Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great info

Still standing by. Dream job for sure.

Last edited by DSShopefull; 08-26-2019, 09:33 AM.

Comment

• Lovetocamp
      Lovetocamp commented
      Editing a comment
      Dude you're further ahead than anyone here. I've yet to receive a BEX date. So just be patient, this hiring process takes over 2 years is what I've seen.

Im also of a military background with fed leo experience and college degree.

• Deathcrown
      Deathcrown commented
      Editing a comment
      I wouldn't say it's perfectly normal; your timeline seems FASTER than most. I applied to the Dec 2016 announcement and didn't BEX until Aug 2017. Never heard anything about medical stuff until March 2018. The whole thing took over 2 years. If you read through this thread, you'll see THAT is typical.

It's a looong process and it's the same story with the majority of these agencies.

• BEX date received for Miami in a few weeks

Comment

• Got my phone call a little over a week after my BEX to continue the process. Sounds like they are trying to speed through this process.

Most of the paperwork deadlines I received need to be submitted within 30 days or less.

Have a current TS clearance which they are also trying to transfer over. If that’s the case I’m sure it’ll be an even faster process.

Last edited by BP3; 07-25-2019, 12:58 AM.

Comment

• PineconePatrol
        PineconePatrol commented
        Editing a comment
        Good luck. My HSI tier 5 from October was denied. I've heard of a few HSI denials. Maybe they don't like DHS?

• Originally posted by JeepingLEO View Post

They don't start paying LEAP until after all of your training (CITP and the add-on...about 6 months). However, the nice thing about DSS is that just because you get LEAP does not mean that you don't get paid overtime. Anything over your 10 hours per week is paid as OT. The following is an approximately timeline/pay chart if hired in at FP-6 step 14:

- On 1 Day: FP-6 Step 14 (link to 2007 pay chart)
      - At 7 months (completion of training): FP-6 Step 14 + 25% LEAP + Locality (if domestic)
      - At end of 12 months (1st Year): Automatic promotion to FP-5 Step 13 (calculate promotion: match or exceed pay at the next grade and then add two steps) + 25% LEAP + Locality pay (if domestic)
      - At end of 30 months (2.5 years): Automatic promtion to FP 4 Step 8 +25% LEAP + Locality (if domestic)

After 30 months you will have to compete for promotion (just like the military). Although you will get your step increases every 12 months until you reach step 10, and then it takes 2 years to get a step increase from 10 thru 14.
      Got my offer for the Sep class! Of course, I am happy to accept, and what a privilege it is after the many years in this process. I can't wait to get started! Thank you so much for all the help everyone has provided on this thread. I wanted to evaluate the financial impact over the first two years of employment as I will be taking a large pay cut. In an earlier discussion, the promotion schedule was laid out (above) is this information still correct?
      Last edited by SAPPERDaDDY; 07-26-2019, 09:29 AM.

Comment

• DSS-SA
        DSS-SA commented
        Editing a comment
        DarkVictory - FS pay grades go down in number (toward zero) as they go up, i.e., when you get promoted from FP 06 you would become an FP 05...
        Last edited by DSS-SA; 08-03-2019, 02:17 PM.

• DarkVictory
        DarkVictory commented
        Editing a comment
        DSS-SA - I'm somewhat confused. In my example, I said you'd go from FP 6 (at Step 5) to FP 5 (at Step 4).

Is that not the same as what you are saying? Or am I getting the steps confused?

Thanks.

• DSS-SA
        DSS-SA commented
        Editing a comment
        DarkVictory. You're correct - I misread your post. Apologies if I confused you and others.

• DarkVictory
        DarkVictory commented
        Editing a comment
        DSS-SA - No problem and thank you for the clarification. (And thanks for all your contributions to this thread... it's been tremendously helpful.)

• Realize it's super early, but has anyone from the October 2018 announcement make it to the register yet?

Comment

• Yea there has been a few of us that have posted about it in the past few weeks.

Comment

• Oh that’s right, I remember one now. Must me folks with current TS/SCI and reciprocity? Or did anyone make it through their BI already?

Comment

• Howdy,

For those wondering about clearance reciprocity, I just received notice that State picked up my DOD clearance (hooray). This happened within two weeks of passing the BEX. If you’re in a similar boat, I’d recommend waiting two weeks and then reach out for confirmation. I was told if reciprocity was granted, I wouldn’t receive an E-QIP email, but just wanted to confirm anyways.

Scheduling Medical for next week and hoping for a quick suitability board, then taking the PRT as soon as possible after.

Question for the group: What do you think the likelihood (given things go through and I’m on the register before the end of the month) of making it to the September class? I’m unsure how people feel about sharing their BEX score, but I don’t mind. I’m sitting at a 5.9. If September doesn’t look likely, any ideas on when the next class will be?
            Last edited by Loyola_Rugger; 08-01-2019, 01:13 PM.

Comment

• Burt Macklin
              Burt Macklin commented
              Editing a comment
              When I did by BEX I was told they hadn't had anyone score above a 6, so a 5.9 should probably be very competitive. However, The last vacancy for DSS was around 2 years before this one, so who knows what the register looks like. I don't know which are for DSS, but there are FSS classes at FSI scheduled for 9/16, 1/20, 4/13, 7/20, and 9-14. You do the FSS orientation before CITP.

• originallywest
              originallywest commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't mind sharing. I am sitting at a 6.275 after BEX but am hoping to pick up some extra points after I take my language exam in the coming weeks. I know some others who are at 5.9 though with no vets preference or language skills.

