300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by w8ing2hear View Post
    I'd like to know the answer to that as well... what's a typical day/week at FLETC CITP like? And at RTC?

Particularly the PT, but also how the PT fits into the overall schedule of the day/week. Is it every day? Is it more than once per day? How intensive is it? Obviously don't describe details if that's classified, but what are we going to face in general.

I just did a self-test this morning of sit/push/pull-ups and plan to run this afternoon. I can hit the push/sit/pull-up test numbers just fine and should hit Fair or Good on the run, but my body is not at all used to being pushed hard every day with intense aerobic workouts and would likely break down in that sort of environment.

No matter how strongly I might want to be an agent (very much so), it would not be wise to quit a current career/job and go off to FLETC and RTC training only to wash out from injury because the PT was excessive. No matter how well I interview, no matter how clean my background, or how adept at learning new things and studying and passing the fitness tests and learning the protection skills - for someone who's in good health and can get 12-14 points if tested today, but isn't built for repeated extended endurance/aerobic exercise, can they wash you out for not keeping up during PT even though you can test just fine?

The more we can know in advance as to what to expect, especially physically, would be very much appreciated, not only for preparing oneself but also for deciding whether or not this is a realistic endeavor and career change. I know the job itself is what I would like to do; my concern is getting through the training.
    To be honest, I find long runs to be easier than the short distance runs. Of course, this could be part of my Marine Corps lobotomy, but I'd much rather run 5+ miles at an 8 minute pace than run 3 miles at a 6:30-7:00 mile pace. If most of the PT at FLETC is of the 5 mile group run variety, I will be thrilled. You just have to learn not to quit on yourself. And when you train, never do the same thing over and over. You should be trying to shave minutes (or seconds) off your run time every time you hit the track. Getting into a rut and never pushing yourself past your comfort zone wont benefit you as much.
    Big Brother is watching

Comment

• Well, I just started running in April 2009, when I found out I was in the running for this job (no pun intended). Prior to that I hadn't run in about 15 years. When I started I could only do .50 miles in about 5 minutes. Now I do a mile in about 8 minutes and 1.5 miles in about 10-12 minutes. It took me a good 2-3 months to break the 1 mile wall. Then another 1-2 months to break the 1.5 mile wall. I can now run about 2 miles, but it takes about 18-20 minutes.

So, I have the same concerns as W9ing2hear...if I have to run for 40 minutes straight or go 3-5 miles at a certain pace, I will likely die I'm tryi

Comment

• Originally posted by raptured_00 View Post
        Well, I just started running in April 2009, when I found out I was in the running for this job (no pun intended). Prior to that I hadn't run in about 15 years. When I started I could only do .50 miles in about 5 minutes. Now I do a mile in about 8 minutes and 1.5 miles in about 10-12 minutes. It took me a good 2-3 months to break the 1 mile wall. Then another 1-2 months to break the 1.5 mile wall. I can now run about 2 miles, but it takes about 18-20 minutes.

So, I have the same concerns as W9ing2hear...if I have to run for 40 minutes straight or go 3-5 miles at a certain pace, I will likely die I'm tryi
        15 years ago I was a freshman in high school......
        Big Brother is watching

Comment

• Originally posted by Jarhead_FBI_SA View Post
          To be honest, I find long runs to be easier than the short distance runs. Of course, this could be part of my Marine Corps lobotomy, but I'd much rather run 5+ miles at an 8 minute pace than run 3 miles at a 6:30-7:00 mile pace. If most of the PT at FLETC is of the 5 mile group run variety, I will be thrilled. You just have to learn not to quit on yourself. And when you train, never do the same thing over and over. You should be trying to shave minutes (or seconds) off your run time every time you hit the track. Getting into a rut and never pushing yourself past your comfort zone wont benefit you as much.
          I hear ya on the long runs. I actually hate the 1.5 mile on the PT test because you're basically trying to sprint the whole thing to get the best time. I'd much rather run 5 miles at a more comfortable pace.

As far as the PT in general goes, I'm not really worried about it. If I was overweight, I'd be sweating it, but for me its just a matter of getting stronger and faster. You'd be surprised what you can do when you're scared of whats going to happen if you DON'T do it.

Comment

• Well here is my take on it. I have completed CITP and I also went to Beltsville prior to becoming an ATF Agent. The PT is not difficult while in CITP. The more difficult PT will be at Beltsville but that comes after you have already been working out at CITP for 3 months. The USSS also makes you do USSS PT while at FLETC during CITP. That will be more intense than what you do in CITP but it's to build you up to be ready for Beltsville. None of it is impossible and all the standards are reasonable. While at FLETC the USSS staff will randomly show up to your class and tell you to be ready for PT after class. You will also have USSS PT before class. Again it's all to get you ready for Beltsville. Once you get to Beltsville, regardless of how good of shape you are in, they will beat you down. It's done in typical military fashion. They will have the instructors who are the fastest runners take you out on the run. They will have the strongest instructors do your push-ups and so on. They never have the same instructor take you through the entire workout to ensure the instructor is fresh and ready to push you.

Comment

• Originally posted by shortcop View Post
              I hear ya on the long runs. I actually hate the 1.5 mile on the PT test because you're basically trying to sprint the whole thing to get the best time. I'd much rather run 5 miles at a more comfortable pace.
              Completely agree. I run quite a bit, but every time I do a timed 1.5-miler, I stress about it. I think the nervousness and stress alone adds 20 seconds to the time, ha.

