300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1811orBust View Post
    That is actually illegal. The purpose of unlimited carry over of sick leave is because the government doesn't provide disability. Though, there has always been talk of allowing people to use accrued sick leave to retire early. At this point, it hasn't happened, nor do I see it happening any time soon.

Under public Law 111-84, you are entitled to get credit for your unused sick leave in your annuity calculation when you retire.

http://blogs.federaltimes.com/federa...-leave-credit/
    USSS 1811 SA Process
    07/09 - Applied
    10/09 - Scheduled TEA
    11/09 - TEA Exam
    12/09 - Initial
    12/09 - COE
    03/10 - Panel

FAM Process
    Referred for selection...waiting

NCIS 1811 SA Process
    01/10 - Applied

Comment

• Right, you are entitled to credit, not to take a year off and claim sickness .

Comment

Right, you are entitled to credit, not to take a year off and claim sickness .
        Yeah...I've known one or two that caught the dreaded Caribbeanitis for a month or two there at the end.
        Big Brother is watching

Comment

• It happens all the time. Drives me nuts. When people game the system, it screws the rest of us eventually.

Comment

• Originally posted by Up_On_Base
            Caribbeanitis?

Is that like when you drink too much and end up in a strange bed? Then perform the walk of shame in the early sunlight?

Also - Calls are going out for spring classes....fyi
            You must have never been in the Marines. There is no walk of shame. If at the end of the night all the dimes in the bar are spoken for, then any port in a storm my friend. However, if you weren't in a bar and you hadn't been drinking heavily when you took the quarter-tonner home...then you can expect ridicule, up to and including from your commanding officer. Just remember to drink heavily and maintain your statement that it was dark in the club.

As for the spring classes...good luck to everyone waiting on THE call. I'm still waiting on "a" call.
            Big Brother is watching

Comment

• Well, I got the dreaded no longer a candidate email today. It sucks, but at the same time, I feel honored to get as far as I did, good luck to everyone still in the process.
              USSS

5/2009 - Applied
              7/2009 - TEA
              7/2009 - Initial Interview
              8/2009 - Conditional Offer and Submitted Forms
              10/2009 - Panel Interview
              12/22/2009 - Epic Failure

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdog81 View Post
                Well, I got the dreaded no longer a candidate email today. It sucks, but at the same time, I feel honored to get as far as I did, good luck to everyone still in the process.
                Well, at least you got the conditional offer. Despite what some have told me...I still get that uncomfortable feeling that others have gotten an official COE and I haven't. I was handed a CD-ROM with all the forms to fill out as I walked out of the SAIC's office following my initial interview.

So, you left the initial...got a COE email, then a package sent to you in the mail to fill out?

Is it strange that I was handed the paperwork immediately after the initial? Good sign, bad sign? Should I check myself into the mental institution? I think I'm developing OCD.
                Big Brother is watching

Comment

• Originally posted by Jarhead_FBI_SA View Post
                  Well, at least you got the conditional offer. Despite what some have told me...I still get that uncomfortable feeling that others have gotten an official COE and I haven't. I was handed a CD-ROM with all the forms to fill out as I walked out of the SAIC's office following my initial interview.

So, you left the initial...got a COE email, then a package sent to you in the mail to fill out?

Is it strange that I was handed the paperwork immediately after the initial? Good sign, bad sign? Should I check myself into the mental institution? I think I'm developing OCD.
                  I wish I could tell you either way, but honestly I think just continue to be patient and hope for the best. I got the packet sent a couple weeks after the initial. After my Panel interview, I felt good, and after 8 weeks of waiting, I thought I had a shot, oh well, we live, we learn. Just think, by me being eliminated, that's one less you have to compete against. Good Luck.

I'm seriously thinking now of joining the airforce as an officer, kinda just hit that point in my life where you ask yourself, how much am I gaining as a background investigator.
                  USSS

5/2009 - Applied
                  7/2009 - TEA

Comment

I wish I could tell you either way, but honestly I think just continue to be patient and hope for the best. I got the packet sent a couple weeks after the initial. After my Panel interview, I felt good, and after 8 weeks of waiting, I thought I had a shot, oh well, we live, we learn. Just think, by me being eliminated, that's one less you have to compete against. Good Luck.

