300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PGCop
    How in the hell do they expect you to survive paying for your own move and making GS7 pay in any of those places? I bet that guy is single and living in a one bedroom apartment.
    He said theres a lot of OT available. Plus theres COLA and LEAP. He also said its not uncommon for within 5-7 years to be making 6 figures after OT + COLA + LEAP, if you're aggressive about the OT.

Comment

• Just fumbled into this post after putting my application in today (via fax). How long does this process normally take? a year or so? also, being from PA they will probably forward my app to the harrisburg field office but I may have better luck shooting it to Baltimore (larger market). Any suggestions on who to fax it too down there or should I just wait now that I already sent a fax?

Comment

• Originally posted by Up_On_Base
        Don't plan on a ton of OT for a SA spot. That is the reason you get LEAP, Overtime for UD/0083 is a no brainer but OT for agents needs to be scheduled in advance.

Part of the reason you get %25 LEAP is to cover hours which is normally paid via OT. Jizzoe007 can probably give better details on this from an USSS-SA point of view, I was UD so it was a different pay scale...just going off what I remember from working in town details w/ SA.

In regards to FO's out of training many of the new guys are getting NYC, SF, LA, and some Miami. There are always exceptions but that is what I hear from my friends still in the Service (both UD and SA's).

Base is pretty much on the spot regarding OT in the Service. The Field Office guys/gals work for "free" under LEAP more times than they care to think about. The Field Office Agents are the ones that get calls in the middle of the night with the "be there for this at that time" routine and because it's a last second thing it is not scheduled therefore falls under LEAP.

With that said ... your "money-maker" spots are in small detail protective divisions where Operations has a lot more foresight and ability to schedule the overtime. Once it's on the schedule and you work those hours .... it's all yours. However, you will have your fair share of "working for free" moments as anything that is planned will ultimately blow up in your face and adjustments will be made "on the fly" ... or in other words you're screwed.

Comment

• xxxxxxxxxx
          Last edited by LawDog99; 09-08-2011, 11:59 PM.

Comment

• Awesome forum and decided to join. I have searched on here and wasn't able to find my answer. I was given a 1 weeks notice to take the TEA. I am psyched about it but have just one week to prep I have the test prep hand book. Just wondering if any of you have/had the same situation and the results. It's just kinda hard to study and work 44 hours this week! lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATLiens View Post
              Awesome forum and decided to join. I have searched on here and wasn't able to find my answer. I was given a 1 weeks notice to take the TEA. I am psyched about it but have just one week to prep I have the test prep hand book. Just wondering if any of you have/had the same situation and the results. It's just kinda hard to study and work 44 hours this week! lol.
              Same for me I had about 1 and 1/2 weeks to study and the work/school did not help. I had the Arco study guide which was great. I just treated it like cramming for a test. The test is challenging but not extremely difficult, timing is very important. I passed the test, got the results in a week.
              Standing by to stand by

Comment

• Originally posted by Jizzoe007 View Post
                Let me clear up something here people, as a Special Agent in the Service, nothing and I mean nothing is "unfailable", with regards to the hiring process. My field office just sent out 12 thin letters to people who failed the Initial Interview for various reasons. I have also seen people taken out of the process for showing up to the field office just to drop off a piece of paper and they were not courteous or were dressed sloppy. Keep in mind that anytime you step into a field office you are being evaluated. Always be professional and don't expect anything to go fast this year, due to the campaign, like my recruiter always told me, "this is a marathon, not a sprint, be patient." Good luck everybody.
                It's not "unfailable" of course, I just said that to be funny. But to be serious..it's not as hard as the panel by any means. Just study the history of USSS and understand the job. Be on your top game anywhere and all the time during the process

Comment

• Originally posted by ATLiens View Post
                  Awesome forum and decided to join. I have searched on here and wasn't able to find my answer. I was given a 1 weeks notice to take the TEA. I am psyched about it but have just one week to prep I have the test prep hand book. Just wondering if any of you have/had the same situation and the results. It's just kinda hard to study and work 44 hours this week! lol.
                  I was also only given one week to prep. I used the LearningExpress TEA Exam book which I DO NOT recommend. I passed the test but I attribute none of that to the book. While it gives you a good idea about the sections on the test, It does not prepare you at all for the math. There wasn't a single math question on the test that resembled anything I had studied in the book. I hear the Arco book is better. Definitely review percentages. Good luck!

Comment

• So, I took the test this morning. 37 applicants at charlotte, I got an 88, and would say that approx 20 passed the test. Math was not as hard as what I practiced in the arco guide, about the same as the learning express. Did the initial interview, now we wait. Agents were saying that you get one choice, not the three I am hearing on here? Does anybody want my study guides? If anybody has a few weeks to get ready, ill ship either or both to you for shipping cost, if you promise to send it to someone else when done and any tips for the panel interview would be useful, if i get that far

Comment

• That's good that you passed. I was one of the unfortunate ones. I was told that I missed it by two points (they prob tell everyone that). So I was advised to reschedule in one month. I would say the math was difficult but I also didn't get a chance to study as much with a weeks notice. I was bummed, but everyone reminds me that I didn't have time.

