Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Past probationary release...can I get rehired?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Past probationary release...can I get rehired?

Hello! I just have a few questions and I am looking for advice. I have a past probationary release after working 17 months as a peace officer. I am thinking of re-applying with the same agency in the hopes to get rehired. I was not released for anything criminal or for policy violation, simply because I was too young and had a couple of maturity issues...this was about six years ago. I have not worked in a law enforcement setting since, yet I have applied for everything from dispatch to jailer to records officer, to date unsuccessfully. After being released, I had served in the military and have held stable jobs. Additionally, I have not been fired from any job since and I have very strong references.

My questions are as follows:
    -Does getting rehired even sound like a remote possibility?
    -If I were to explore re-applying, where do I start?
    -What type of obstacles should I look for during the application process?
    -Does anyone have any advice from a similar situation they can share?
    -How should I present myself or how should I word my explanation of my release when it comes up in my background investigation?

When the release has come up during oral boards or backgrounds in the past, I consistently stay with the same statement..."I am not the supervisor who made the decision to release me and I cannot say what their reasons were for my termination. I did have a maturity issue as I was only 20 years old at the time of my termination, so I believe that my release was in the best interest of the department and of their personnel."

Any thoughts on cleaning my statement up? Thanks in advance for helping!
    ~Lil

Surely you jest. If, after completing probation, your agency terminated your employment, then you were fired for cause. You can sugarcoat it all you want by calling it a "past probationary release ", but the fact is, you were canned.

When you are terminated from a civil service position as a cop in California, the Peace Officer Bill of Rights requires that your agency notify you of the reason for their action and provide you with all evidence they have against you. So, to tell an oral board, "I am not the supervisor who made the decision to release me and I cannot say what their reasons were for my termination" is like saying, "I'm going to pretend that I don't know why I was fired and I think you are all stupid enough to believe me."

Without knowing what you did to warrant termination, it is impossible to answer your questions. Even if what you did is not something that would be a permanent bar to further law enforcement employment, nobody is going to even consider you until you can stand in front of the board and say, "I was terminated because I did such and such, but that was six years ago and since then, I've done this and that to improve myself. In addition, since termination I have maintained an unblemished employment history and believe I should be given a second chance."
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Whoa! Hold it! Let me clairify...

I was released from probation, one month shy of being off probation...the title to my post meant I have a release in my past, not that I was past probation when released...sorry about that! Does this help my situation at all or make it worse? Maybe it doesn't change anything?

Thanks!
      ~Lil

Comment

The phrases, "I don't know why I was terminated," and, "I believe that my release was in the best interest of the department and of their personnel," contradict each other. How do you know if it was in the departrment's best interest to reject you if you don't know why they did it in the frirst place? To an oral board, those statements make it sound like you are lying.

While departments can reject you from probation without cause, they usually tell you why, or what you did. If you really don't know, I would go back to your agency, ask them why and ask to review your personnel file. Only when you find out will you be able to meaningfully address this issue with an oral board or your background investigator.

Comment

Ahhhhh...gotcha!

I understand the contradiction now...I know why I was released...simply because I was too young. Heck, hindsight is 20/20 and I even see that my age (mentally) was a problem. Here I am six years later and I am ready to jump back in...

So, what do you think...would re-applying at the same agency I was released from be in vain?

~Lil

Comment

Lilranchgirl,
            To be released from an agency even if it's not criminal or a policy violation can be a hard obstacle to overcome. It's a red flag to another agency thats looking to spend the time and money to hire you when it did not work out for another agency. Only you know what the situation was that brought about your dismissal. Be realistic on what occured. The fact that you have been turned down for dispatcher,jailer and records officer positions makes it seem that it might be a more serious background issue then you think. Just be honest with yourself. On interviews you state that you don't know the reason for your termination, I would own up to it. This is what happened, and this is what I have done to change. If your goal is to be a police officer again keep on trying, apply everywhere, time is on your side and I would continue to apply to every agency you can think of, except to your old agency. I'm sure the decision to terminate you was not taken lightly and the odds are probaby against you, but you will never know unless you try. You got on a police agency once, do it again. I hope it works for you

Comment

Originally posted by lilranchgirl
              I know why I was released...simply because I was too young.
              That's still not going to cut it. "Too young" is not grounds for being let go. There needs to be specific, unacceptable conduct. Now, that conduct may be the result of immaturity, but you can't gloss it over by simply saying you were too young and expect an oral panel or a background investigator to let it slide. You are going to have to be specific about what you did wrong. Being unable to identify and discuss your shortcomings and being unable to tell folks what you've done to correct them is a good way to get disqualified.

Again, I don't know what specifically you did wrong and I am not going to ask you to confess it here to the whole board. But you need to do a self assessment, identify the specific acts that caused you to be terminated and then be able to address them with the board and BI. While you may feel embarrassed, the board is not going to judge you morally. Its strictly business to them and after your interview is over, they have completed their notes and moved on to the next applicant, it is unlikely they will even remember your name, let alone your employment history. Being refreshingly candid with them about your shortcomings and telling them what you have done to overcome them scores a lot more points that trying to verbally waltz them around the room.

If you have applied several times with your old agency since you were let go and not been accepted, I think you are pretty much done with them. However, depending on what you did, it may not be a bar to other agencies. You just need to get your act together for their oral board and BI.

Comment

I'll give you the direct answer....

It's highly doubtful, no make that extremely doubtful that the same department would be willing to re-hire you.

