300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jlac20 View Post
    Just got the word I passed the TEA. Now i can quit crying myself to sleep at night!!!!!!! Now let the selling begin
    Great news. Your timeline is roughly similar to mine, so maybe we'll continue the inter-service rivalry at FLETC.
    Big Brother is watching

Comment

• Originally posted by Up_On_Base
      You dont pay for room/board at FLETC or JJRTC for the SA spot (UD must have own apt, its their duty station).

You will stay in a hotel during JJRTC and get paid per diem.
      Perhaps I mis-communicated. I mean here, where I live today, even when I go off to training, I must continue to pay rent or mortgage here while I am away in training. Yes, the housing on site at training is free, but meanwhile I must pay my lease or mortgage back at home. Most people aren't going to give up their lease or sell their home in the short time between receiving the offer and starting FLETC, and put all their belongings in storage, and have all their mail stopped or forwarded to FLETC (and then 10 weeks later to Beltsville). Most people would keep their existing things going and looked after while they are away, especially if they are going to return there after training, but even if they aren't (perhaps because their assigned field office is in some other geographic region), they have likely started to pay a lease or mortgage to lock down a home/apartment near the new FO.

So, one's housing costs do not magically disappear while they are away at training. But you are correct that one doesn't have to pay additionally for housing at training.

jlac: congrats! had a feeling you'd get the good news soon enough
      Last edited by w8ing2hear; 10-20-2009, 04:14 PM.
      Applied USSS 1811 0809, TEA 1009, Initial 1109, BQA'd 1209

Applied Federal Agency 0083 0310, Phone 1010

Comment

• mortgage

I agree with you. Thats been one of my biggest concerns. I have to worry about my wife, but also have to think about selling the house quick so we don't run into paying a mortgage and for a place in the new place. It's like being stuck between a rock and a hard place! And for myself, I haven't been in my home more than a few years, so I don't have tons of equity in it yet, so that makes it hard to sell and not be in the negative. And everyone knows how crapy the market is right now. So, yes, I agree with you. I share the same concern!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jarhead_FBI_SA View Post
          Great news. Your timeline is roughly similar to mine, so maybe we'll continue the inter-service rivalry at FLETC.
          Yea, hope you got your bball skills tight.

Originally posted by w8ing2hear View Post
          Perhaps I mis-communicated. I mean here, where I live today, even when I go off to training, I must continue to pay rent or mortgage here while I am away in training. Yes, the housing on site at training is free, but meanwhile I must pay my lease or mortgage back at home, or lose my home, etc. It's not like most people are going to give up their lease or sell their home in the short time between receiving the offer and starting FLETC, and put all their belongings in storage, and have all their mail forwarded to FLETC (and then 10 weeks later to Beltsville). That makes no sense. Most people would keep their existing things going while they are away, especially if they are going to return there after training, but even if they aren't because their assigned field office is in some other geographic region, they are most likely starting to pay a lease or mortgage to lock down a home near there.

So no, one's housing costs do not magically disappear while they are away at training. But you are correct that one doesn't have to pay yet again for housing at training.

jlac: congrats! had a feeling you'd get the good news soon enough
          yea i was stressing a lil over the test
          God Bless America

101st Airborne Division, Rakassans Air Assaultttttttt
          3rd Infantry Division, 2BCT

ICE 1811
          Applied: 6/22/09
          Exam: 7/24/2009
          SI/WA: 3/2/2010
          The Call: October 26, 2010
          PRESIDIO BOUND!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• As far as locations, what's the deal with their international locations? Are only more senior agents assigned there? Are those more liaison and protection assignments than actual case-related work?
            Last edited by w8ing2hear; 10-20-2009, 08:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by siggyfreud View Post
              The SA I spoke with mentioned that trainees in the academy now DO get LEAP.
              +1 that is true!

