Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shortcop View Post
    In regard to the TEA...

Exactly how long are your scores good for? Is there even a set time period?

The reason I ask is, I applied to the USSS last September and took the TEA in February 2009. I passed the test and was advised that the next step was the Security Interview. However, due to a family emergency, I withdrew my application prior to the security interview. I later received a notice in June (dated June 15th, 2009) advising me that I had passed the TEA exam with a score of 88. I have since reapplied to the current vacancy, which states that the next TEA exam will be administered in early December.

So will my scores still be considered valid? I'm obviously willing to take it again if I have to, it will just be a minor annoyance. I've heard through the grape vine that the TEA exam scores are only good for 6 months. That seems kind of silly to me as I seriously doubt the exam has changed much since I last took it.
    The USSS administrator at my TEA exam said scores are good for life, providing you maintain that record of a passing score.
    Big Brother is watching

Comment

• shortcop: How did you get a notice with your actual score? I received the Pass email but it says "this is the only record you will receive" and does not list a score.
      Applied USSS 1811 0809, TEA 1009, Initial 1109, BQA'd 1209

Applied Federal Agency 0083 0310, Phone 1010

Comment

• post deleted
        Last edited by soflafed; 10-31-2011, 03:16 AM.

Comment

• post deleted
          Last edited by soflafed; 10-31-2011, 03:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by siggyfreud View Post
            I'm sure you both did fine

Do you have to pass with a 70 percent average of the three sections, or a 70 percent in each section?

Can anyone who has taken the TEA confirm this? Is it 70% overall, or 70% on each individual section? Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by kid_dynamite View Post
              Can anyone who has taken the TEA confirm this? Is it 70% overall, or 70% on each individual section? Thanks.
              Overall. If it were 70% on every section, I would have not passed the math
              Big Brother is watching

Comment

• Originally posted by kid_dynamite View Post
                Not sure exactly, but I'll say this. I came away from it completely unsure of how I did. I felt like I could have gotten anywhere from a 65 to an 85, and ended up with an 88. The verbal reasoning and problems for investigation are easy. Just get the study guide and practice a few of them and you'll get the hang of it. The math is the hardest part. There are only 20 math questions, I believe. I felt like I was fairly certain of my answers to half of them. Then there were about 5 that I thought I might have the right answer, but wasn't completely sure. Then there were 5 that I just completely guessed. And I did alright. Just practice.

Comment

• Originally posted by w8ing2hear View Post
                  shortcop: How did you get a notice with your actual score? I received the Pass email but it says "this is the only record you will receive" and does not list a score.
                  Then make sure you save that email, along with headers and everything. Also, how long ago did you take it? Like I said, I took the test in February and was notified within a week via telephone that I had passed, but didn't receive any documentation. I didn't get notification that I had passed (with a score of 88) until June... 4 months later AFTER I had already withdrawn from the process. This is just a guess, but Im thinking that they might purposely withhold your results for a longer period of time so that you can't take the TEA for them and then immediately drop out of the process and use your TEA scores for another agency. Just a guess, but it makes sense. Other than the IRS, though, I'm not really sure who else even uses the TEA anymore? Marshals did away with a written test altogether and the ATF just started using their own test.

PS: My letter was on USSS letterhead and signed by the Chief of the Support Divison.
                  Last edited by shortcop; 10-22-2009, 08:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by soflafed View Post
                    You ain't gonna be kicking in any doors brother. Please don't have any misconceptions.
                    I have no misconceptions about that with the USSS. I fully don't expect to be going house to house kicking in doors.
                    Big Brother is watching

Comment

• Originally posted by Jarhead_FBI_SA View Post
                      I have no misconceptions about that with the USSS. I fully don't expect to be going house to house kicking in doors.
                      But really, how many jobs, Federal or otherwise, allow you to do that? Most agencies use tact teams for entries, so unless you are on a tact team, I just don't see it happening that often.

Comment

• If you want to kick in doors on a regular basis, join a major city police department. That is by far your best bet if that is what you want.
                        Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

Comment

But really, how many jobs, Federal or otherwise, allow you to do that? Most agencies use tact teams for entries, so unless you are on a tact team, I just don't see it happening that often.
                          DEA Agents do it plenty.
                          Big Brother is watching

Comment

Then make sure you save that email, along with headers and everything. Also, how long ago did you take it? Like I said, I took the test in February and was notified within a week via telephone that I had passed, but didn't receive any documentation. I didn't get notification that I had passed (with a score of 88) until June... 4 months later AFTER I had already withdrawn from the process. This is just a guess, but Im thinking that they might purposely withhold your results for a longer period of time so that you can't take the TEA for them and then immediately drop out of the process and use your TEA scores for another agency. Just a guess, but it makes sense. Other than the IRS, though, I'm not really sure who else even uses the TEA anymore? Marshals did away with a written test altogether and the ATF just started using their own test.

PS: My letter was on USSS letterhead and signed by the Chief of the Support Divison.
                            No...ATF,IRS, and other agencies that administer the "TEA" will not take scores from the USSS version. This is because there is a curve added.

Comment

• Originally posted by 2themax45 View Post
                              No...ATF,IRS, and other agencies that administer the "TEA" will not take scores from the USSS version. This is because there is a curve added.
                              I think ATF doesn't use the TEA at all anymore, and calls it the Special Agent Exam.
                              Big Brother is watching

Comment

Last edited by w8ing2hear; 10-23-2009, 01:57 PM.
                                Applied USSS 1811 0809, TEA 1009, Initial 1109, BQA'd 1209

Applied Federal Agency 0083 0310, Phone 1010

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8370 users online. 421 members and 7949 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X