300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any info would be greatly appreciated:

I'm already an 1811 GS13 with another agency. I just got the offer for the july class and have to accept within a couple days. Anyone with a similar recent situation/first hand experience please help me clarify.

Emailed and called but it's a very short turn around to accept and I dont think I'll reach anyone by Monday. I went from PT test to offer in 2 days. No register wait, nothing.

1. Will I have to do CITP again? I've heard both yes and no. Anyone recently transferred over and did or didnt redo?

2. What's the progression from 6 to 4? As in the steps? I'm sure I'll get 6-14, but will I go to 5-14 as it still is less than GS13? Or the 2 step rule or whatever to a 5-10 then 4-8, I know some people have jumped over from CS GS, so I'm hoping for a concrete answer.

I know what DSS entails. I worked with DSS in the past in a diferent capacity. I understand the life. I Bexed 3 times, started in my 20s before passing on the 4th, now in my 40s.

I'm in shape, tactically sound, and have mil, local and fed LE experience at all levels, plus 5 years of HTP, familiar with case work and protection. My question is how is BSAC now days, for the average person. Giving up my status and creds for yet another academy has me a bit nervous.

Speaking of BSAC, is it going on or are people waiting around with no end in sight?

Thanks.

Comment

• mdcudt
      mdcudt commented
      Editing a comment
      To answer your CITP question, no, you will not have to go through again.

To answer your pay question, you will come in as a 6/14 and then the normal progression will begin without further pay matching for future promotions. Pay matching only applies to the initial grade offered. So yes, you’ll be taking a pay cut initially.

• DSguy
      DSguy commented
      Editing a comment
      mdcudt, can you clarify what you mean by pay matching only applies to the initial grade offered? If a GS13 is stepped out to FS6-14, will he receive 5-14 on promotion or jump down to 5-11 (the lowest paygrade on FP5 that wouldn't result in a pay cut from 6-14)?

AvgJoe - As long as you don't incur a break in service as described in this FAM, you will not be required to attend CITP.

https://fam.state.gov/searchapps/vie...03FAM2140.html

• Shadowtrain
      Shadowtrain commented
      Editing a comment
      @AvgJoe

A few points.
      1) Generally, or at least from the folks I've seen come in, it depends on whether you have a break in service. No break of service usually meant a skip to the add on-portion of BSAC. The final determination will be with HR.

2) My experience when I went through was 6-14, 5-13, and then 4-08. Tenure happened around when I got my 4 and then I got the step bump around then.

I think you'll be perfectly fine with the add-on. It was challenging on some days, but at no point did I feel like I was being smoked for the hell of it. Being in shape and tactically sound is more than half the battle. The experience running cases and protection is just gravy on top of things.

Good luck!

• mdcudt
      mdcudt commented
      Editing a comment
      DSguy - my response was a bit poorly worded. If someone comes in as a 6/14, all future promotions will be in accordance with HR guidelines. So, the employee would go from a 6/14 to 5/13, etc. without regard to continuing to match the employee’s “pre-DS” pay.

• Anymore Oct/Nov 2019 applicants get anymore emails in regard to passing QEP and into interviews? I still haven’t heard a peep.....but holding thumbs they’re just so backlogged.

Comment

• Is the google hangout for those on the register still a thing? If so can I get an invite.

Comment

• i got an email a few weeks ago that stated I passed the QEP and within the next 9 months we would get more information about the next steps and interviews..............

Comment

• Would the OPTEMPO during the approximate 8 months of initial DSS training preclude someone that’s in the Reserves from regularly attending weekend drills? If I get an official offer and stay in the Reserves, I don’t want an OER that states only “Center Mass” ‘cause there’s nothing to rate me on due to missing out of 8 months of drill weekends.

Maybe going into the IRR for a year would be ideal? Thoughts?

Initial application - October 2018
          Passed OA - September 2019
          Medical granted - November 2019
          Security Clearance - Still Pending

Comment

• mdcudt
            mdcudt commented
            Editing a comment
            10Vet - In theory, you could continue to drill while in BSAC but you won’t be in the same location for the entirety of training. Your time will be split between Glynco, DC, and Blackstone. Depending on where you have to go to drill, this could be difficult.

It really depends on where you want your focus to be. I personally did not drill while in BSAC and resumed after training was over because I wanted to be entirely focused on training and not on the logistics of getting to/from drill depending on where I was training for a particular month.

After BSAC, it can be easier or more difficult to drill depending on where you are posted and how flexible your reserve unit is. There are many active agents who balance a DS/reserve career successfully; not to mention FSO’s who do the same. But, sacrifices generally will need to be made along the way to balance such a lifestyle successfully.

