300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Flyprowlers View Post

So does the sentence "Those who meet this definition will be invited in the upcoming months to the assessment" mean that I'll get invited to the BEX as long I'm proven to be preference eligible???? Hmmm.....
    What's so "hmmm...." about it?

Comment

• Originally posted by DSSWannabe View Post
      What's so "hmmm...." about it?
      I think he was asking a question about the quoted statement containing a subtle nuance indicating that if he is a perference eligible veteran, then he will be invited to the BEX.

That is what I got out of it anyway. I'm not even 30 yet (hanging on at 29), but I always knew those 5 points in my back pocket would come in handy one day...but doubly so for the above poster because he is at the age limit.
      Big Brother is watching

Comment

• DSS-SA, I got a question for you. I see where it says that a DSS Agent is not an 1811, but a 2501, and doesnt fall under the FERS, but the FSPS. Will my current time under FERS start over, or will it just be included in the FSPS retirement time?
        God Bless America

101st Airborne Division, Rakassans Air Assaultttttttt
        3rd Infantry Division, 2BCT

ICE 1811
        Applied: 6/22/09
        Exam: 7/24/2009
        SI/WA: 3/2/2010
        The Call: October 26, 2010
        PRESIDIO BOUND!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jarhead_FBI_SA View Post
          I think he was asking a question about the quoted statement containing a subtle nuance indicating that if he is a perference eligible veteran, then he will be invited to the BEX.

That is what I got out of it anyway. I'm not even 30 yet (hanging on at 29), but I always knew those 5 points in my back pocket would come in handy one day...but doubly so for the above poster because he is at the age limit.
          Yep, that's right. At least, I hope that's the case.

So I just ran home to grab my DD-214, triple-checked it against the veterans' preference criteria, and sent it off to DS. Hopefully, they give this old guy a shot

Comment

• Originally posted by Flyprowlers View Post
            Yep, that's right. At least, I hope that's the case.

So I just ran home to grab my DD-214, triple-checked it against the veterans' preference criteria, and sent it off to DS. Hopefully, they give this old guy a shot
            Sure. As long as the score is competitive enough, it's the double 'IF' statement.

Club DS-Midwest, any calls? Nothing here.

Comment

Last edited by skunkworks; 11-06-2009, 09:13 AM.

Comment

• There is a discussion of this topic on page 101 of this thread (perhaps elsewhere) and here: http://911jobforums.com/showthread.p...ity+retirement.

I definately understand how this can present a huge issue, losing any time when it comes to a pension is no joke. Hope that can help.

Originally posted by jlac20 View Post
                DSS-SA, I got a question for you. I see where it says that a DSS Agent is not an 1811, but a 2501, and doesnt fall under the FERS, but the FSPS. Will my current time under FERS start over, or will it just be included in the FSPS retirement time?

Comment

• I'm a current fed as well. Us FERS people don't get a pension, we use our TSP and get that half-cocked retirement plan. Trust me, you are better off with the FLEO pension by a mile.

Pension is average of top 3 salary years I believe and as far as I know, your years served will count towards that, but I could be mistaken so I will defer to the experts on that one.

On another note, I don't know about the rest of you folks, but I'd give up all of my years served if it meant finally landing the DS SA position. It's not about the money. If it were, I'd be using my law degree to make $160k pushing paper.

Comment

• Originally posted by jlac20 View Post
                    DSS-SA, I got a question for you. I see where it says that a DSS Agent is not an 1811, but a 2501, and doesnt fall under the FERS, but the FSPS. Will my current time under FERS start over, or will it just be included in the FSPS retirement time?
                    I cannot answer our question about FERS credit under FSPS, but I am sure that someone on the forum has made the transition or inquired through HR and can answer for you.

As far as the 1811 or 2501 designation, I believe we have deconstructed this before on the forum. This is a job series designation and the difference is that an 1811 is a General Service (GS) series and the 2501 is the Foreign Service (FS) designation. This difference is meaningless as far as your qualifications, authorities, etc. after completing training.

Comment

• I'm sure many people are going to call BS on the salary thing. I can say that it is true that some lawyers can make that much, however you generally have to work for a larger firm. The vast majority of lawyers actually don't get to work for those firms and thus make between $35,000-$85,000 depending on many other factors (i.e. geography, school attended, practice area). Also the other side of the coin is the debt, many attorneys have between $100K-$250K of student loans between undergrad and law school. This is effectively a $1500 mortgage per month on top of all other expenses.

In fact too many graduates get d***led by the $160K number without thinking about the other factors. This becomes a problem if they don't make it into a law firm because student loan debt is not discharged in bankruptcy unless you meet a nearly impossible standard.

Originally posted by 1811orBust View Post
                      I'm a current fed as well. Us FERS people don't get a pension, we use our TSP and get that half-cocked retirement plan. Trust me, you are better off with the FLEO pension by a mile.

Pension is average of top 3 salary years I believe and as far as I know, your years served will count towards that, but I could be mistaken so I will defer to the experts on that one.

On another note, I don't know about the rest of you folks, but I'd give up all of my years served if it meant finally landing the DS SA position. It's not about the money. If it were, I'd be using my law degree to make $160k pushing paper.

Comment

• Originally posted by stressedwithdss View Post
                        I was 22 when I got my C/O with DSS. Age is less a factor than what you bring to the table, how you present yourself, and how intelligent you actually are. You are screened based off of your suitability to be BOTH an agent and a diplomat attache in the Foreign Service. This is a very important distinction, because there are plenty of people who may be older than you, but that does not necessarily mean they fit the profile of what a DSS Agent is or how they should behave.

