Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice work. I still haven’t even got an email yet. Maybe they’re starting east and moving west haha

Comment

• Thanks for the comments. I am in Texas, but I choose to do my OA in DC. I also just received this email from State. It is only the first part of the email, but says everything. Hang in there. It's worth it.

Dear Candidate:

Thank you for your continuing interest in Foreign Service Careers. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Board of Examiners Assessment Center closed temporarily for in-person oral assessments. We understand that you may be eager to pursue your candidacy and we regret this delay.

Comment

• Co0311
        Co0311 commented
        Editing a comment
        Bummer, just received my scheduling email on the 27th for DC.

• Co0311, I have no idea then. Hopefully my email that I received was a mistake. Good luck.

Comment

• Co0311
        Co0311 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. Looks like I'm still on for DC in a couple weeks.

• Originally posted by ztschindler View Post
      Passed the PRT today and was placed on the register.
      Congrats! Is there a link anywhere to what the PRT minimum standards are?

Comment

• Hi everyone. First time posting here. I applied to the November 2019 opening, and I passed OA and got the conditional in October 2020.

I've gotten all the medical clearance paperwork and have been working on completing it. Yesterday, I had an eye exam and found out that my uncorrected vision no longer meets the 20/100 in each eye requirement. I'm still 20/100 uncorrected binocular, just not in each eye. The last time I had an eye exam was in 2018, and my vision was passing at the time. I'm going to look into getting LASIK, but I'm worried I'll get booted from the process and have to re-apply.

I emailed the pre-employment coordinator, but I just wanted to see if anyone has experience with getting LASIK after you have gotten COE.

Comment

• Co0311
        Co0311 commented
        Editing a comment
        A friend had a similar experience and was medically disqualified, even though surgery is also possible for his vision issues. That's just one experience of course, but he wasn't allowed to waive his current vision issues.

• FlashTACP
        FlashTACP commented
        Editing a comment
        Congrats! Hopefully everything works out for you. I’m still waiting....like a lot I believe. I opted to test in DC even though I’m in Dallas. Hopefully they let me come out soon.

• fraudcop
        fraudcop commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the replies guys. I heard back from DSS a couple days ago and they said I can continue in the process if I get LASIK soon! Hopefully I will have it done within the next few weeks.

• So I am slated to conduct the assessment next month in VA. Hopefully all goes well!!

Comment

• https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/585291000

Comment

• I have not heard anything regarding the OA. Tried sending an email but no reply... I opted to interview in San Francisco. Anyone else still in limbo? Hopefully I’m still on their radar.

Comment

• FlashTACP
            FlashTACP commented
            Editing a comment
            So they told me they have slowed their traveling interviews down due to the pandemic. I had initially selected Dallas as my interview location, but they told me I could do mine in DC if I paid my way. This was for the 2019 vacancy.

• Co0311
            Co0311 commented
            Editing a comment
            DC OAs seem to be moving forward still.

• What's the general wait time between submission of the application and the QEP email? If you don't make the cut at the QEP panel, do they also let you know?

Comment

• New entry level DSS vacancy posted until December 7th! Good luck to all.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/585291000

-SA Blog
            www.specialagents.org

Comment

• Bidstar
              Bidstar commented
              Editing a comment
              [message deleted]
              Last edited by Bidstar; 12-15-2020, 03:45 PM.

• Originally posted by DSLB2020 View Post
            I have not heard anything regarding the OA. Tried sending an email but no reply... I opted to interview in San Francisco. Anyone else still in limbo? Hopefully I’m still on their radar.
            Feeling the same way. Weird that they are already opening another vacancy when they haven't followed up with people like us yet, but maybe that is just a lack of coordination between people in charge of different steps of the process.

Comment

• specialagentblog
              specialagentblog commented
              Editing a comment
              TO: porkchop23

There will *always* be ongoing vacancy announcements because not all applicants who pass the selection process are deemed "Best Qualified" and given final job offers. For example, my agency recently had a posted vacancy; we received 15K or so applicants; eventually 300 or so made it all the way and from there the top 100 were given job offers. Approximately 70 or so made it to the academy (last minute fitness fails or withdrawals) and went on to become SA's. The remaining 200 or so finalists...were then just dropped. If any of them wanted a chance; they would have to re-apply to the next announcement and hope they rank higher....yes; the system is screwy but that is what applicants need to learn to navigate. Hint: This is like a test that is graded on a curve which you can take over and over again (meaning; always re-apply to a new announcement unless expressly prohibited).

SA Blog

• titoCA321
              titoCA321 commented
              Editing a comment
              Some of the 15K applicants don't even show up for the first written test.

• Edit I didn't want this to come back as sounding negative, cause I love positive vibes. Keep pushing for your dream and goals people!
            Diplomatic Security Training - YouTube
            Last edited by OutofRoll; 12-02-2020, 09:11 AM.

Comment

• I’ve always thought DSS would be awesome but now that I’m married with children, I’m a little hesitant. I read the first dozen or so pages in this thread from 2007, is there any reason to think things have gotten any better in terms of work life balance (mainly the short-notice, extended TDYs)? I don’t mind moving my family to embassies around the world or offices within the US, and I understand I would probably have to do a solo hardship post at some point, but the frequency and length of travel during domestic assignments (described earlier in this thread) seemed like it wouldn’t be conducive to a healthy family life.

Comment

• Shadowtrain
                Shadowtrain commented
                Editing a comment
                In the world of COVID, nothing is really certain. One of the main reasons people leave is due to work-life balance. It's one thing to be the only person responsible for life decisions, but it's a hundred times more complicated when you have to account for a spouse/kids.

One thing you'll hear with DS, it depends.

• This would have been my 4th time applying but I’m not this time around. Seems like they go for special forces/languages/agents etc not street cops. No worries though.

Comment

• FlashTACP
                FlashTACP commented
                Editing a comment
                Do you have any investigative experience? Honestly, the best agents I have met are guys who were street cops before. I might be bias though, because I’m one too. Haha

• I don’t imagine things have changed too much but it depends on your domestic assignment. I started at Washington Field Office and then the Secretary of State’s Detail. It was great because I was single. I went on everything from a high visibility G20 tdy for 5-10 days to a bunch of high threat posts for 45-60 days. If you get/directed to Mobile Security Deployments. (MSD), you be constantly deployed to places like Mogadishu..

I left DSS because it was not conducive to my family life but most of my classmates are still in and I look forward to summer PCS season to see who is where so I can plan visits post CVOID.

Originally posted by Jwebb514 View Post
              I’ve always thought DSS would be awesome but now that I’m married with children, I’m a little hesitant. I read the first dozen or so pages in this thread from 2007, is there any reason to think things have gotten any better in terms of work life balance (mainly the short-notice, extended TDYs)? I don’t mind moving my family to embassies around the world or offices within the US, and I understand I would probably have to do a solo hardship post at some point, but the frequency and length of travel during domestic assignments (described earlier in this thread) seemed like it wouldn’t be conducive to a healthy family life.

Comment

• Shadowtrain
                Shadowtrain commented
                Editing a comment
                Def. the best gig for a single person.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3329 users online. 152 members and 3177 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X