Comment

• Originally posted by df2338 View Post
                        So, I took the test this morning. 37 applicants at charlotte, I got an 88, and would say that approx 20 passed the test. Math was not as hard as what I practiced in the arco guide, about the same as the learning express. Did the initial interview, now we wait. Agents were saying that you get one choice, not the three I am hearing on here? Does anybody want my study guides? If anybody has a few weeks to get ready, ill ship either or both to you for shipping cost, if you promise to send it to someone else when done and any tips for the panel interview would be useful, if i get that far
                        DF,

Congrats on passing! I was there with you and passed as well.

Did you not get the impression that you were being invited down for the Panel? Did the SA that interviewed you give you the BI forms (CD Rom, etc.)?

By the way, how did that wait feel after the test? Those few minutes, waiting to see if I passed, were some of the most unnerving I've ever experienced!

ATLiens, get back in there and ace that test next time! Don't be discouraged...

Comment

• Hi guys, forum noob here. i will just ive you some background. I am 21 year old senior at psu and about to graduate this summer. ill have a degree in Crime, Law and Justice and I have no experience in LE or any overwhelming work experience. No military as well, I do have great grades and activities however.

To the questions... I know I am way young to become a SA and do not have the life experience that they would like but my career goal would be to become a USSS SA. What do you think the best thing I could do to get on the right path to becoming a SA? I realized I am young in becoming a UD officer as well but I obviously have the best shot with them and not SA. I am most likely going to apply for UD but if I do not get that, what do you think I should do? I have also been looking around the DC area in places like Montgomery County for police jobs. If I must go the local route, anyone from the DC area know of any good police jobs down there so I can get some experience and prepare myself for the SS.

Thanks all, any advice would be great!

Comment

• Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                            Check out MPDC, Balt City, and MSP. You will get tons of "real" experience and it will help you go 1811 in a few years. Who know...maybe you will find a home w/ one of those agencies and stay.

I am former UD, it was great training but really does not prepare you for 1811 -- SA spot like local/state experience.
                            Not accurate. There are MANY, I repeat, MANY UD Officers that have gone on to great careers as an 1811 inside and outside of the USSS. They pick up great training and experience when they become members of Crime Scene, ERT, Countersniper, Training Instructors, etc. And if you want to go USSS SA there are some things that UD can give you that state and local cannot, and that is a great understanding of the protective model the USSS employs. The one area where I'll agree that the UD won't give you great experience for an 1811 position is if you just do the basic duties at either FM, WH or VP. However, that's similar at a local and state agency if you only do routine patrol work. If you want to go 1811 you can't go wrong going federal, state or local, the main thing is that wherever you go that you apply yourself and do more than just the basic duties that are required for the position at whatever department you work for. And one other important bit of info, the USSS and other federal agencies love the fact that UD officers have already passed a polygraph and background.

On a personal note, one advantage UD, USCP, USPP, etc. give you over state and local is that the time you are putting in there counts towards your retirement if you go over as an 1811. In other words, do 5 years state or local and if you become an 1811 you still have to do 25 years. Whereas if you did 5 years with the other departments I mentioned earlier and went over as an 1811 you'd only have 20 to go. Not a big deal when you first start out but when you get closer to retirement it will matter then.
                            Last edited by jimdvs; 02-20-2008, 06:33 PM.

Comment

• thanks guys for the responses. so if i somehow get in UD, when i am eligible to do so, go for CS or ERT?

Comment

• Originally posted by cmm491 View Post
                                Hi guys, forum noob here. i will just ive you some background. I am 21 year old senior at psu and about to graduate this summer. ill have a degree in Crime, Law and Justice and I have no experience in LE or any overwhelming work experience. No military as well, I do have great grades and activities however.

To the questions... I know I am way young to become a SA and do not have the life experience that they would like but my career goal would be to become a USSS SA. What do you think the best thing I could do to get on the right path to becoming a SA? I realized I am young in becoming a UD officer as well but I obviously have the best shot with them and not SA. I am most likely going to apply for UD but if I do not get that, what do you think I should do? I have also been looking around the DC area in places like Montgomery County for police jobs. If I must go the local route, anyone from the DC area know of any good police jobs down there so I can get some experience and prepare myself for the SS.

Thanks all, any advice would be great!
                                Just get your foot in the door anywhere. Dont think that if you want to be a USSS SA or other 1811 that you HAVE to work in USSS UD or other uniformed fed agency. Local, County and State agencies can give you just as good, if not better, actual field experience than some of the uniformed fed agencies. Try to get experience in as many areas as possible to give you an idea what you would like to focus on. This will also look very good on a resume! I considered USSS UD, USCP, USPP and several others back in the day, but decided that I could get just as good, if not better field experience staying local and I don't regret it. Look into your area agencies and compare them vs. what you would do with a fed uniformed agency. Also, take the time to talk to former and current local and fed uniformed officers, like you get on here, to get a well rounded un biased view of the playing field. After a few years with some field experience, you will get a much closer look with some fed agencies for an 1811 slot.
                                Matthew 5:9 "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be known as the children of God."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10635 users online. 390 members and 10245 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X