I'm seriously thinking now of joining the airforce as an officer, kinda just hit that point in my life where you ask yourself, how much am I gaining as a background investigator.
                    Air Force? AIR FORCE?? Have you never seen the worlds greatest recruiting video, Full Metal Jacket? I loved the Marines, and getting out was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. Give it a look. Good luck with whatever you do!
                    Big Brother is watching

Comment

Air Force? AIR FORCE?? Have you never seen the worlds greatest recruiting video, Full Metal Jacket? I loved the Marines, and getting out was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. Give it a look. Good luck with whatever you do!
                      Thank you! I also might look into AFOSI as a civilian hire.
                      USSS

5/2009 - Applied
                      7/2009 - TEA

Comment

I never received any additional paperwork after my initial. When I first applied, I received a email saying my application was not being processed because I didnt submit my SF86 so I needed to apply to another vacancy and submit the SF86 with my application. I applied again and was contacted by my local FO that I had some things on the SF86 I needed to complete. After the initial, all I have received is the COE which I received about a week ago. My initial was in November
                        God Bless America

101st Airborne Division, Rakassans Air Assaultttttttt
                        3rd Infantry Division, 2BCT

ICE 1811
                        Applied: 6/22/09
                        Exam: 7/24/2009
                        SI/WA: 3/2/2010
                        The Call: October 26, 2010
                        PRESIDIO BOUND!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

To be honest, unlike other agencies, I think USSS is looking for specific kind of canidates. I may be wrong, but I recall a question in my initial interview that has stuck with me. He asked me while at war, did I fire my weapon, and I replied yes, and he began to writing more. He asked did I kill anyone, I answered I didnt stick around to find out, he started writing even more. I think in all out honesty, they want canidates with weapon experience in stressful situations. Considering part of the job is protective details, they want individuals they know will pull the trigger. Despite the training every canidate will receive before actually working the job, no training can prepare you to take a life, and to lay your life on the line for others. I think military experience will do you wonders on top of you many accomplishments now.
                          God Bless America

ICE 1811
                          PRESIDIO BOUND!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• With all due respect, to say they want someone with weapon experience is a huge leap of guessing. Shooting a weapon never once came up during my panel, and while I have fired a weapon, I have not been to war. Nonetheless, many of us (myself included), breezed through the panel.

It's about how you portray yourself.

Comment

With all due respect, to say they want someone with weapon experience is a huge leap of guessing. Shooting a weapon never once came up during my panel, and while I have fired a weapon, I have not been to war. Nonetheless, many of us (myself included), breezed through the panel.

It's about how you portray yourself.
                              Im not saying thats what they want, but they are interested in canidates who have fired a weapon under conditions such as war. Not only war, but other professions as well where a weapon is part of your duty. I know for a fact, they want canidates that pay attention to detail, and canidates that will not think twice before pulling a trigger. My motto to my soldiers in war was if you feel a threat, identify the threat, and eliminate the threat, never think twice before you squeeze the trigger because that 1 sec can be the difference in you walking off the plane back home, or being carried off the plane back home.
                              God Bless America

ICE 1811
                              PRESIDIO BOUND!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by jlac20 View Post
                                To be honest, unlike other agencies, I think USSS is looking for specific kind of canidates. I may be wrong, but I recall a question in my initial interview that has stuck with me. He asked me while at war, did I fire my weapon, and I replied yes, and he began to writing more. He asked did I kill anyone, I answered I didnt stick around to find out, he started writing even more. I think in all out honesty, they want canidates with weapon experience in stressful situations. Considering part of the job is protective details, they want individuals they know will pull the trigger. Despite the training every canidate will receive before actually working the job, no training can prepare you to take a life, and to lay your life on the line for others. I think military experience will do you wonders on top of you many accomplishments now.
                                The experience you bring to the table is great but it is just another piece of the puzzle they are trying to put together to assist them in determining if they are going to recommend hiring or rejecting a candidate. The interviewers are constantly taking notes, either written notes or mental notes that they will jot down after the interview is complete to assist in their justification to continue or BQA the candidate. It is good you bring the experience to the table but it is just one piece of the puzzle, they are rating you on many other areas throughout the interview.

As for “pulling the trigger” during a protective detail....well the reality of it is that would be one of the last things they would want you to do. “Pulling the trigger” would actually be more useful in a raid or criminal investigative setting as opposed to a protective detail. I won't get into specifics regarding how or why they would react a certain way during a threat to their protectee, lethal or less than lethal. But one thing you can research for yourself is to look at past assassination attempts on U.S. leaders and you will see the protective detail very, very rarely stops the threat with firearms. I’m not saying certain individuals on a protective detail didn’t draw their firearm but they did not use their firearm to stop the threat. In fact the last time the USSS used firearms to thwart an assassination attempt was during the Truman administration at the Blair House. Of course you could also count the Chester Plumber and Robert Pickett incidents where each was shot by a USSS-UD Officer on or near the White House grounds but I don't think the USSS classifies those as assassination attempts because of the weapons each was using and their proximity to the protectee. This information regarding assassination attempts, including the ones I mentioned are readily available on the internet and are obviously unclassified information but it will give you a good idea about how little firearms are used during assassination attempts in our society.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6522 users online. 329 members and 6193 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X