I would look elsewhere (the larger the department the better) if you want to jump back into law enforcement.
                "Get busy dying or get busy living".....Andy Dufrain, Shawshank Redemption

Comment

L-1 gives excellent advice, you would be wise to take it.

The immaturity explaination doesn't cut it- were you insubordinate? I'll take the road L-1 won't take and ask you to provide details (if you truly want an accurate answer tailored to your specific situation).
                  Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

After a little research...

Originally posted by BrickCop
                    L-1 gives excellent advice, you would be wise to take it.

The immaturity explaination doesn't cut it- were you insubordinate? I'll take the road L-1 won't take and ask you to provide details (if you truly want an accurate answer tailored to your specific situation).
                    OK...I contacted a person that I still sort of keep in touch with at the department I was released from and this is what I was given. Somewhere in my release paperwork is a statement from a supervisor that questions my integrity. He couldn't give me specifics on the issue or issues, but he did say that is had something to do with routine paperwork that was not submitted properly.

I asked if it was a report or something related to a call or investigation. He replied no, that it had something to do with an accident I was involved in with a department vehicle. I do remember the accident (a fender bender) and my supervisor writing me up for not reporting the accident to the motor pool, through the chain of command. I also remember refusing to sign the write up stating that I had notified my supervisor, who was my chain of command. It was later discovered that my FTO had never signed off of that part of my training record (proper notification channels after an accident). Even still, I had no recourse. I was written up time and time again for the next month about the most rediculous things, including taking two parking spots in the county garage by parking my POV on (not over) the white line. Finally, I was ultimately released.

What are my options here? How can I find out more and if there is something I can do to get rid of this integrity issue? Thanks for all of your advice! Is there anything I can do to fix this issue?

~Lil

Comment

Can I get re-hired?

You're still playing dodge-ball. Here it is. You screwed up. Look yourself in the mirror and accept it. If you still have a desire to be a police officer, you'll need to appy at an agency other than the one that terminated you. As L-1 suggested, look the Oral Board in the eye and tell them what happened. Be totally honest on your SPH. What you did was not the worst screw-up in the world, but trying to sugarcoat it, rationalize , and justify it still makes you look pretty imature. If you have a good job history since your dismissal, that will go a long way in your favor. In other words, you're going to need to convince any prospective department that you've matured considerably since your being let go.

Comment

Lilranch. Each post you make here, you add more and more to your original statement. And you say you were released over an "integrity" issue.

To sum it up promptly for you. You are going to have some issues getting hired, either at your old Agency or to any you are applying with now. However, you need to be honest with yourself and what really happended. We don't know and it seems you are unsure.
                        "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

OK...I contacted a person that I still sort of keep in touch with at the department I was released from and this is what I was given. Somewhere in my release paperwork is a statement from a supervisor that questions my integrity. He couldn't give me specifics on the issue or issues, but he did say that is had something to do with routine paperwork that was not submitted properly.

I asked if it was a report or something related to a call or investigation. He replied no, that it had something to do with an accident I was involved in with a department vehicle. I do remember the accident (a fender bender) and my supervisor writing me up for not reporting the accident to the motor pool, through the chain of command. I also remember refusing to sign the write up stating that I had notified my supervisor, who was my chain of command. It was later discovered that my FTO had never signed off of that part of my training record (proper notification channels after an accident). Even still, I had no recourse. I was written up time and time again for the next month about the most rediculous things, including taking two parking spots in the county garage by parking my POV on (not over) the white line. Finally, I was ultimately released.

What are my options here? How can I find out more and if there is something I can do to get rid of this integrity issue? Thanks for all of your advice! Is there anything I can do to fix this issue?

~Lil
                          If they wrote you up for those things, why would you want to work there again? Are the same people/supervisors/FTOs still working there? You are better off working somewhere else. I personally would never go back to a place that fired me for whatever reasons. Good luck.
                          "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called Sons of God - Matthew 5:9

Comment

~Lil
                            Your Nutz to want to go back...They decided to fire you after you stood up for yourself....Hence the BS documentation and jamming u up for bs stuff.
                            Politics suck

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy1
                              Your Nutz to want to go back...They decided to fire you after you stood up for yourself....Hence the BS documentation and jamming u up for bs stuff.
                              Politics suck
                              I agree with Stormy1 and I am in the same boat as lilranchgirl except that I truly do not know why I was terminated nor will they tell me. All I know is that all my evals were excellent, my productivity was above par and the only problem that I had is that I was slow at report writing but the chief said that they would never fire anyone for being slow at report writing.

On my last day of work, a new Sergeant that I was working for rode in the passenger seat. The next day, I was canned.

This Sergeant only reviewed my performance for less than 2 months and he nitpicked every thing that I did. I tried to do what I could to please him but I wasn't able to please him. It was as if he had it out for me.

Here is the kicker, they took me back as a Reserve but now everyone is real secretive around me and I don't feel comfortable working there. I am in the process of applying with other departments but my department is saying something to the other departments to keep them from hiring me.

I feel lilranchgirls pain but unfortunately for me, I am 30 years old and have already devoted my life to law enforcement.

Reserve Cop stuckinsecurity
                              Former Sgt/USMC
                              Former Police Officer
                              Current Private Investigator

----------------------------------
                              US Capitol Police
                              Applied: 8/2010
                              Offer: 8/2010
                              BI: 8/2010
                              POST Test: ?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4355 users online. 211 members and 4144 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X