Now, that is not to say they would not make a good Secret Service Agent or FBI Agent, but DSS looks for different qualities in its candidates. You are also being evaluated on how well you will adapt to the Foreign Service itself, and overseas life. My impression is that many of the candidates who got C/O had a lot of overseas experienced and tended to be more "international" in scope.

My two points

1811orBust is right the multiple choice is not difficult at all.
                        Well said. I have always told people that they are looking for Diplomat candidates that they can train to be Special Agents rather than Special Agent candidates that they can train to be Diplomats. The "soft skills" of someone who needs to run in diplomatic circles are not as easily taught as the "hard" skills of a Special Agent. Of course, there is overlap, but the traits they are looking for are not necessarily the same as what other federal agencies are looking for in their 1811's.

Comment

• Originally posted by DSS-SA View Post
                          My anecdotal theory is that the younger applicants are more unsure of their qualifications and potential to get hired, so they post more. You are at no disadvantage at all for being older unless you have been unemployed for a decade!

If I may, by way of your user name, repeat the same mantra I have posted every few months since being a member on this forum:
                          The DSS is a very different organization, job, work environment, lifestyle etc. than any other FLE job. This job should not be one of 15 Special Agent jobs that an applicant applies for accross every conceivable agency in the USG just because he/she wants to be a "Fed". Because of our overseas responsibilities, protection mandate, and internal structures and policies borne out of being part of the DoS, I strongly urge applicants to do their research and pick this agency because of the fit. Also, it is insulting to me as an agent when an agent is hired and either a) is still shopping agencies, and leaves within a year or two when they get a "better" offer b) never really goes "all in" and criticizes our agency or mission (in favor of another agency). Regardless, I don't like to see BSAC slots go to people who are not really committed to this career.

Of course I know that things change over time, and many people change jobs over their working life, I just don't like to see training slots and funds wasted on agency shoppers. I am not lashing out at you, I don't know your story at all. It's just when I saw your user name it reminded me of applicants in the past who weren't sure what they really wanted to do. Part of this is my pride in my agency, but my real desire is to steer the best applicants to the agency that fits the best, even if it is not DSS.
                          Thanks HKfan3, Xihaobo, DSS-SA, stressedwithdss for the replies. It's reassuring to know the average age is late 20s early 30s. I know I'm competitive in experience, education, and other skill sets, but no one wants to be "that old guy."

As for the username, it's the way I felt 10 months ago when I first applied for the FBI. ATF and DEA was in my top 3 but were dropped from the list after I researched them further. I want a job that has variety, different job/location/co-workers every couple years. The actual work (investigative vs. protective) doesn't matter as long as it's meaningful. After I realized that, I felt FBI was the only way to go, since their mission is broad. I passed everything and now I'm waiting at that BI stage and should have my answer in 3-4 months. They are picky and I'm smart enough to know not to put all my eggs in one basket, even at the final stage.

Earlier this month, I came across the DSS announcement. Did a little research and found they too have a meaningful mission with a variety of jobs/locations. Plus they have the added bonus of living overseas. I've lived and traveled overseas and enjoy experiencing new cultures. The job sounds awesome to me so I applied.
                          Last edited by maybeFBIatfDEA; 10-23-2009, 03:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by maybeFBIatfDEA View Post
                            Earlier this month, I came across the DSS announcement. Did a little research and found they too have a meaningful mission with a variety of jobs/locations. Plus they have the added bonus of living overseas. I've lived and traveled overseas and enjoy experiencing new cultures. The job sounds awesome to me so I applied.
                            ATF and DEA do have meaningful missions as well, they are different, but definitely not meaningless.

The point is that DS is a completely different animal that differs from any of the agencies you have listed. There is not a single agency that has similar missions.

Another point, you won't be traveling! You will be living(!) overseas. Do not confuse travel with the everyday routine of living in a third world country.

P.S. Travel is big in DS, but you get an idea of what I am trying to say about overseas assignments.

Comment

• Originally posted by DSSWannabe View Post
                              ATF and DEA do have meaningful missions as well, they are different, but definitely not meaningless.

The point is that DS is a completely different animal that differs from any of the agencies you have listed. There is not a single agency that has similar missions.

Another point, you won't be traveling! You will be living(!) overseas. Do not confuse travel with the everyday routine of living in a third world country.

P.S. Travel is big in DS, but you get an idea of what I am trying to say about overseas assignments.
                              Read my post again, I think you missed the point. My point is 1811 jobs are all meaningful, but ATF and DEA didn't have the variety that I'm looking for which is why I preferred FBI with it's "broad" mission. Not trying to put down anyone in ATF or DEA, just not my preferred agency. DSS is both meaningful and has variety.

I'm not confusing the two because I'm living overseas now.
                              Last edited by maybeFBIatfDEA; 10-23-2009, 06:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by maybeFBIatfDEA View Post
                                Read my post again, I think you missed the point. My point is 1811 jobs are all meaningful, but ATF and DEA didn't have the variety that I'm looking for which is why I preferred FBI with it's "broad" mission. Not trying to put down anyone in ATF or DEA, just not my preferred agency. DSS is both meaningful and has variety.

I'm not confusing the two because I'm living overseas now.
                                Excellent! Looking forward working with you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3405 users online. 198 members and 3207 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X