• Diaxen
              Diaxen commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't mind sharing either, I got a 5.9 as well. Should get to 6-6.1ish with vet and language points. Having a really hard time scheduling my medical because I'm currently overseas. Anyway keep us posted and good luck on getting into the September class.

• Well I just passed BEX, not my best performance but I passed and I’ll take it.

Comment

• I have a few questions:

Do you have to qualify for a Class 1 Medical to pass the medical process? If you only qualify for Class 2, then you are out? Is that correct?

Does DS conduct its own background investigations with its own investigators? Do they use any OPM investigators?

Where is the physical readiness test conducted at? Nearest field office to your current location?

Provided you pass everything, when are applicants EODing? 1-2 yrs later? I remember awhile back people were waiting on the register forever.

Comment

• ES90
                ES90 commented
                Editing a comment
                I second the above. Interviewing in a few weeks and I have the same questions.

• CavLT
                CavLT commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't know about medical clearances, but there are class 2 officers so as long as you meet the "reasonable accommodation" it shouldn't be an issue. That being said, DS has some job specific medical requirements.

DS does it's own investigations through DS/PSS.

For the PRT they will offer you locations - I am overseas, so they confirmed that I should be able to coordinate with my RSO to take it.

• blok2400
                blok2400 commented
                Editing a comment
                I spoke to an HR person today and some TS clearances can be transferred over. She was checking to see if mine did. If you don’t have a current clearance I imagine that there’s contracted investigators.

• Afternoon,

Lots of great advice here. I'm currently a 5 year LEO with patrol and recently some Vice experience, in a major US City. My dream is to work a job that allows me to travel frequently, and live abroad, and my wife shares that. My question is, what general things can I do in my career to make my application more competitive? I'm hopefully about to make detective, and am considering doing a MA in the next couple of years.

Not asking for specific career advice, general is fine. I'm sure the question gets asked a lot, so I appreciate any answers.

I may apply during the next opening, though I suspect a few more years of employment and experience are necessary to make me truly competitive.

Thanks,

Comment

• PineconePatrol
                PineconePatrol commented
                Editing a comment
                Focus on the dimensions when you get to the OA. Answer the actual question that was asked fully. Learning a language will get preference points, but you have to get fairly proficient to earn the points from the test

• DSS-SA
                DSS-SA commented
                Editing a comment
                Do not self-assess that you need more experience and skip an announcement. Best case scenario - you're more competitive than you thought, and you get on the Register and get a class date; worst case scenario, you get to go through the process up to a certain point, and hopefully get some feedback from the assessors, or can self-reflect on where exactly you need to improve.

One thing I can tell you pretty confidently is that multiple more years of LEO experience, regardless of the specialization, will likely not tip the scales as a crucial, critical factor. I always tell aspiring agents that DSS is looking for diplomats that they can train to be LE (in our unique areas of expertise and skill sets), not the opposite.

• Harty_G
                Harty_G commented
                Editing a comment
                @ DSS-SA, thats a good thought. Thank you.

After doing my research (especially after reading a lot of these comments), I definitely don't take that approach with my LEO experience. If anything I imagine so many LEO applicants will only make me blend in, not stand out. That's why I'm looking for other avenues outside of LEO.

• Calls and emails for PRT are going out, so check your spam folders and answer your phones!

Comment

• Burt Macklin
                Burt Macklin commented
                Editing a comment
                r0802l yes, but you should have gotten an email from Medical to let you know that you passed that part. The call for the PRT is when I was told/got an email that I passed my BI.

• Seabeedanny
                Seabeedanny commented
                Editing a comment
                BI? It will be an obvious one, I'm sure

• Harty_G
                Harty_G commented
                Editing a comment
                -----------
                Last edited by Harty_G; 08-15-2019, 01:01 AM. Reason: Accidental

• Burt Macklin
                Burt Macklin commented
                Editing a comment
                Seabeedanny background investigation

• Finally got the BEX dates for Houston, TX after 8 months of waiting. It was in my spam folder for 5 days so if you're in TX make sure you check it!
              Current BPA. LET ME OUT!!

Comment

• darkriver
                darkriver commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey Lovetocamp, I finally got mine too! It was also in my Junk folder. Looks like mid-September dates. Time to get serious with the OA assessment guide! Best of luck to everyone.

• For those who have passed BEX, how long after passing did you receive an email regarding next steps? It's coming up on 3 weeks for me and I am debating if I should contact HR. I wasn't given any forms or anything at the BEX. I was just told I passed, given my score, and filled out some forms that the staff took with them. Has this been the common experience?

Comment

• Diaxen
                Diaxen commented
                Editing a comment
                They are supposed to send you a package with instructions and paperwork you have to fill out. My recruitment rep called and emailed me to get in contact with me, she wanted to make sure she had the correct address. Three weeks is a long time, I would reach out if I were you.

O and congrats on passing the oral assessment, who know's maybe we will start together!

• Unbeknownst to me, a BEX confirmation email was sent to my junk mail almost a week ago. I just found out today. A confirmation NLT response was due yesterday 8/25. I emailed back today (1 day late) indicating I will attend the scheduled assessment. Does anyone anticipate any issues with being a day late?

Comment

• Lovetocamp
                Lovetocamp commented
                Editing a comment
                No idea man, I almost missed it too thats why I posted here for y'all to check your spam folder.

• 10Vet
                10Vet commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm GTG, received a confirmation email back.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5991 users online. 264 members and 5727 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X