Comment

• Originally posted by 1811orBust View Post
                No LEAP at FLETC, not sure about Beltsville.
                I've been getting leap since day 1, including FLETC

Comment

• Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                  Bet you can't wait to be back in DC metro...better locality pay
                  It will be a while til I see DC pay. I'm going somewhere warm for my first assignment

Guys/Gals, since I have your attention, CITP at FLETC is not a joke. Especially the USSS version with added 5am pt sessions. You will also have to score higher on your tests than your non-USSS classmates; there is a USSS standard for everything - and it is higher than FLETC's. Be prepared or you will be in for a surprise. The Service is not that big. Poor performance in fletc will get back to your office, and will be remembered by your classmates who might be your boss someday. Crank that up about 10 times and you have Beltsville. You need to be in tip top shape, because depending on how strong you are academically, combined with the general stress of the schedule, you won't have a whole lot of time to work out on your own.

While I'm at it, I'll address a few popular FLETC questions. Definitely bring a car if there is ANY way you can. At the end of the day it's nice to go to dinner on your schedule, rather than wait for the FLETC bus that may or may not come. Bring a printer, unless you want to sit in the library on a regular basis writing ops plans and such. Wireless internet is available in the Taj, but you have to pay for it. Realize that there is a real world way to do things, and a FLETC way, so regardless of your 87 years experience on the Unabomber task force, the correct answer is always, "Yes sir, I didn't think of it that way. That's a good point".

2 suits are all you need, the taj has tv's and free cable. I haven't been in the other barracks, but I peered through a window once and it looked like it sucked (half the size plus a roomate). The EPO's are your friend - you will find out what that means when you get there. Hook up with the smarter people in your class, divide and conquer - split up the testable areas and type up some study guides. One person in my class thought that was a waste of time and he is at home right now looking for a job. Get a flu shot, stay away from the dessert bar, and keep your attitude in check. I hope this helps someone.
                  Last edited by Wilson; 10-20-2009, 10:22 PM.

Comment

• Thanks Wilson! Any advice from someone who's BTDT is more than welcome.

Comment

• If anyone has any training questions feel free to pm me. I remember what it was like sifting through all the info trying to find answers from the right people. Disclaimer: I'm not done yet, so I can only answer what I've already done, but I'll tell you straight up what's happened so far. I may post your question and my response (with your name removed) for the benefit of the masses.

I just had a question regarding computers. You should bring your own, and pay for the fletc wireless (write it off next year if that offends you). The USSS laptop you will be issued is dialup only, and the dialup sucks. Right when you need to send an assignment to an instructor, it won't work. Then you'll be getting up at 0 dark 30 or staying late to hit the computer lab. Bring your own equipment and enjoy a cold beer while you do your homework rather than sit at the lab waiting for a swine flu infested keyboard.

Comment

• Are personal labtops that utilize mobile WIFI internet acceptable? For those of us with a Verizon or Sprint type setup.

Comment

• Originally posted by siggyfreud View Post
                          Are personal labtops that utilize mobile WIFI internet acceptable? For those of us with a Verizon or Sprint type setup.
                          yes, but not having used that, I dont know how reliable it would be. I had to stand next to my window to get a cell signal. Add a bluetooth headset to your packing list if you want to accomplish anything while talking on the phone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wilson View Post
                            yes, but not having used that, I dont know how reliable it would be. I had to stand next to my window to get a cell signal. Add a bluetooth headset to your packing list if you want to accomplish anything while talking on the phone.

Well if I make it that far, I'll surely be PM'ing you for a 'things to pack' list .

Comment

• Originally posted by kdub1811 View Post
                              Check amazon.com or barnesandnoble.com. i've had really good luck with barnes and noble. you can usually get new and used books from them and they are usually in really good condition.
                              I checked both websites and they are out of stock and the people that have it used are asking $150..they can get bent with that price..Is the learning express test book any good???
                              "Take A Knee, Face Out, and Drink Water"

Comment

• Originally posted by kryszewl View Post
                                I checked both websites and they are out of stock and the people that have it used are asking $150..they can get bent with that price..Is the learning express test book any good???
                                Just get the regular TEA study guide, its just as good. I think it cost about $15
                                God Bless America

101st Airborne Division, Rakassans Air Assaultttttttt
                                3rd Infantry Division, 2BCT

ICE 1811
                                Applied: 6/22/09
                                Exam: 7/24/2009
                                SI/WA: 3/2/2010
                                The Call: October 26, 2010
                                PRESIDIO BOUND!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12240 users online. 456 members and 11784 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X