be a little baised towards us knuckledragging grunt types, whereas others might not be so impressed with decorated combat veterans.
                            One of the major parts of a career in the Service are the relocations and the frequent travel and time away from home. I would generally think that military people are more likely to be tolerant of that, since they have done it before.

According to my USSS agent contacts, the general belief in the agency is that these are things that cause the most turnover, so they really try to weed out people that aren't likely to accept the lifestyle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wilson View Post
                              For what it's worth, there are only 3 or 4 people in my USSS SA class with no military or LE. Those few are the braniac types hired for whatever specific education they brought to the table. I think it's safe to say if all you have is a generic degree you will have some very tough competition in the hiring process.
                              I think everyone has some tough competition, regardless of experience. I have done everything I can to get this position and if i were to go to the hiring panel and not be selected because there were better qualified people, then so be it. All I am saying is that if being in law enforcement or the military were a major deciding factor, then it would have been a factor by now.

I don't mean this to degrade anyone or devalue anyones experience, this is a terrific and useful forum for us all to share information/opinions. You all have my respect and when/if we all arrive at training and enter the SA position, I hope, despite my "generic" degree and lack of meaningful experience, that I will have yours.

Comment

I think everyone has some tough competition, regardless of experience. I have done everything I can to get this position and if i were to go to the hiring panel and not be selected because there were better qualified people, then so be it. All I am saying is that if being in law enforcement or the military were a major deciding factor, then it would have been a factor by now.

I don't mean this to degrade anyone or devalue anyones experience, this is a terrific and useful forum for us all to share information/opinions. You all have my respect and when/if we all arrive at training and enter the SA position, I hope, despite my "generic" degree and lack of meaningful experience, that I will have yours.
                                Us, respect the POGs? NEVER!

Honestly, I hope everyone makes it that really wants it. There are probably a lot of applicants out there that have high-speed professional degrees and 4.0 GPAs that make me look like a mental midget. I also don't look down on the people who didn't join the military. It isn't for everybody, especially the combat arms branches...just like college isn't for a lot of career enlisted men. You go with what you bring to the table, and hope for the best.

I've suffered plenty of failure (FBI SA and DSS SA to name a few) for jobs which I "thought" I was qualified for. FBI didn't even give me a shot after Phase I, and DSS was looking for something other than just my combat and military intelligence experience. No harm in applying, and the only time you have 0% chance of getting hired is when you don't try.
                                Big Brother is watching

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10116 users online. 195 members and 9921 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X