300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• post has been updated.
    Last edited by schwinpopo; 06-07-2017, 10:01 AM.

Comment

• Hey guys. I am new to this forum and have been reading and looking for any information I can find. I applied for the Special Agent announcement on USAJOBS that closed on April 4th and last Friday I received an invitation to the ELAC for June 10th. I am very surprised that I received an invitation to an ELAC and figured I would probably have go through the traditional application process, if selected at all, given that I am only 24 years old and I just graduated college May 13th with my B.S. and a major in Chemistry.

As such I am a little worried. Thought I would have more time to study and prepare myself. While I have been looking over the study guide since I received my invitation, the SAEE worries me a little given that my background is science and not criminal justice or law enforcement, especially the Detail Observation part. Also, I am not in bad shape but I could be better and might be below par if they give a PT test on Saturday.

As someone who has no experience in the field, could someone give me some idea of what to expect Saturday? Should I wear a strictly black suit with white shirt? The email recommends to bring entertainment and food, do you guys recommend this? Any and all information you guys can share would be greatly appreciated. I am continuing to study and complete the SI forms while trying to find an optometrist to complete the eye examine. Has anyone tried Wal-Mart for that? My doctor could only get me in, in 3 weeks. Thank you all for your help!

Comment

• aspiring_fed
      aspiring_fed commented
      Editing a comment
      I have no experience with ELAC, but don't worry about your lack of experience. If you were selected, it was for a reason. Just go with it. Plenty of people are 1811s who don't have a criminal justice background. The government likes a variety of people working for it. Just do what you can in terms of prep and don't worry about the stuff that is out of your control.

Also, I would follow the directions in the email. If it recommends something, do it. Just wear a professional suit with a neutral colored shirt and tie unless the invitation states otherwise.

• Originally posted by CU17 View Post
    Hey guys. I am new to this forum and have been reading and looking for any information I can find. I applied for the Special Agent announcement on USAJOBS that closed on April 4th and last Friday I received an invitation to the ELAC for June 10th. I am very surprised that I received an invitation to an ELAC and figured I would probably have go through the traditional application process, if selected at all, given that I am only 24 years old and I just graduated college May 13th with my B.S. and a major in Chemistry.

As such I am a little worried. Thought I would have more time to study and prepare myself. While I have been looking over the study guide since I received my invitation, the SAEE worries me a little given that my background is science and not criminal justice or law enforcement, especially the Detail Observation part. Also, I am not in bad shape but I could be better and might be below par if they give a PT test on Saturday.

As someone who has no experience in the field, could someone give me some idea of what to expect Saturday? Should I wear a strictly black suit with white shirt? The email recommends to bring entertainment and food, do you guys recommend this? Any and all information you guys can share would be greatly appreciated. I am continuing to study and complete the SI forms while trying to find an optometrist to complete the eye examine. Has anyone tried Wal-Mart for that? My doctor could only get me in, in 3 weeks. Thank you all for your help!
    Where is your elac?

Comment

• Originally posted by Galeo21 View Post

Where is your elac?
      It is at Fort Meade, Maryland.

Comment

• CU17, I sent you a PM

Comment

• I was invited to the ELAC in Jacksonville at the end of the month but then I just now got an email from my local field office about taking the SAEE with them on the 14th. I've already sent an email to the field office about my conundrum but of course they have yet to respond. Should I just ignore the field office and attend ELAC? my only worry is that in the field office email it says if I don't show for the test ill be taken out of consideration and I definately dont want that. Has this happened to any of you guys? Thanks in advance.

36thID

Comment

• Originally posted by 36thID View Post
            I was invited to the ELAC in Jacksonville at the end of the month but then I just now got an email from my local field office about taking the SAEE with them on the 14th. I've already sent an email to the field office about my conundrum but of course they have yet to respond. Should I just ignore the field office and attend ELAC? my only worry is that in the field office email it says if I don't show for the test ill be taken out of consideration and I definately dont want that. Has this happened to any of you guys? Thanks in advance.

36thID
            My thought is that the field office will tell you that it's your choice. Personally, I'd just go to the ELAC (but be sure to confirm it's scheduled) and just reply to the FO's email with your explanation on why you aren't attending. FO's and HQ can be on different pages at times. It's a no-brainer to attend ELAC if you want a quicker process based on the experiences from others on here. But, people are different.

