Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Secret Service SA hiring process

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • That's really strange that you got dinged after the initial. I've never really heard of that. I mean the initial is basically a security check. Did you have some Background issues? If not, I would reapply.

    My initial was right after my TEA (they told us who passed and did it). It was a rubber stamp, then the panel followed a month later. You should find out what's going on there.

    Comment


    • Interesting. Why invite people to the TEA if they aren't really qualified then? That's a poor structure in my opinion, but then again I haven't cared much for the process the USSS uses. It seems very arbitrary. My panel was more of a conversation than an interview and I felt like that was a rubber stamp as well. Yet I read on here that some people have a far more intense panel. There isn't much consistency.

      Comment


      • I really liked the structure of the panel interview, it is my understanding that each panel interview consists of the same scenario based questions. The only variable being the agents doing your interview and the different follow up questions you may get based on your individual response. It isn't necessarily that you answer the questions correctly or not, the tip I was given by the SAC that did my initial was that they are looking for poise, maturity, and confidence.

        The interview isn't all about your qualifications, they are interviewing a potential co-worker. Would the candidate be cool to work with? are they well-spoken? can they articulate a clear thought, that makes sense and pertains to the question being asked? Will they throw people under the bus or will they accept personal responsibility? The panel is your opportunity to show the agency who you really are, not who you are on paper, so put your best foot forward.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by 1811orBust View Post
          Interesting. Why invite people to the TEA if they aren't really qualified then?
          Well, if you correctly completed the application and have the technical bare GS7/GS9 requirements, they might as well see if you can pass the test. Why invite everyone that meets those minimums? To knock out the people who aren't serious about it. When I took the test there were eight names on the list to take it that day. Only six of us even showed up. That's 25% less interviews right there.

          My FO was still running the old process for TEA testing where you take the test, a couple weeks later find out if you passed, and then a couple weeks later they schedule the Initial interview. Oddly enough, the same FO does the POST test (for UD) where you get the results immediately and are sent right in for your Initial interview.
          Applied USSS 1811 0809, TEA 1009, Initial 1109, BQA'd 1209

          Applied Federal Agency 0083 0310, Phone 1010

          Comment


          • received conditional offer today
            God Bless America

            101st Airborne Division, Rakassans Air Assaultttttttt
            3rd Infantry Division, 2BCT

            ICE 1811
            Applied: 6/22/09
            Exam: 7/24/2009
            SI/WA: 3/2/2010
            The Call: October 26, 2010
            PRESIDIO BOUND!!!!!!!!!!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by jlac20 View Post
              received conditional offer today
              I have no COE...but was told they would be calling me after the New Year for a panel.
              Big Brother is watching

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Jarhead_FBI_SA View Post
                I have no COE...but was told they would be calling me after the New Year for a panel.
                Yea like they say, each FO does it differently. The only thing is, my CO came from headquarters, and not the FO, but ohwell, it doesnt mean nothing except I got pass the intitial
                God Bless America

                101st Airborne Division, Rakassans Air Assaultttttttt
                3rd Infantry Division, 2BCT

                ICE 1811
                Applied: 6/22/09
                Exam: 7/24/2009
                SI/WA: 3/2/2010
                The Call: October 26, 2010
                PRESIDIO BOUND!!!!!!!!!!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by nevet
                  For those of you on here who have taken the TEA, how does it compare to other tests you may have taken for other jobs? (ie CBP exam, Air Force Officer Qual. Test, SAT, ACT, ASVAB, written exam for DSS, etc)

                  Is the math on the TEA mainly arithmetic reasoning?
                  Harder than the FBI Phase I, harder than the DSS written test, and easier than the ASTB (Navy & Marine Corps equivalent to AFOQT). I've passed them all, but the ASTB was by far the hardest exam I've ever taken in my life. Study up on your math, nail the verbal, and pray on the investigative questions.

