300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HSIApplicant View Post
    This would have been my 4th time applying but I’m not this time around. Seems like they go for special forces/languages/agents etc not street cops. No worries though.
    yes, I mean, I do my own investigations on patrol- start to finish etc. not prior military.

Comment

• Might be a stupid question - but I was under the impression that the online essay/questionnaire gave you a pass/fail result fairly quickly? Or do you not get a result until you submit the short answer questions, documents, and resume? I took the online assessment last night and was just curious

Comment

• Badger99
        Badger99 commented
        Editing a comment
        My understanding is if you don't pass the online essay/questionnaire you're not then directed to submit the additional info.

• NYC1175
        NYC1175 commented
        Editing a comment
        What Badger said. If you get to the page asking you to upload documents and answer the experience questions, then you passed the online assessment.

• OCN_1
        OCN_1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Copy, well that’s good to know. I was waiting all night for a pass/fail email. Thanks for the response

• Hey dudes, first time poster and long time lurker. Nov '19 applicant and just took my PRT this morning (was the only one there surprisingly enough). Wanted to post my timeline on here to give people some hope that the process is still moving along, albeit slowly for most folks due to COVID. I selected the D.C. location as I'm local in Arlington which is maybe why I got to BEX/OA when I did. All in all, given the hundreds of pages of info on here, blazing fast pace through the hiring process. (though I had a current TS and was granted reciprocity, just took an additional form they gave me to fill out) Honestly, I doubt it could have been a more professional experience. Hopefully a high enough OA score to get a phone call in 2021 for a class. Highly recommend folks get on the Instagram DSS pages. Lots of good info on there. Keep at it.

Application: 15 November '19
      Moved to QEP email: 2 February '20
      Passed QEP email: 8 June '20
      Passed BEX/OA (D.C. location): 19 August '20
      HR packet received: 27 August '20
      Security packet submitted: 14 September '20 (requested reciprocity for a recently adjudicated TS)
      Medical clearance: 1 October '20 (done at the state medical facility in D.C. Highly recommend for a one stop shop.)
      TS reciprocity granted: 1 November '20
      Suitability Review Panel: 13 November '20
      PRT: (D.C. Location): 3 December '20 (you'll get about a 2 week notice one you pass the SRP and be able to pick between two dates)
      Register Letter: 3 December '20
      Last edited by hcarm15a; 12-03-2020, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• NYC1175
        NYC1175 commented
        Editing a comment
        Firstly congrats on the news! As far as the register goes, what happens if you get on it, get placed lower on the register and basically time out without getting picked up for a class? Do you have to basically go through then entire application process again at the next announcement?

• Badger99
        Badger99 commented
        Editing a comment
        NYC1175 Yes if you time out off the register you must reapply. Also, even if you're on the register if it's been 52 weeks since you last applied you can apply again to the same announcement, possibly setting yourself up to get a higher score on the register and a sooner EOD date.

• supNova95
        supNova95 commented
        Editing a comment
        hcarm15a Thank you for your timeline and I just applied for their current announcement. I haven’t been able to locate anything on the minimum you need to hit on the PRT. What is the minimum for each category? Thank you!

• hcarm15a
        hcarm15a commented
        Editing a comment
        PRT standards:

https://careers.state.gov/wp-content...sed-161019.pdf

• https://vimeo.com/52097119

DS informal information video.
      Last edited by blackcoffee; 12-03-2020, 01:17 PM.

Comment

• Shadowtrain
        Shadowtrain commented
        Editing a comment
        A classic.
        Def a once you know... you know.

• Dudes, what a fast follow up. Got an email last night for the 19 January orientation. That's a same day PRT, register notification, offer letter. What a ride.

Comment

• NYC1175
        NYC1175 commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice, so you got selected off the register?

• hcarm15a
        hcarm15a commented
        Editing a comment
        yeah man, like, on the register for a whopping five hours. nuts.

• Anthropologist
        Anthropologist commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow. Congratulations!

• NYC1175
        NYC1175 commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome! Congrats man.

• Well I messed up. I wasn't paying enough attention and marked yes to one of the qualifying questions that I should have marked no to. I accidently said that I have been told that I am "Unqualified for Foreign Service" despite never applying for the foreign service. Totally my fault. I tried to reload the page and it wouldn't let me apply with the same info again. Attention to detail! I'll get it next year. Best of luck to everyone applying!

Comment

• Originally posted by porkchop23 View Post

Feeling the same way. Weird that they are already opening another vacancy when they haven't followed up with people like us yet, but maybe that is just a lack of coordination between people in charge of different steps of the process.
        It' a pipeline and there are bodies moving through different stages. People are always retiring, promoted, and changing jobs. Training at FLTEC occurs throughout the year and it takes about 6-9 month to hire someone from vacancy announcement to on-boarding. Oral exams occurs throughout the year as do background investigations. There are always candidates who don't finish all the hiring process steps and candidates who decline final job offers.

There was a recent study on how Border Patrol would need to screen 1 million applicants to increase their ranks by 10,000 agents. Many apply online but never follow up. Simple requests for information such as college degrees and birth certificates are never submitted. Federal hiring takes so long that by the time the final job offer does arrive, many candidates have already moved on with their careers.