Comment

• Originally posted by BATF4710 View Post
                Well here is my take on it. I have completed CITP and I also went to Beltsville prior to becoming an ATF Agent. The PT is not difficult while in CITP. The more difficult PT will be at Beltsville but that comes after you have already been working out at CITP for 3 months. The USSS also makes you do USSS PT while at FLETC during CITP. That will be more intense than what you do in CITP but it's to build you up to be ready for Beltsville. None of it is impossible and all the standards are reasonable. While at FLETC the USSS staff will randomly show up to your class and tell you to be ready for PT after class. You will also have USSS PT before class. Again it's all to get you ready for Beltsville. Once you get to Beltsville, regardless of how good of shape you are in, they will beat you down. It's done in typical military fashion. They will have the instructors who are the fastest runners take you out on the run. They will have the strongest instructors do your push-ups and so on. They never have the same instructor take you through the entire workout to ensure the instructor is fresh and ready to push you.
                Nice. Double the fun at FLETC. I'm sure the USSS has some insane marathon freak waiting to torture me in Beltsville (if I ever make it there). So I suppose being put through the wringer prior to getting there is a good thing.
                Big Brother is watching

Comment

• Originally posted by Jarhead_FBI_SA View Post
                  15 years ago I was a freshman in high school......
                  Me too! That's the problem.

Comment

• Well, I have been browsing these forums for awhile now, and I decided to sign up. I am currently trying to become a Special Agent, and I did find this thread very helpful. So far this has been my time line, so feel free to add me to the list.

5/1/2009 - Application Submitted
                    7/1/2009 - Took the TEA
                    7/9/2009 - Notice of Passing the TEA
                    7/24/2009 - Initial Interview
                    8/1/2009 - Conditional Offer Letter Received
                    8/29/2009 - Packet Received, SF86 and forms submitted
                    10/23/2009 - Panel Interview
                    USSS

5/2009 - Applied
                    7/2009 - TEA
                    7/2009 - Initial Interview
                    8/2009 - Conditional Offer and Submitted Forms
                    10/2009 - Panel Interview
                    12/22/2009 - Epic Failure

Comment

• ....the good ole' days!

Originally posted by raptured_00 View Post
                      Me too! That's the problem.
                      I too, 15 years ago, was thinking about drivers ed and getting excited about getting my first job in the near future! If anyone has any advice on helping me increase my running distance and/or times please feel free to shoot me a PM. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Comment

• http://www.halhigdon.com/5K%20Training/index.htm

Hal Higdon is the way to go. Use his 5k programs to build speed and he generally incorporates longer runs at slower paces at least once per week.

Running is just that. Putting feet to pavement is the only way you will get better at it.

Comment

• I just wanted to get a feeler on what kind of shot I have at getting picked up, and then upon passing training. I am a background investigator for a federal contractor, but its an unarmed position, and there are no physical standards. I am kind of undersized for my height, but that has always been the case and I have a hard time at putting on weight, though there isn't anything wrong with my metabolism. I am 5-11/6-0 range and weight about 155, trying to get in the 170 range. I am in decent shape, definitely need to work on the running, but as far as situps and pullups i'm fine. Pushups have never been a strong point, but I can work on that as well. I have no prior law enforcement experience, but I have a degree, and am half done with a masters degree, plus I have 3+ years experience doing investigations.

Honestly, I try to be as positive as I can, and I know I have a good job at the end of the day if this doesn't pan out, but I would like to get a feel if any of the training is unrealistic in a sense, or how to train for it.
                          USSS

5/2009 - Applied
                          7/2009 - TEA

Comment

• 15 years ago I was a college sophomore. ay maron!
                            Fear the darkness, for I am in it

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdog81 View Post
                              I just wanted to get a feeler on what kind of shot I have at getting picked up, and then upon passing training. I am a background investigator for a federal contractor, but its an unarmed position, and there are no physical standards. I am kind of undersized for my height, but that has always been the case and I have a hard time at putting on weight, though there isn't anything wrong with my metabolism. I am 5-11/6-0 range and weight about 155, trying to get in the 170 range. I am in decent shape, definitely need to work on the running, but as far as situps and pullups i'm fine. Pushups have never been a strong point, but I can work on that as well. I have no prior law enforcement experience, but I have a degree, and am half done with a masters degree, plus I have 3+ years experience doing investigations.

Honestly, I try to be as positive as I can, and I know I have a good job at the end of the day if this doesn't pan out, but I would like to get a feel if any of the training is unrealistic in a sense, or how to train for it.
                              Noticed on your timeline that you received a Conditional Offer before your panel? Is that normal? I am still waiting to get invited to the panel, but wasn't aware that they give conditional offers somewhere along the way.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyer2007 View Post
                                Noticed on your timeline that you received a Conditional Offer before your panel? Is that normal? I am still waiting to get invited to the panel, but wasn't aware that they give conditional offers somewhere along the way.
                                Yeah, I got an email conditional offer in July, and then the panel just happened this past friday.
                                USSS

5/2009 - Applied
                                7/2009 - TEA

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13540 users online. 486 members and 13054 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X