                  I passed the TEA, but those investigation questions were very vague and seemed like some had no GOOD answer. I knew I did ok on the math, and nailed the verbal. I'm still not sure on the investigative questions. The TEA math is sort of applied math. Some algebra, geometry, and word problems involving things such as tax rates and such.
                  Big Brother is watching

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by nevet
                    For those of you on here who have taken the TEA, how does it compare to other tests you may have taken for other jobs? (ie CBP exam, Air Force Officer Qual. Test, SAT, ACT, ASVAB, written exam for DSS, etc)

                    Is the math on the TEA mainly arithmetic reasoning?
                    In other words...go get the ARCO book. It is identical to the TEA, in my opinion.
                    Big Brother is watching

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by jlac20 View Post
                      Yea like they say, each FO does it differently. The only thing is, my CO came from headquarters, and not the FO, but ohwell, it doesnt mean nothing except I got pass the intitial
                      Well, hopefully we'll make it through together and hit FLETC. We can throw rocks at the DSS nerds who passed
                      Big Brother is watching

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Jarhead_FBI_SA View Post
                        Well, hopefully we'll make it through together and hit FLETC. We can throw rocks at the DSS nerds who passed
                        Yea just no big rocks to leave concussions, we gonna need em with us out on the streets.
                        God Bless America

                        101st Airborne Division, Rakassans Air Assaultttttttt
                        3rd Infantry Division, 2BCT

                        ICE 1811
                        Applied: 6/22/09
                        Exam: 7/24/2009
                        SI/WA: 3/2/2010
                        The Call: October 26, 2010
                        PRESIDIO BOUND!!!!!!!!!!

                        Comment


                        • w8ing2hear

                          w8ing2hear

                          Sorry to hear about the email. You can reapply can't you? Did you actually take the TEA? If so, then you won't have to take it next time right. Either way good luck to you. Thanks for your efforts and initiative in keeping us updated on the movements.

                          Comment


                          • Consistency...

                            Originally posted by 1811orBust View Post
                            Interesting. Why invite people to the TEA if they aren't really qualified then? That's a poor structure in my opinion, but then again I haven't cared much for the process the USSS uses. It seems very arbitrary. My panel was more of a conversation than an interview and I felt like that was a rubber stamp as well. Yet I read on here that some people have a far more intense panel. There isn't much consistency.
                            You make a good point. However, consistency in situations like this are directly connected to predictability and complacency so it is possible that these inconsistencies are intentional for the specific purpose of preventing both. Most intelligence/security/counter-intel training, emphasizes the benefit of being unpredictable without loosing the details. After all, this would have to be the highest level of security there is, therefore requiring the highest level of unpredictability or "inconsistency" there could be. I believe the USSS takes this practice to the extreme at every level.
                            That said, I hated the poly (note:breaking wind during the test is not recommended) and put little stock into the test itself rather than the process which keeps an individual off balance therefore presenting a more accurate picture of the applicant.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by MAD_DOG View Post
                              You make a good point. However, consistency in situations like this are directly connected to predictability and complacency so it is possible that these inconsistencies are intentional for the specific purpose of preventing both. Most intelligence/security/counter-intel training, emphasizes the benefit of being unpredictable without loosing the details. After all, this would have to be the highest level of security there is, therefore requiring the highest level of unpredictability or "inconsistency" there could be. I believe the USSS takes this practice to the extreme at every level.
                              That said, I hated the poly (note:breaking wind during the test is not recommended) and put little stock into the test itself rather than the process which keeps an individual off balance therefore presenting a more accurate picture of the applicant.
                              Great analysis!

                              Comment


                              • I recieved the COE email today. I guess now i wait for a call for my panel?
                                USSS 1811 SA Process
                                07/09 - Applied
                                10/09 - Scheduled TEA
                                11/09 - TEA Exam
                                12/09 - Initial
                                12/09 - COE
                                03/10 - Panel

                                FAM Process
                                Referred for selection...waiting

                                NCIS 1811 SA Process
                                01/10 - Applied

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 10442 users online. 383 members and 10059 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X