• I know you understand this, but DSS is a foreign service, how are you going to attend drills when your overseas for 1-2 years, much less the initial training. Go IRR....you can always get back in if you find a unit that is supportive.

When I was in Army CID, had a buddy who was DSS, our unit was very very supportive and tried to make it work, even allowing him to "do drill" with active duty army units overseas....but he eventually just went IRR and later got out, he had to make the decision.
          Last edited by Kraut0783; 07-18-2020, 09:58 AM.

Comment

• DSguy
            DSguy commented
            Editing a comment
            Before going the IRR route... The IMA is chock full of overseas and DC area opportunities. The COCOMs and TSOCs can use you as well whether in a TPU or IMA capacity. The ability to block drill around an active duty formation's op tempo is another benefit to the IMA. Having a recently adjudicated TS/SCI, if you didn't already, will also open a few doors.
            Last edited by DSguy; 07-20-2020, 08:43 AM.

• Originally posted by Kraut0783 View Post
          I know you understand this, but DSS is a foreign service, how are you going to attend drills when your overseas for 1-2 years, much less the initial training. Go IRR....you can always get back in if you find a unit that is supportive.

When I was in Army CID, had a buddy who was DSS, our unit was very very supportive and tried to make it work, even allowing him to "do drill" with active duty army units overseas....but he eventually just went IRR and later got out, he had to make the decision.
          Tracking DSS is a foreign service. I explicitly stated during “initial training“, not after. While not 100% guaranteed, it’s implied the first duty station after training is somewhere CONUS, not OCONUS. Correct? If that’s the case case, all this is moot due to being stateside. Working OCONUS is another matter, with it’s own set of challenges but I’m tracking those. I appreciate your feedback but I believe you misread my initial post.

Comment

• No worries 10Vet....I have juggled LEO and USAR for many years and finally retired from the USAR in 2015, it's a hard road.....and after initial training, while your first duty station might be CONUS....but after that...who knows. Just how long do you want to stay in the reserves?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kraut0783 View Post
              No worries 10Vet....I have juggled LEO and USAR for many years and finally retired from the USAR in 2015, it's a hard road.....and after initial training, while your first duty station might be CONUS....but after that...who knows. Just how long do you want to stay in the reserves?
              Can definitely empathize. I was a FED/local LEO for almost 10 yrs while juggling Reserves. Challenging at times. I can retire from the USAR in 2 years but I prefer not to. In terms of OCONUS, there’s the Individual Mobilization Augmentee (IMA) program. We’ll see. Someone previously posted recently about this very topic. Quite informative.

However, all this means nothing if I don’t get on the register. If fortunate enough to get hired, then I’ll be able to further advise on the DSS initial training OPTEMPO and whether it possible to attend drill weekends.

Comment

• DSGuy, mdcudt, and Kraut0783, thanks for the great feedback. Now I continue to wait, wait, wait and wait some more.....

Comment

• Anyone know when next opening will be? Currently 35 and have 6 years Fed time from previous position. Not presently a current federal employee. Also curious if that 6 years extends the 37th birthday deadline. Thanks

Comment

• BuffBills123
                    BuffBills123 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ok thanks for the information. It was Fed LE but wasn’t sure if that pushes the 37 year old deadline back if you’re not presently a federal employee.

• mdcudt
                    mdcudt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It has everything to do with retirement calculation under the LE retirement provisions and ensuring you can attain 20 years of covered LE service. A key point is if your previous LE service is covered Under 6c provisions because not all federal LE positions are covered. If it is not, the time will not stop the clock.

• Cardinal14
                    Cardinal14 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This is the correct answer. Former federal time as an 1811 or even former DS doesn’t matter. The only way to get hired after the age of 37 is to be a Veteran. You do not have to be a 20 + year retired.

Once you pass the BEX, Med, clearance, suitability, you will be placed on the registrar. The key factor is being a Veteran.

• BuffBills123
                    BuffBills123 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ok thanks for the help guys

• Run away if you are already an 1811. BS casework, empty suits for "management", SJWs all over, & fake hipsters with deployment beards. Glorified security managers in a Dilbert cartoon. Nice salary for doing very little

Comment

• lookingforward
                    lookingforward commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looks like all your posts are on this thread and are not favorable. Are you currently DSS and are saying all of this from your current experiences?

• Originally posted by blackcoffee View Post
                  Run away if you are already an 1811. BS casework, empty suits for "management", SJWs all over, & fake hipsters with deployment beards. Glorified security managers in a Dilbert cartoon. Nice salary for doing very little
                  Last edited by bobbyknightkrz; 08-01-2020, 03:46 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6138 users online. 404 members and 5734 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X