Comment

• Well I passed the OA. 5.7 and than 10 point veteran points, whatever those are. Not sure if that’s good or not. We shall see!

Comment

• MohawkVet
            MohawkVet commented
            Editing a comment
            Add .35 to your score. Congrats !

• Hey guys,
          Long time observer here. I’m a current 1811 right now, 26 years old, 6 years military with a bachelors degree, and I speak 4 languages. I applied last year but somehow they told me that my degree’s conferred date was inaccurate. I’m really hoping I can do it this year.

I’m a current 1811 and I feel really fortunate to be able to do this at some a young age, but joining DSS has a been a dream of mine.

Anywho, I submitted my application, uploaded my documents, and that’s where I’m at. What should happen next? Any estimates? Do we know how many people applied this year? How many they’re looking for? How big are the classes generally?

Comment

• Pieman88
            Pieman88 commented
            Editing a comment
            I don’t mind much stepping down. I’m single and don’t have many responsibilities in my personal life.

I hope they’re willing to match, right now I’m a GS-11, so not too high, but should help my starting pay.

I previously spoke to a DSS agent who told me I won’t have to attend CITP again, but will have to attend all the follow training. It seems like DSS does the most training.

So being an 1811, doesn’t help me in any way? Haha I was counted it helping push me forward.

• Shadowtrain
            Shadowtrain commented
            Editing a comment
            @Pieman88
            If you're single and don't have a lot of responsibilities in your personal life then, by all means, go for it! It's a very unique gig.

HR will have the final say on what your starting pay is and if you'll have to do CITP again. In a normal world, they should put you through the add-on and waive CITP. It's worth sending an email to HR for clarification.

The add on is longer than most special agent basics, but it's good training. After BSAC (Basic Special Agent Course), you'll be going to another course known as High Threat which teaches you advanced tactics.

Being a current 1811 may help in the interview and "experience" category but the initial steps are the same for all.
            Good luck!

• Pieman88
            Pieman88 commented
            Editing a comment
            Did a lot of you actually apply this year?

• DSS2501
            DSS2501 commented
            Editing a comment
            If you get into a class you need to provide your BSAC certificate from FLETC to HR. One of my classmates when I went through was coming from an 1811 gig but still had to go through FLETC. Always keep that handy for any 1811 gig. I know classes had trainees skip FLETC but were basically just doing administrative work at Washington Field Office. Not sure how it would work if you were assigned a different field office on flag day.

• Got word in June that I had passed QEP. Along with that they said that "when we are ready to schedule your OA, we will reach out to you." It has obviously been six months since then, which is what I would consider to be a decent amount of time. While I understand that they "will reach out to me" would it be of any use to express my continued interest in the position/request an update on my case status?

Comment

• Shadowtrain
            Shadowtrain commented
            Editing a comment
            Never hurts to ask.
            It's a process with many moving parts and for your own sake, it's good to know where you're at while planning for other things in your life.

• Originally posted by hcarm15a View Post
          Dudes, what a fast follow up. Got an email last night for the 19 January orientation. That's a same day PRT, register notification, offer letter. What a ride.
          If I am understanding correctly, it sounds like there is a larger demand for agents as there is a supply of qualified candidates, and thus they were forced to all-but-directly transition you through the register and into a class, though I'm interested in other hypotheses.
          Last edited by porkchop23; 12-23-2020, 12:42 PM.

Comment

• So for those who have done the process, I'm guessing an application in early December means a Moved to QEP email in February or so?

Comment

• porkchop23
              porkchop23 commented
              Editing a comment
              That was indeed the approximate timeline for the 2019/2020 cycle, though COVID may affect this one.

• Pieman88
              Pieman88 commented
              Editing a comment
              I hope so. I’m just hoping they show interest in me this year.

Hope the process is quicker
              Last edited by Pieman88; 12-27-2020, 08:37 PM.

• Has anybody heard any updates?

Comment

• The "Off The X" Podcast by former DSS SA Cody Perron (Author of "Agents Unknown") is totally worth listening to as a current and future Special Agent. I describe it as informative, authentic and entertaining.

-SA Blog
            www.specialagents.org
            Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 10.13.28 AM.png

Comment

• Received generic rejection email that my overall score was below the established cut-off score.

2nd time applying. 1st time 5 years ago I made it all the way to the interview with basically no experience or qualifications besides Bachelor's.

Don't really understand how they compute scores as I am a current 1811, TS/SCI, Master's, Vet Preference, etc.

Comment

• NYC1175
                NYC1175 commented
                Editing a comment
                Welp, I have similar qualifications to you gentlemen (two degrees, veteran, substantial work experience). I haven't received an email yet, but I'm guessing it's a matter of time now...

• Appdin
                Appdin commented
                Editing a comment
                Received same email. Not sure how they are computing these scores.

• NYC1175
                NYC1175 commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, it looks like I'm moving on to the qualifications review. Not sure how the score is computed, but it says I was "at or above the required score." I'm assuming it's based off the answers to those personal questions on the application

• Razor1775
                Razor1775 commented
                Editing a comment
                Your score is based off of the first essay question and the multiple choice questions. Not sure how they grade the essay. The cutoff score is based on the number of applications and the expected hires over the next few years. Your experience, security clearances, etc does not come into play until the Quality Review.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3769 users online. 164 members and 3605 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X