• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Muaitai
    Forum Member

• Muaitai
    replied
    First of all, this is my first post on this board and I am very happy.

Webcruiser, I just took my CJ BAT after I decide that I wanted to be a Police Officer.
    I am 37 years old and for 10 years I have been thinking about it, the reason is I got married 10 years ago and my wife was against the idea, of course she was afraid, then we had three girls and the decision became even harder; when I finally decided I would do it because that’s what I wanted, came the age factor.
    On the CJ BAT I saw all kinds and shapes, like you see in American Idol (with all respect), but there also I saw 3 gentlemen that apparently were 50+, that encouraged me because I thought I would be the oldest guy around.
    To make it shorter, if you think you can do it go for, life is short and we need to grab our dreams and make it become a reality or regret later.
    Like they say “BE ALL YOU CAN BE” .
    Muaitai
    Forum Member
    Last edited by Muaitai; 01-27-2007, 04:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kodiak PA
    Forum Member

• Kodiak PA
    replied
    I do physicals on police officers all the time. As long at they are corrected to 20/20 I have yet to see the uncorrected vision become an issue.

Also, there's an advantage to hiring older guys. When you graduate from the academy you will already look lik an experienced old cop!

Leave a comment:

• ILikeCheesecake
    Forum Member

• ILikeCheesecake
    replied
    Originally posted by webcruiser
    Thanks for all the input. I've gone ahead started researching various departments. One thing I've run into is my vision, which admittedly has deteriorated with age. It's 20/2000 uncorrected for distance but correctable to 20/20 with glasses. That eliminates me as a candidate for some agencies but not for others. I'm forging ahead!

mmm, if those are normal glasses, you might want to try lasik. I did it, best money I ever spent. went from 20/200 in both eyes to 20/20 20/15

Leave a comment:

• webcruiser
    Forum Member

• webcruiser
    replied
    Thanks for all the input. I've gone ahead started researching various departments. One thing I've run into is my vision, which admittedly has deteriorated with age. It's 20/2000 uncorrected for distance but correctable to 20/20 with glasses. That eliminates me as a candidate for some agencies but not for others. I'm forging ahead!

Leave a comment:

• Kodiak PA
    Forum Member

• Kodiak PA
    replied
    One of my patients from a few years ago went through the Alaska State Troopers academy for a village safety officer position. He was over 50 and won the physical fitness award. I would not want to tangle with that guy. I think it even made the papers.

Leave a comment:

• CPDjock
    Forum Member

• CPDjock
    replied
    There are more than a handful of 40-somethings and a 52 year old in the MPD academy now. I say go for it! If you're heart is in it you'll do fine!

Leave a comment:

• CruiserClass
    Forum Member

• CruiserClass
    replied
    Originally posted by nrneuha
    What have you got to lose? Some states/agencies have a minimum age requirement to start with. Can you pass the physical requirements? If you can pass the P/T, then I say go for it. If you are in that good of shape at 50, I'd hire you.
    Ditto. Seriously, what do you stand to lose? Why live with the regret of "what-if" and "I shoulda" when you don't have to?

Leave a comment:

• Doublen

• nrneuha
    replied
    What have you got to lose? Some states/agencies have a minimum age requirement to start with. Can you pass the physical requirements? If you can pass the P/T, then I say go for it. If you are in that good of shape at 50, I'd hire you.

Leave a comment:

• MountainCop
    Forum Member

• MountainCop
    replied
    Webcruiser: I went through the Academy at 51. If MY old behind can do it, you certainly can.

You will also have the life experience of maturity and being able to deal with people without going into Rambo mode all the time - a lot of departments are now realizing that is a great advantage.

Do it. Whatever happens, you will not regret it!

And just remember: Old age and treachery will ALWAYS prevail over youth and skill

Best of luck - keep us posted!

Leave a comment:

• Irishluck31
    Forum Member

• Irishluck31
    replied
    Never too old.

retired Military do it all the time. A friend of mine was 49 when he got hired. he just turned 62 and is going to retire in a year with a second pension.

he is still going stronger than most of our rookies.

might try other states. Michigan is great for late entries.

Leave a comment:

• D Wire One
    Forum Member

• D Wire One
    replied
    Webcruiser... I respect your ambition and wish you all the luck in the world!

Leave a comment:

• Ejohnson
    Forum Member

• Ejohnson
    replied
    I'm 39 and I just completed the Academy here in Michigan. Believe me, there are a lot of guys and gals 30+ entering the academy now. You're not too old yet, so do it!

Leave a comment:

• GrayState
    Forum Member

• GrayState
    replied
    I wish that I had the wisdom of 50 years. Do it at don't look back. Some of the older folks can whoop the younger folks physically. It is whatever you choose to make it. One of my hurdles is looking much younger than I actually am.

Leave a comment:

• webcruiser
    Forum Member

• webcruiser
    replied
    Thanks for the input everybody! All very uplifting. Yeah, I'm gonna go for it!

Leave a comment:

• CincyCop
    Former Cincinnati Police

• CincyCop
    replied
    Go for it, webcruiser!

There were many in our recruit class that were in their mid to late 40s (I was 40 at the time). A few recruit classes prior to ours included a 50 plus year old recruit. Everyone made it through the academy just fine. I agree with you regarding the background investigation being a hurdle as a result of much work history. My background investigation seemed to take forever (relative to the younger recruits' background investigations) due to the fact that the BI needed to hear back from many former employers. Good luck with it!

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4035 users online. 245 members and 3790 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X