Comment

• 36thID -- Hey,

I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. I accepted an invitation to ELAC in Jax on June 23rd. I just received an email about taking the SAEE on June 20th. In the email, it said to just decline the invitation to take the SAEE on June 20th and say that you are already going to the ELAC on whatever day.

CU17 - I am in your boat as well. I am a recent graduate, 22. I am a Criminology major but am worried about the SAEE. I have an appointment for an eye exam on Thursday at Walmart. Seems like the cheapest and quickest option.

Comment

• Anyone know when the next announcement is? I applied to the recent one but for some reason they never received my transcripts and a few other documents that were required. I was told that they would be having another announcement very soon. So does anyone know when that may be?

Comment

• bb_aviator and CU17, I am in your boat as well. recent college grad with some national guard experience. I already have a TS/SCI but I doubt it would help / negate getting a new background done. Anyway, here's hoping.

On a side note, anyone know of a good place to stay in Jacksonville near the NAS for cheap?

36thID

Comment

• Strangest thing just happened. I applied for the March 21 announcement and received an email a few weeks back telling me that I was not one of the higher qualified applicants. Earlier today, I received an email with my SAEE scheduled for later this month.
                    Last edited by Assad; 06-08-2017, 07:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Assad View Post
                      Strangest thing just happened. I applied for the March 21 announcement and received an email a few weeks back telling me that I was not one of the higher qualified applicants. Earlier today, I received an email with my SAEE scheduled for later this month.

If you look a few a few pages back, several people have had the same exact experience. Should probably be a little less common, but it's not.

Comment

• Has anyone received the call who is a current or prior federal employee who qualified for a GS-09? Please PM me. Thanks!

Comment

• Can someone provide additional info on FLETC? Are we paid while we are there? What to bring? Will we have time to workout on our own? Would you recommend bringing a car or are they strict about having your own car? Really any information would be helpful..

Comment

• SASeeker
                            SASeeker commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I would like to know this, as well. I was also wondering what the weekends are like. Are we off? Can we fly home on Friday night and return on Sunday?

• LB1811
                            LB1811 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me. You are paid salary+LEAP in FLETC + $5 day per diem, meals are free through the cafeteria. In RTC you are put up in an extended stay style hotel with kitchen. You receive normal pay+LEAP+$61 day per diem. You are responsible for all your own food.
                            As far as what to bring, limited clothing. You will be in a uniform each day of class (polo, BDU pants). You will be in your own clothing after class time and on weekends, but you will have limited space to store in your room. A couple of classes you will be wearing civilian clothes, so be prepared for that. You should invest in a pair of mat shoes. You are not required to have them in FLETC, but you are in RTC. Might as well break them in. They also issue PT gear that you can turn in every time you use. You can only wear their stuff to work out at the gym or track, so unless you are running the trail or PTing out in town, you don't need much of your own stuff there.

You will have plenty of time to PT on your own and are expected to. I am pretty sure the gym is open 24 hours if not it is open most of the time.

Definitely bring a car if you can. You will want to explore the island and get out on weekends. There is only so much FLETC chicken you can eat. Savannah and Jacksonville are only about an hour away as well. You can't drive to class, but as soon as class is over, you are pretty free. There are some nights you will class, but most are during the day. We did no weekends in FLETC. That doesn't mean you won't have studying and homework to work on during the weekend. RTC is another story with a less defined schedule. Your schedule you get at the beginning of FLETC will pretty much stay the same throughout the time there. Yes you can fly home on a weekend. You just need to let your class coordinator know. You can't miss class time, so don't take the last flight back in case of any issues.

Study hard, PT harder and enjoy yourself. There are some fun things to do down there.

• bscat89
                            bscat89 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            LB1811 would you mind PMing me about RTC? I'm a new hire. Head to FLETC in 2 weeks, but just wondering what life/schedule is like at B-ville. I'll be at WFO, so I will have to commute daily, wondering if you went through with fellow agents from WFO who had to do the same. Thanks much!

• Radar1991
                            Radar1991 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thank you. This is very insightful. Also, bscat89, it sounds like we're in the same class and both out of WFO.

• Can anyone tell me what life as a new agent is like with Secret Service? I am progressing through quicker than expected and just want as much info as possible to make sure it will work with my family situation. I have heard mixed things and obviously there is positives and negatives with any agency but want to be as informed as possible.

thanks

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10813 users online. 441 members and 10372 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X